Mailing List Archive

arcboot problem R5000 o2
Ok, I tried.

On the R5000 O2:
1) emerged arcboot, then following the man page, I put it in the volume
header.

2) ignored the boot partition I made during the system install, and made
a file called kernel in sda3 (i.e., my root partition see fstab below)

3) I put the kernel that Steve gave me into the kernel file

4) changed the arcboot.conf to reflect my changes (see below).

5) then back to prom I did "boot -f arcboot" - result was an error
something like "can't find kernel looking in \unix"

I tried several variation on this theme but with no luck. What am I
doing wrong?
Thanks again.
-andy

# arcboot.conf
#
# copyright 2002 Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
#
label=linux
image=/kernel/vmlinux64-2004-11-06
append="root=/dev/sda3"

#fstab
#/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/sda3 / ext3 noatime 0 0
/dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro,user 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

Re: arcboot problem R5000 o2 [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Ok, I tried.
>
> On the R5000 O2:
> 1) emerged arcboot, then following the man page, I put it in the volume
> header.
>
> 2) ignored the boot partition I made during the system install, and made
> a file called kernel in sda3 (i.e., my root partition see fstab below)
>
> 3) I put the kernel that Steve gave me into the kernel file
>
> 4) changed the arcboot.conf to reflect my changes (see below).
>
> 5) then back to prom I did "boot -f arcboot" - result was an error
> something like "can't find kernel looking in \unix"
>
> I tried several variation on this theme but with no luck. What am I
> doing wrong?
> Thanks again.
> -andy

Why not just use sda2 if you already have it designated for /boot? You
just have to make sure that arcboot.conf goes into /boot/etc. Also
remember you have to set SystemPartition to the volume header from the prom.

Steve

Re: arcboot problem R5000 o2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Steve,
Ok I moved the kernel and /etc/arcboot.conf to my /boot (and as noted in
the man page, made a link from boot to boot) and changed my arcboot.conf
to reflect the changes.

Now in the prom I resetenv so that:
SystemPartition = pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)

then ran arcboot - then it says it can't find the arcboot.conf or an
ext2fs. Then it says to adjust OSLoadPartition to
pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2) Which I tried with no success
I also tried pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1) with no success.
My boot partition is on sda1, root is sda3, and swap is sda2.

any ideas what I'm doing dumb?

Re: arcboot problem R5000 o2 [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> Ok I moved the kernel and /etc/arcboot.conf to my /boot (and as noted in
> the man page, made a link from boot to boot) and changed my arcboot.conf
> to reflect the changes.
>
> Now in the prom I resetenv so that:
> SystemPartition = pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
>
> then ran arcboot - then it says it can't find the arcboot.conf or an
> ext2fs. Then it says to adjust OSLoadPartition to
> pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2) Which I tried with no success
> I also tried pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1) with no success.
> My boot partition is on sda1, root is sda3, and swap is sda2.
>
> any ideas what I'm doing dumb?

You shouldn't *have* to adjust OSLoadPartition actually. Arcboot
auto-detects that. You did mount /dev/sda1 on /boot *before* you
copied the config file and made the symlink didn't you?

In any case, I have the same configuration you do in terms of partition
layout (with the exception of sdb1 mounted on /usr), and it WorksForMe(TM).

Steve

Re: arcboot problem R5000 o2 [ In reply to ]
Your Good Steve,
I did forget to mount boot the last time. And got it to boot, part
way. I got a "kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing
init= option to the kernel"

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm not sure where to find help (google
only works so far) :-)

andy

Re: arcboot problem R5000 o2 [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Your Good Steve,
> I did forget to mount boot the last time. And got it to boot, part
> way. I got a "kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing
> init= option to the kernel"
>
> Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm not sure where to find help (google
> only works so far) :-)
>
> andy

Well, that's interesting. It seems that both the kernel looks at
OSLoadPartition from the prom when being loaded via arcboot. Arcboot
uses OSLoadPartition to determine where the kernel and arcboot.conf are
stored, and it uses the SGI naming scheme to do so (eg the
pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(X) bit). The kernel uses
OSLoadPartition to determine the root device, and apparently the
append="root=/dev/sda3" from arcboot.conf isn't getting passed, or is
being overridden. Try changing OSLoadPartition to /dev/sda3 from the
prom. Arcboot will spit an error that you should change it to something
else, but then will scan the other partitions for /etc/arcboot.conf and
should auto-detect what partition it really needs and then boot normally.

Steve