Mailing List Archive

New hardened/linux/13.0 profiles
Hi everyone,

I just added the new hardened/linux/13.0 profiles to the tree for
testing. These do not show up under eselect profile and never will ---
they are not listed in profile.desc. They are on the tree for testing
only. Also, I skipped the minor arches and only added x86 and amd64.

If you are the adventurous type, then you can test them out for me. Eg.
if you are on amd64 and you currently have:

[18] hardened/linux/amd64 *
[19] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
[20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[21] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
[22] hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64

then you can tested out the equivalent 13.0 profile by proceeding as
follows:

0) Make sure you have the latest version of portage which supports EAPI=5.

1) delete your current make.profile sym link. It can be found in one of
two locations

/etc/make.profile #old deprecated location

or

/etc/portage/make.profile #new sexy location

2) Despite where your old make.profile was, the new one should be in the
portage config dir, so

cd /etc/portage

3) Create a new sym link

ln -s ../../usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/13.0/amd64 make.profile

Notice the extra .../13.0/... in there.

4) You should notice no changes! The 13.0 profiles just pave the way
for the goodness that comes with EAPI=5. However, as time goes on, 10.0
and 13.0 will diverge.

Note to maintainers: It cannot be stressed how crappy the profile
system is. I could not find a way around duplicating what we have at

hardened/linux

at

hardened/linux/13.0

So, if you make a change to any files in the base level of
hardened/linux or any subdir of hardened/linux/{amd64,x86} you must
manually mirror that change in hardened/linux/13.0.

Sorry, there is no easy way around this. We will put up with it for
about six months and then hardened/linux will inherit 13.0 and
hardened/linux/13.0 will go bye-bye. We may have to move faster if 10.0
and 13.0 start to diverge too quickly.

Enjoy!

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.