Mailing List Archive

Current status & KDE for Gentoo OS/X
Hello,
I've been following the Gentoo OS/X project for quite some time, but
I've been lagging behind in the mailing list reading process until now.
Just to give my 2 cents in a few sentences, it seems lots of efforts
have been put recently in some political discussions which unfortunatly
were aborted before reaching a final (constructive) decision (couldn't
even find some proposed drafts), that's too bad for a project which
seems very interesting.
Here is what I think about the project as an external user (take it or
leave it, I don't hold the Truth(TM) anyway) :
well... actually the thing is I'm not really a user of gentoo os/x, I
mean I've had portage installed virtually since the beginning of gentoo
os/x, but never used it, the main reason being that what I'd like to use
isn't working (mostly mc and kde --konqeror & kate--), and the second
one being that.. well, I don't even know what is actually working and so
worth trying.
I think that apart from some manpower and will to test and fix packages,
what could be useful is some "real (power user) use cases". I mean, it
would be nice to know that the project is actually useful to someone,
how and what it is used for, so at least simple user like me would now
that we could use it for that particular purpose, even if it's a niche,
because then, we could extend little by little the tested/working
software. In short, more visibility would be nice IMHO.
Talking about visibility, is the os/x port doc linked from somewhere on
the gentoo.org site? I could only find it via google, but it may be
because it's almort 2 in the morning.

Now, about KDE, has anyone made any work in trying to have a functionnal
version for OS/X, either with QT/Mac or (more probably) X11? Fink does
it (see http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/), so I guess theorically Gentoo
OS/X could, too. If anyone needs a tester for that...

Last, is osx@gentoo.org going to someone? if not, could you look at bug
65748 as it's wrongly attributed to Gentoo Linux instead of Darwin/OS X.

Thanks to all for the efforts you put in trying to give OS X a little
more freedom and more choices.

Best regards,
--
Sylvain OBEGI
Re: Current status & KDE for Gentoo OS/X [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Sylvain OBEGI wrote:

> Hello, I've been following the Gentoo OS/X project for quite some time,
> but I've been lagging behind in the mailing list reading process until
> now. Just to give my 2 cents in a few sentences, it seems lots of
> efforts have been put recently in some political discussions which
> unfortunatly were aborted before reaching a final (constructive)
> decision (couldn't even find some proposed drafts), that's too bad for a
> project which seems very interesting.

The leadership discussion is ongoing under the auspices of gentoo-alt, and
its ML.

> Here is what I think about the project as an external user (take it or
> leave it, I don't hold the Truth(TM) anyway) : well... actually the
> thing is I'm not really a user of gentoo os/x, I mean I've had portage
> installed virtually since the beginning of gentoo os/x, but never used
> it, the main reason being that what I'd like to use isn't working
> (mostly mc and kde --konqeror & kate--), and the second one being that..
> well, I don't even know what is actually working and so worth trying. I
> think that apart from some manpower and will to test and fix packages,
> what could be useful is some "real (power user) use cases". I mean, it
> would be nice to know that the project is actually useful to someone,
> how and what it is used for, so at least simple user like me would now
> that we could use it for that particular purpose, even if it's a niche,
> because then, we could extend little by little the tested/working
> software.

As I see it, the project is (technically) between a rock and a hard place:
Gentoo/Darwin and Gentoo/OS X. Portage is great for the former (but there
isn't much demand), while Portage is not great for the latter (but there
is great demand for prefixed (aka offset) installs, e.g. fink).

> In short, more visibility would be nice IMHO. Talking about visibility,
> is the os/x port doc linked from somewhere on the gentoo.org site? I
> could only find it via google, but it may be because it's almort 2 in
> the morning.

There is some more info at www.gentoo.org -> projects -> gentoo-alt ->
subprojects -> macos.

> Now, about KDE, has anyone made any work in trying to have a functionnal
> version for OS/X, either with QT/Mac or (more probably) X11? Fink does
> it (see http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/), so I guess theorically Gentoo
> OS/X could, too. If anyone needs a tester for that...

I gather that qt works under ~ppc-macos... maybe you should try to build
some of the other deps as well.

-f

Re: Current status & KDE for Gentoo OS/X [ In reply to ]
Finn Thain a écrit :

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Sylvain OBEGI wrote:
>

>>Hello, I've been following the Gentoo OS/X project for quite some time,
>>but I've been lagging behind in the mailing list reading process until
>>now. Just to give my 2 cents in a few sentences, it seems lots of
>>efforts have been put recently in some political discussions which
>>unfortunatly were aborted before reaching a final (constructive)
>>decision (couldn't even find some proposed drafts), that's too bad for a
>>project which seems very interesting.
>

> The leadership discussion is ongoing under the auspices of gentoo-alt, and
> its ML.

Okay, haven't seen any mention of alt on this list, I suppose someone
will keep us updated once any decision is made

>>In short, more visibility would be nice IMHO. Talking about visibility,
>>is the os/x port doc linked from somewhere on the gentoo.org site? I
>>could only find it via google, but it may be because it's almort 2 in
>>the morning.
>

> There is some more info at www.gentoo.org -> projects -> gentoo-alt ->
> subprojects -> macos.

Ouch, ok. I wish there was some link on the standard install docs page
because I can't imagine people non-familiar with gentoo.org structure to
be able to find that one. Thanks for the info anyway

>>Now, about KDE, has anyone made any work in trying to have a functionnal
>>version for OS/X, either with QT/Mac or (more probably) X11? Fink does
>>it (see http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/), so I guess theorically Gentoo
>>OS/X could, too. If anyone needs a tester for that...
>

> I gather that qt works under ~ppc-macos... maybe you should try to build
> some of the other deps as well.

Okay, so I guess noboby really tried it. I asked before trying by myself
because it's long to compile, and I saw on a KDE on OS/X guide
mentionned on /. and OSNews some days ago that it was better to not use
Apple X11 (but it was fink packages, so maybe it's different here).
Anyway, I'll try and report any problems, if someone ever want to tackle
them.

--
Sylvain OBEGI
Re: Current status & KDE for Gentoo OS/X [ In reply to ]
Sylvain OBEGI wrote:
> Okay, haven't seen any mention of alt on this list, I suppose someone
> will keep us updated once any decision is made

> Ouch, ok. I wish there was some link on the standard install docs page
> because I can't imagine people non-familiar with gentoo.org structure to
> be able to find that one. Thanks for the info anyway

Your ideas about visibility are 'healty', but given the state of the
project, we rather not get too much attention. Once we feel we have
solved some major problems which enable lots of other things, I guess
we'd like to increase our visibility and create some awareness among the
users.

>> I gather that qt works under ~ppc-macos... maybe you should try to
>> build some of the other deps as well.
>
> Okay, so I guess noboby really tried it. I asked before trying by myself
> because it's long to compile, and I saw on a KDE on OS/X guide
> mentionned on /. and OSNews some days ago that it was better to not use
> Apple X11 (but it was fink packages, so maybe it's different here).
> Anyway, I'll try and report any problems, if someone ever want to tackle
> them.

Well, everything which is ~ppc-macos or ppc-macos keyworded has a chance
of working. Everything else might also work, have a bug or just nobody
before looked into it. Like Finn said, if you are interested in (parts
of) KDE, you are encouraged to experiment yourself and find out how far
you can get, and eventually report you efforts back to us via bugs
and/or comments/questions on this list.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X