(450) 969-4642
E-mail: mikepoullas@yahoo.com
Web Page: http://www.geocities.com/mikepoullas/

Re: Gentoo Support for which SGI [ In reply to ]
> I currently have 3 SGI Indy's (r4400) and 1 Indigo2
> R10000 IMPACT. Can I run Gentoo without having to jump
> hoops to get it to work?

The indys should work fine, just netboot our most recent indy install
image and do a typical gentoo install from there. If they happen to
have GR3-XZ graphics, you'll have to use serial console, however. As
for the I2, that machine barely works at the moment. And I know
Redhatter is going to reply saying it works fine, but it still is very
far from stable. That, and the graphics in it are useless in linux
currently.

-Steve

Re: Gentoo Support for which SGI [ In reply to ]
Ok. Thanks for the input.

So do I guess I will start selling my systems and only
keep one Indy just for experimenting.

I guess the best way to go is on ebay?

mp
--- "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I currently have 3 SGI Indy's (r4400) and 1
> Indigo2
> > R10000 IMPACT. Can I run Gentoo without having to
> jump
> > hoops to get it to work?
>
> The indys should work fine, just netboot our most
> recent indy install
> image and do a typical gentoo install from there.
> If they happen to
> have GR3-XZ graphics, you'll have to use serial
> console, however. As
> for the I2, that machine barely works at the moment.
> And I know
> Redhatter is going to reply saying it works fine,
> but it still is very
> far from stable. That, and the graphics in it are
> useless in linux
> currently.
>
> -Steve

Mike Poullas
656 rue Pierre
Laval, Qc., H7X 3T1

Re: Gentoo Support for which SGI [ In reply to ]
Stephen P. Becker wrote:
>>I currently have 3 SGI Indy's (r4400) and 1 Indigo2
>>R10000 IMPACT. Can I run Gentoo without having to jump
>>hoops to get it to work?
>

> The indys should work fine, just netboot our most recent indy install
> image and do a typical gentoo install from there. If they happen to
> have GR3-XZ graphics, you'll have to use serial console, however. As
> for the I2, that machine barely works at the moment. And I know
> Redhatter is going to reply saying it works fine, but it still is very
> far from stable. That, and the graphics in it are useless in linux
> currently.

I'll just add to that...

With the Indigo2 Impact:

Yes, it does work fine... *IF* the machine is sitting there, idling,
it'll run for days without fail.

However, I've found lately, that a simple `emerge glibc` just brings the
system to its knees with a nice kernel panic. Linux 2.6.10 wasn't too
bad -- and I was able to accomplish quite a lot, dispite Portage dying
every merge. However, the kernel running now, 2.6.12-rc2, seems to be
quite flakey.

You're welcome to try... but I'd strongly recommend against using IP28
machines for any high-load production use. If it's sitting there doing
nothing -- it may be okay, but anything more than basic stuff and you're
likely to strike problems.

With the Indy's:

As Stephen said... yes, they'll run fine... and by that, I mean run
stable. Even X runs. (if you have 8 or 24-bit XL graphics... type
`hinv` at the PROM monitor prompt to check)

| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |