Mailing List Archive

Re: openafs on macos, wrt bug #100625
Stefaan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I hope you excuse my private e-mail, but I thought it unfriendly to
> bother all the platforms in CC with this.

don't worry, I'll CC the gentoo-osx list. Maybe someone else has some
better ideas/input.

> I've just found a machine with powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0 (I hope that
> falls under gentoo-ppc-macos?).

Yes, officially Darwin 7 (Panther) and 8 (Tiger) are supported.

> I have an account on it, but I don't
> think its owner will appreciate even the question whether I can
> install gentoo in a chroot on it.

I don't think so. Though I'm not really sure. Please beware that
Gentoo/OSX is very different to the other "Gentoos" in the sense that it
is more "Portage on top of OSX". This means we rely on OSX's tools
where possible. A side effect from this, is that Portage does not have
full control over all of the software that it 'knows' about. It is
currently a complex issue, and I won't bother you with ongoing
discussions and problems.

> I was able to get openafs to compile. I however do realize that
> init-scripts etc. will probably be totally different, as module
> an working ebuild, it does seem that adapting the current one to
> support this platform is quite doable.

I didn't even try to hack the ebuild to start compilation. I suspect
that there might be something possible to compile, but to use it with
Gentoo, it would require big modifications to the ebuilds. If it would
be able to run anyway. I don't know if there is OpenAFS in OSX by default.

In the light of all these problems, I propose to keep openafs
unkeyworded for ppc-macos for now. As soon as someone reports a bug
that it doesn't work or that it does but with a patch etc. via Bugzilla,
I'd like to invest some time into it. I suspect that noone really needs
it on the current ppc-macos portage, and that 'porting' this ebuild will
be considerably easier in a next generation of Gentoo/OSX. Hence, I'd
like to save us lots of work for now ;)

Please someone from the list, respond in either way on my proposal here
to have some more weight into this discussion.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X
Re: Re: openafs on macos, wrt bug #100625 [ In reply to ]

On Sep 5, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Grobian wrote:

> Stefaan wrote:
>

>> I was able to get openafs to compile. I however do realize that
>> init-scripts etc. will probably be totally different, as module
>> an working ebuild, it does seem that adapting the current one to
>> support this platform is quite doable.

Does it install to the filesystem successfully? If so, can you start
the daemon manually? There isn't any specific project policy on
keywording ebuilds with init scripts, but I can say that there are
ebuilds in the tree that are keyworded ~ppc-macos (again, not stable)
even though they have init scripts which obviously do not work yet.
This wasn't my decision, but I can agree partly with the rationale -
init script functionality is a problem with baselayout and hopefully
can be solved once and for all in baselayout. Additionally, packages
with init scripts may be completely functional otherwise, so I can
see a decision not to support init scripts on Gentoo for OS X
currently as a decision to remove consideration of said init scripts
from our evaluation of packages.

> In the light of all these problems, I propose to keep openafs
> unkeyworded for ppc-macos for now. As soon as someone reports a
> bug that it doesn't work or that it does but with a patch etc. via
> Bugzilla, I'd like to invest some time into it. I suspect that
> noone really needs it on the current ppc-macos portage,

This is an open source project without a lead. If you don't feel like
looking into this package, then don't. Nobody is telling you what to
do or not to do. Personally, I don't use openAFS, so I wouldn't know
what to do with it anyways.

> Please someone from the list, respond in either way on my proposal
> here to have some more weight into this discussion.

Basically to recap: if the package works as expected without init
script functionality, then based on our previous behavior, I would be
in favor of keywording it ~ppc-macos. I would not support moving it
to ppc-macos until we have support for init scripts. That being said,
I don't consider adding support for this package a priority until a
user asks for such support.

Just my 2 cents...

- --Lina Pezzella
Ebuild & Porting Co-Lead