Mailing List Archive

About your bugzilla reports
Hi Dirk,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your numerous bugs reported
in our Bugzilla. It looks to me like you are just going through every
package you find in a given category. This is fine because it
immediately tells us which packages are the low hanging fruit ones that
compile out of the box. However, compilation only is not the only thing
we consider when keywording a package.

The simplest thing we can do, before keywording is checking whether the
compiled binary actually starts. Then we try to figure out if the build
application works like expected on some key points.

Often ebuilds hav USE flags which control additional behaviour and
compilation options. Of course each (combination of) these USE flags
should work before we keyword the package.

In a reply to your latest flood of bug mails, I would like to ask you on
behalf of the Gentoo/OSX team to keep this in mind, and where possible:
1) check at least all of the USE flags enabled
2a) give a quick fling to the build application to see if it works or not
2b) if you perform a test somehow, report, so we can retry that
3) make sure you are not reporting bugs on working packages on packages
already marked ppc-macos or ~ppc-macos

Again, thanks for your contributions. We hope you can ease our lives a
little bit by supplying us with some more detailed info on what you have
tried in order to get what you got.

Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X
Re: About your bugzilla reports [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 08:55:13PM +0200, Grobian wrote:
> In a reply to your latest flood of bug mails, I would like to ask you on
> behalf of the Gentoo/OSX team to keep this in mind, and where possible:

Why has this gone out to the gentoo-osx list? If you have a problem with
the way a particular user is filing bugzilla reports I would suggest
taking it up with them privately (presumably you know their email
address as I believe you need one to sign up with bugzilla). Sending a
personally addressed email to a mailing list is not only confusing for
anyone who doesn't know the background but also, in my opinion at least,
inconsiderate towards both the user in question and everyone else on the
list.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
http://www.roguetory.org.uk
Re: About your bugzilla reports [ In reply to ]
On Sep 20, 2005, at 2:23 PM, Paul Waring wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 08:55:13PM +0200, Grobian wrote:
>> In a reply to your latest flood of bug mails, I would like to ask
>> you on
>> behalf of the Gentoo/OSX team to keep this in mind, and where
>> possible:
>
> Why has this gone out to the gentoo-osx list?

IMHO its an appropriate post to the list, the points he mentioned
would be good for any user who submits bugs to read.

--Kito

Re: About your bugzilla reports [ In reply to ]
Because I also use this mailing list to inform all developers that are
watching this list that I wrote to the respective user. This is
theoretically speaking easier than including them all in the CC of the
mail. Besides that, this is not secret or something IMHO.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X