Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: New document: Project targets [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On 2005-12-15, at 00:42, Dirk Schönberger wrote:

>>> The MacOSX file system hierarchy is a mix of two subsystems.
>> I think that proper way is make variable PREFIX or ROOT gives
>> as configuriable.
> Problem is that one folder is not enough, because you still need
> access to
> the "classic" Unix hierarchy (/usr/bin, /bin, /sbin).
> Perhaps you also want to use two or more prefixes.
Hm.. but why? I'd use symlinks eg. /usr/bin/wc -> /opt/gentoo/bin/wc,
what resolves those problems.

> The question which executable to start begins to look like path
> resolution
> in a Unix shell, which I don'Ät really wan to implement
> in a simple frontend script.
Global envioment variable eg. PREFIX ponting to /opt/gentoo/ in
shellscripts?

What do You think about it? And why not? :-)

gaber

--
gg: 606 ripe: mg3051 jid: gaber/gentoo.pl
Re: New document: Project targets [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On 2005-12-15, at 09:27, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
>>> Hm.. but why? I'd use symlinks eg. /usr/bin/wc -> /opt/gentoo/bin/
>>> wc,
>>> what resolves those problems.
>>

> This may be a problem if /usr/bin/wc is already an executable
> provided by
> MacOSX
>
>> Or what about a Framework?
>
> Care to elaborate?

Linking /usr/bin/wc into PREFIX root of Gentoo Portage, we dont hurt
OSX.

> I am not really interested in finding perl, but instead the
> executable I
> want to call (/usr/bin/wc in this case)
> Besides, if I do a "#!/usr/bin/env perl", I may find the MacOSX
> provided
> Perl, not the Perl I installed via Gentoo.
> Somehow defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Maybe it's time to look at DarwinPorts, and makes it better. :-)

gaber
--
gg: 606 ripe: mg3051 jid: gaber/gentoo.pl
Re: New document: Project targets [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On 2005-12-15, at 10:47, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
>> Linking /usr/bin/wc into PREFIX root of Gentoo Portage, we dont hurt
>> OSX.
>
> if /usr/bin/wc was not created by Apple/MacOSX, there is no need to
> actually link to /opt/portage (or wherever). This already works and
> is the
> status quo (prefix-less Gentoo).
/usr/bin/wc is provided in OSX by default. But, nevermind. Exists
important
other things in this moment.

What's about wiki for saving draft of assumptions?

gaber