Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
Kito wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Lina Pezzella wrote:
>> On Oct 31, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Grobian wrote:
>>
>>> Would you like to lead this sub-project, define roles, tasks and roll
>>> out a todo list or some minimalistic readme, so people can get
>>> involved and perhaps start wondering around in the code?
>>
>> Personally I think we're too small of a team to necessitate
>> sub-projects like this. This being said, I don't see any problem
>> deferring to kito on this issue, since he is the one with the
>> knowledge on this subject.
>
> Pretty much my feeling, but if it were needed/wanted, it would be an alt
> sub-project as it reaches further than just os x.

You are both interpreting the word 'sub-project' in a way I didn't mean
it. I don't know the right word in english, and perhaps 'track' comes
close. But since it appears that you misunderstood my actual message,
I'll try again:

I would just like Kito to take an active role in the process he's in.
This means that I'd like to see him coordinating, managing and
conducting, as I obviously lack the required knowledge to do so.

Don't nail me on the 'sub-project' thing. Forget about it.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/05, Kito <kito@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> Well. the 2.1 branch has been officially killed, which is the version
> >> Haubi did his original work on, so Brian back ported it just so we
> >> could start testing out the ebuilds in an overlay and have a working
> >> prototype.
> >
> > Well, I'm interested in testing the 2.0 version if possible.
>
> Few more days, and should have an updated tarball to post for testing.

Let me know when there is a tarball, I'd like to give it a go. Will
there be a wiki page to go with it?

thanks

matt

Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
Kito-

How long do you suppose it will be til us common folk can get a tarball?

thanks
matt

Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
getting impatient, eh?

I AM FIRST!!!!

Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
On Nov 8, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Grobian wrote:

> getting impatient, eh?
>
> I AM FIRST!!!!
>

> m h wrote:
>> Kito-
>> How long do you suppose it will be til us common folk can get a
>> tarball?

Hehe, sorry its taking so long... got slowed down by work-work a
little. I need to clean up my changes and split new patches,
hopefully a couple more days(famous last words I know)....
Thanks for being patient ;)

--Kito
Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
thanks for the update. I'll be patient...

Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
Kito-

Just pinging again. Can you provide a status update? Is there a
tarball/patch for prefix available somewhere?

thanks

matt

Re: The road ahead? [ In reply to ]
On Dec 4, 2005, at 11:19 PM, m h wrote:

> Kito-
>
> Just pinging again. Can you provide a status update? Is there a
> tarball/patch for prefix available somewhere?

Apologies once again for the lack of communication....we have been
getting work done though =)

Portage with the autoconf/prefix modifications is in its own svn
branch now, as well as the prefix aware ebuild tree. Developers can
find them at:

svn+ssh://{USERNAME}@svn.gentoo.org/var/svnroot/portage/main/
branches/prefix
svn+ssh://{USERNAME}@svn.gentoo.org/var/svnroot/gentoo-alt/trunk/
prefix-overlay

anon svn access for portage is at:

svn co svn://twobit.net/portage

Sadly, whats in svn is not working at the moment, the recent cache
rewrite caused some problems, so if you want something that works
(sorta) right now, grab the snapshot below.
Currently there is no anon access to the ebuild repo, but we should
have daily snapshots available on the mirrors soon, but here are
current snapshots:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/portage-2.0.53.03.tar.gz
http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/prefix-overlay-05122005.tar.gz

to install portage, just run:

./configure --prefix=${PREFIX}/usr --with-offset-prefix=${PREFIX} &&
make && make install

replacing ${PREFIX} with whatever path you want...

I've only taken care of the Darwin/OS X side of things, so for ELF
systems you'll still need ebuilds for gcc and binutils, a make.conf,
and a valid profile. How you bootstrap is up to you, you can either
create symlinks to your host systems toolchain, manually compile
them, or use haubis toolsbox.

There are tons and tons of bugs and missing functionality, but its a
start =)

Still hope to get a small project page/wiki going at some point when
time permits, any help is appreciated.

--Kito