The kernel starts running and probes devices, then panics on

XFS: bad magic number
XFS: SB validate failed
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram0

Is there something obvious I might have missed?

Thanks,

Win Treese
win.treese@sicortex.com

Re: Booting Gentoo image on SGI Origin 200 [ In reply to ]
Win Treese wrote:
> I have a freshly-obtained SGI Origin 200. Following the instructions on
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-mips.xml?part=1&chap=2,
> I tried the netboot procedure. The image I'm using is
> ip27-r10k+-20040528.img from
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/netboot/ip27/
> The kernel starts running and probes devices, then panics on
>
> XFS: bad magic number
> XFS: SB validate failed
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram0
>
> Is there something obvious I might have missed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Win Treese
> win.treese@sicortex.com

I just remembered, you have to NFS root these images. There isn't an embedded
ramdisk in them.

IP27 is notoriously fickle. The last known working kernel revision was 2.6.6.
After that version, things just stopped working. With this specific kernel, you
need to setup an NFS root with the initrd file (fetch the tar.bz2 file, not the
img.gz), and pass the appropriate command line options on the IP27 PROM to have
the linux kernel netboot and NFS mount it.

The error you refer to specifically is normal. The kernel, when mounting root,
will try every available FS module it has built in to mount the root filesystem.
Not all said FS modules print out a message indicating they're trying to mount
something. When the kernel runs out of FS modules, it gives up and panics.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond