Mailing List Archive

More portage questions
I added the metadata/some-cat to the rsync_exclude list by prefacing every
entry with an '*'. Vastly increased the 2nd phase of sync'ing and cleared up
some storage. I gather that the the cached files end up in
"/var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage/". Would purging the rsync_exclude entries here
cause any problems? I'm guessing that `emerge -S` searches would be faster as
there are less entries to check. There's also the storage issue as well. Thanks
Re: More portage questions [ In reply to ]
Re: More portage questions [ In reply to ]
Alec Warner wrote:

> lnxg33k wrote:
>> I added the metadata/some-cat to the rsync_exclude list by prefacing
>> every entry with an '*'. Vastly increased the 2nd phase of sync'ing and
>> cleared up some storage. I gather that the the cached files end up in
> *laughs*
>
>> "/var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage/". Would purging the rsync_exclude
>> entries here cause any problems? I'm guessing that `emerge -S` searches
>> would be faster as there are less entries to check. There's also the
>> storage issue as well. Thanks
>
> Maybe the benifit is good for you. Those metadata directories in the
> tree are important because generating portage metadata is costly in
> terms of time. Thats WHY we do it.
>
> When you exclude those directories ( or all of metadata/ ) you are
> merely moving the cache time from emerge --sync to emerge <blar>.
> Portage will notice the stale cache and regenerate the metadata on the
> fly. As noted earlier, this generation is SLOW. Maybe you notice,
> maybe you do not. It really depends on whether the queries you run
> against portage hit the areas that lack on-disk metadata.
>
> For extra fun, try rm -rf /var/cache/edb/dep/usr, then an emerge --regen
> and tell me it's fast ;)
>
> As for the emerge -S bit, it won't be any faster. It still iterates
> over the whole tree, and once again, portage will generate the metadata
> locally = slower. Use another tool, ( eix,esearch ) they are better for
> this IMHO. Sorry it doesn't come all built into one tool, we are
> working on it.
>
> Alec Warner (antarus)
<snip>

Heh heh. I should hit the books or something. ;) Actually, I rarely search and
haven't emerged anything so I haven't had the chance to see the effects of my
"insight". I keep thinking "less files = faster 'x' because nothing to do". I
had eix installed until today when I realized I never searched. Anyway, thanks
once again for the err in thinking.