I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

thanks

matt
Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
m h wrote:
> Folks-
> Has anyone thought out user management in a prefix setting. An
> example being apache or mysql which usually run as their own users.
> Is this the plan for prefix too?
>
> I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

Is this a call for system-level user/group account management on prefix
installs, or am I missing something?
Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
On 12-06-2006 15:20:56 -0600, m h wrote:
> Folks-
> Has anyone thought out user management in a prefix setting. An
> example being apache or mysql which usually run as their own users.
> Is this the plan for prefix too?

The last ideas for OSX were to have some propagation tools from prefix
to host OS. This is a bit scary, but would mean useradd actions just
get forwarded. This requires root privileges of course. The portage
people seem to work on something to keep the administration of users
added by Portage, and keep that administration synchronised with the
real password backend. This initiative is very nice for prefix of
course, as it would probably allow us to just plug on that
administration... Sorry, I have no pointers...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

In the past, I had already some implementation for that, where
enewuser()/enewgroup() in case of not being root (uid zero) used some
'root.sh' file, containing real commands for the target-userland to be
executed by real-root, as well as easy-to-parse comments containing the
arguments of previous enewuser/enewgroup calls.

What was missing there: to empty the file once it was executed by
real-root user, because i had no need yet to really add the users as i
did not need to start some daemons installed from prefix-portage yet.

But i needed this temporary "passwd-database" to have egetent()
recognize not-yet-physically-executed enewuser() calls in addition to
real getent-calls.

In the attached 'eutils.eclass' look for access to file
'var/spool/emerge/doasroot' and calls to edoasroot().

-- haubi
PS: I'm happy to be back again to prefix-portage, currently trying to
get some portage-alt-prefix packages to fly on x86-redhat-linux.

--
Michael Haubenwallner SALOMON Automation GmbH
Forschung & Entwicklung A-8114 Friesach bei Graz

Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
Michael-

Thanks for your response. I'd like to have a look at your solution
but didn't see any attachment.

FYI, we have been building prefix under redhat, suse and ubuntu (and
some of their derivitives for a bit know). (We also have most of a
Java 1.5 stack, this isn't even in normal gentoo). It's not currently
publicly available (still waiting for that public repository...).

Let me know what you'd be interested in and I'll see what we can do.

-matt

Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
On 13-06-2006 12:36:20 -0600, m h wrote:
> It's not currently
> publicly available (still waiting for that public repository...).

On -dev a huge thread has emerged over the project Sunrise, several
people seem to have left because of it, and the one responsible hasn't
replied. So I guess we better host it ourselves far away from Gentoo
hardware somewhere...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 12:36 -0600, m h wrote:
> Michael-
>
> Thanks for your response. I'd like to have a look at your solution
> but didn't see any attachment.

Even not in the second mail I sent 4 minutes later, imo with

Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
On 14-06-2006 08:57:18 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 12:36 -0600, m h wrote:
> > Michael-
> >
> > Thanks for your response. I'd like to have a look at your solution
> > but didn't see any attachment.
>
> Even not in the second mail I sent 4 minutes later, imo with
> attachment ?

I've seen no second mail... maybe the mailing list software doesn't like
attachments. *sigh*

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: [PREFIX] User account management [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 09:37 +0200, Grobian wrote:
> On 14-06-2006 08:57:18 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 12:36 -0600, m h wrote:
> > > Michael-
> > >
> > > Thanks for your response. I'd like to have a look at your solution
> > > but didn't see any attachment.
> >
> > Even not in the second mail I sent 4 minutes later, imo with
> > attachment ?
>
> I've seen no second mail... maybe the mailing list software doesn't like
> attachments. *sigh*

hmm, it was 'eutils.eclass.bz2' with ~15kB,
have extracted the relevant bits, trying as plaintext attachment...