Intel pci-e NICs are so abundant, that I hope others will also experience
these symptoms which will bring the attention of the driver maintainers or
whatever responsible folks.

Regards:
Dw.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057
Re: e1000e integrated laptop NIC loses carrier [ In reply to ]
Hi, Tóth.

В Вс, 24/03/2013 в 17:10 +0100, "Tóth Attila" пишет:
> I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed, that I cannot connect to my
> laptop after a while. It happens using hardened kernel versions 3.8.2 &
> 3.8.3, however 3.8.0-r1 seems to be free of this problem.
> The interface stays up, the LED are showing normal status, but attempts to
> use the card are unsuccessful. Ethtool reports no carrier. Therefore I
> cannot renew the DHCP address. NIC selftests return without any problem.
> It's probably non-hardened-related, but I thought I would communicate my
> findings to the list, because others might struggling with it as well. I
> cannot find any relevant results on google.
> The only message I could discover in my logs is that suddenly the laptop
> switches on its wireless card automatically, which happens if there's no
> wired connection. Right after that the wireless gets switched off again
> immediately. At this time I can no longer use eth0. But still be able to
> connect using the wireless interface.
> Intel pci-e NICs are so abundant, that I hope others will also experience
> these symptoms which will bring the attention of the driver maintainers or
> whatever responsible folks.

In my laptop I have following card:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 04)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 21ce
Memory at f2600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Memory at f262b000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at 5080 [size=32]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [e0] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: e1000e

that works without any problems on 3.8.2-hardened-r1. Also, are you sure
this is hardened issue? Try vanilla sources to check if it's broken
there too...

WBR,
--
Peter.
Re: e1000e integrated laptop NIC loses carrier [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

I think it's probably non-hardened related. The only change in my config
was to omit the introduced constify plugin causing problems on my server.
Otherwise the config is the same.
I cannot even remember the last time I ever booted a non-hardened kernel
on any of my machines...

Otherwise the device is probably pretty much similar:
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 04)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1631
Memory at d4500000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Memory at d452a000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at 5020 [size=32]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [e0] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
The only difference I can imagine is some firmware code change to make it
vendor specific.

Dwokfur/Attila