Mailing List Archive

SGI vs PC, WAS: SGI's for sale
So, for a guy who has been working soly on x86 since he learned how tor ead and write, but who now has a real job and doesn't striktly have to go by the lowest bidder any more.

Can someone break down the pros and cons of SGI vs the i386/amd64 architectures. If I were to buy a new comp it would be primarilly used for openGL programming and 3d-graphics work. I currently use a second hand license of 3dsMax on win2k for my 3d, so I would need an alternative to that as well.

Re: SGI vs PC, WAS: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Daniel Armyr wrote:
> So, for a guy who has been working soly on x86 since he learned how tor
> ead and write, but who now has a real job and doesn't striktly have to
> go by the lowest bidder any more.
>
> Can someone break down the pros and cons of SGI vs the i386/amd64
> architectures. If I were to buy a new comp it would be primarilly
> used for openGL programming and 3d-graphics work. I currently use
> a second hand license of 3dsMax on win2k for my 3d, so I would need
> an alternative to that as well.

You can't really compare the two in a fair and balanced light (much like how
Fox can't report accurated, unbiased news, but that's a different debate).

As far as "feel" of speed goes on a typical amd64 box or a high-end x86 vs. a
high-end SGI running IRIX, it is probably to assume that the amd64/x86 wins.

On the technical side, megahertz-for-megahertz, the SGI is technically
superior, just the x86 line takes the
we-suck-but-we-have-more-power-to-suck-with-so-we-appear-to-not-suck approach.

As such, if you're simply curious and wnt to poke around with older hardware,
grab an Octane, find a IRIX copy, and have at it, if you can work around the
various license things in IRIX. It's fun, and you'll learn something.

If you're looking to accomplish real work, then you're probably better off
sticking with the amd64/x86 line of things, because it is a very real
possibility that IRIX will come to an end. There are rumours SGI has switched
to a bi-annual release cycle for IRIX vs. a quarterly release now, but this
isn't confirmed just yet.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

Re: SGI vs PC, WAS: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
> As such, if you're simply curious and wnt to poke around with older >hardware.
Well, for that I have my super-minimalistic router. It is sufficently cool and problematic to satisfy me.

> If you're looking to accomplish real work, then you're probably better > off sticking with the amd64/x86 line of things.

Too bad, it would have been really cool to actually have a real SGI workstation to work on.

--DA