Mailing List Archive

installing gentoo on a SGI Octane 2 (IP30)
Hello all,

I'm new to the SGI world. I have now a Octane 2, and I want to install
Linux on it, and gentoo seem a good option. I have found this page
talking about this:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mips-requirements.xml

and refering to:

http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/ip30/

which has moved to:

http://skylark.cs.put.poznan.pl/ip30/

but the connection to this site is refused.

Note that I well know GNU/Debian on x86 and SPARC (Ultra 10, Sun Blade).
The main problem is that I don't know anything about SGI and gentoo.
This is a good oportunity for me to learn both SGI and gentoo.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Olivier
--
Olivier Bornet | français : http://puck.ch/f
Swiss Ice Hockey Results | english : http://puck.ch/e
Re: installing gentoo on a SGI Octane 2 (IP30) [ In reply to ]
> I'm new to the SGI world. I have now a Octane 2, and I want to install
> Linux on it, and gentoo seem a good option. I have found this page
> talking about this:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mips-requirements.xml
>
> and refering to:
>
> http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/ip30/
>
> which has moved to:
>
> http://skylark.cs.put.poznan.pl/ip30/
>
> but the connection to this site is refused.
>
> Note that I well know GNU/Debian on x86 and SPARC (Ultra 10, Sun Blade).
> The main problem is that I don't know anything about SGI and gentoo.
> This is a good oportunity for me to learn both SGI and gentoo.

The Gentoo mips-sources package contains all the patches needed for
ip30. We also have install media for these machines, although the
current netboot images have a bug with ethernet I believe, and I'm not
sure they have support for the vpro graphics in octane2. I'm pretty
sure a new set of netboot installs and a new livecd should be available
pretty soon that should address all of these issues.

-Steve
Re: installing gentoo on a SGI Octane 2 (IP30) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> The Gentoo mips-sources package contains all the patches needed for
> ip30. We also have install media for these machines, although the
> current netboot images have a bug with ethernet I believe, and I'm not
> sure they have support for the vpro graphics in octane2. I'm pretty
> sure a new set of netboot installs and a new livecd should be available
> pretty soon that should address all of these issues.

I'm really interested by the netboot installs. I'm also ready to test it
and report success or failure if there is a place where I can get it.

For the livecd, at this time I don't have a working CD drive on the
octane2... But maybe soon if I can plug my old Sun CDROM, and if it will
be working...

Thanks for your answer.

Olivier
Re: installing gentoo on a SGI Octane 2 (IP30) [ In reply to ]
> I'm really interested by the netboot installs. I'm also ready to test it
> and report success or failure if there is a place where I can get it.

The netboots typically end up in the experimental folder on one of the
gentoo mirrors. You also might join #gentoo-mips on irc.freenode.net
and hang around, as you are likely to hear about any new developments
there first, although I'm sure Kumba will send a message out to the
listserv when he is done with the new netboot images.

-Steve