Subject: RE: Hp c3600 Gentoo Installation troubles
Date: Tuesday 04 January 2005 10:02 am
From: "Ben Fisher" <bfisher@intech-intl.com>
To: "Mike Frysinger" <vapier@gentoo.org>

Mike -

The c3600 is a great machine - perfect for the compiling work I'm doing for
my graduate degree in Computational Engineering.

Well, I found out that the 2004.3 CD is the problem by advice from Guy
Martin - I booted fine off of the 2004.2 Universal Live CD. I have an IDE
cdrom, so that must have been the problem. I've now finished off everything
on the gentoo installation except rebooting, but palo is (yet again) giving
me problems. After configuring the /etc/palo.conf file with directions to
my bootloader, freshly compiled kernel (using genkernel) and initialized HD,
I ran palo at the prompt. The result was a list of my partitions and
addresses to IPL, and a few other things. Everything looked normal, so I
rebooted. When trying to boot on to the HD, I was greeted by:

Booting......

IPL error
Bad LIF Magic

I'm really not sure what "bad LIF magic" is, and the palo docs don't have
any troubleshooting in them. Is there another command required to send palo
to the firmware? What am I missing? I've verified that the boot partition
is set to type f0.

Another thing - I tried to verify and tweak palo after this by booting from
the cd and mounting my /dev/sda7 to /mnt/gentoo and /dev/sda5 to
/mnt/gentoo/boot, and then following the chroot proceedure to get back into
the system. I was able to run palo a few more times with different
parameters, but with no better results. My boot partition "forgot" it was
formatted ext2 a few times, so I had to remake the fs and copy over the
vmlinux file in /usr/src/linux. Do I need anything else in there? Do I
need to start over instead of "hacking" into the system?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Ben

Benjamin D. Fisher