Mailing List Archive

Cleaning up the hardened profiles
Hi everyone,

The number of profiles in gentoo is growing *again* with the addition of
release 13.0 profiles. Because of the way stacking works, adding these
to hardened means a repetition of code in a way that is not good. I'll
decide how to proceed in a week or so, let everyone know and then
implement something. Right now I'm leaning towards "test" profiles for
amd64 and x86 and after some good period of testing (6 months?) just
switch all of hardened from 10.0 to 13.0.

While I'm at the business of rethinking the profiles, I've been
wondering, does anyone use the /desktop, /developer, /server sub
profiles? I've officially only listed the following

[18] hardened/linux/amd64 *
[19] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
[20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[21] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux

for amd64, and similarly for other arches. But there also exist
profiles like:

hardened/linux/amd64/desktop
hardened/linux/amd64/developer
hardened/linux/amd64/server

for ia64, ppc, ppc64 and x86. I didn't even bother to add these for
mips or arm. These are not listed in profiles.desc, so you can't
eselect them, but a user could manually create those links.

If no one is using them, I'll mark them deprecated, and dump them in a
month or two.

Comments?

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology
Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The number of profiles in gentoo is growing *again* with the addition
> of release 13.0 profiles. Because of the way stacking works, adding
> these to hardened means a repetition of code in a way that is not
> good. I'll decide how to proceed in a week or so, let everyone know
> and then implement something. Right now I'm leaning towards "test"
> profiles for amd64 and x86 and after some good period of testing (6
> months?) just switch all of hardened from 10.0 to 13.0.
>
> While I'm at the business of rethinking the profiles, I've been
> wondering, does anyone use the /desktop, /developer, /server sub
> profiles? I've officially only listed the following
>
> [18] hardened/linux/amd64 * [19] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux [20]
> hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib [21]
> hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
>
> for amd64, and similarly for other arches. But there also exist
> profiles like:
>
> hardened/linux/amd64/desktop hardened/linux/amd64/developer
> hardened/linux/amd64/server
>
> for ia64, ppc, ppc64 and x86. I didn't even bother to add these for
> mips or arm. These are not listed in profiles.desc, so you can't
> eselect them, but a user could manually create those links.
>
> If no one is using them, I'll mark them deprecated, and dump them in
> a month or two.
>
> Comments?

Hi,

I only ever use the base profiles.

Tully Gray.
Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
On вс 27 янв 2013 18:32:19 MSK, Anthony G. Basile <basile@opensource.dyc.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The number of profiles in gentoo is growing *again* with the addition of
> release 13.0 profiles.  Because of the way stacking works, adding these
> to hardened means a repetition of code in a way that is not good.  I'll
> decide how to proceed in a week or so, let everyone know and then
> implement something.  Right now I'm leaning towards "test" profiles for
> amd64 and x86 and after some good period of testing (6 months?) just
> switch all of hardened from 10.0 to 13.0.
>
> While I'm at the business of rethinking the profiles, I've been
> wondering, does anyone use the /desktop, /developer, /server sub
> profiles?  I've officially only listed the following
>
>      [18]  hardened/linux/amd64 *
>      [19]  hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
>      [20]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
>      [21]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
>
> for amd64, and similarly for other arches.  But there also exist
> profiles like:
>
>          hardened/linux/amd64/desktop
>          hardened/linux/amd64/developer
>          hardened/linux/amd64/server
>
> for ia64, ppc, ppc64 and x86.  I didn't even bother to add these for
> mips or arm.  These are not listed in profiles.desc, so you can't
> eselect them, but a user could manually create those links.
>
> If no one is using them, I'll mark them deprecated, and dump them in a
> month or two.
>
> Comments?

I've never used these subprofiles.

--
Alexander Tsoy
Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
Hi, I'm using just hardened/linux/amd64.

Regards,
Peter

Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
I was not aware of these profiles and don't need them.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Anthony G. Basile <

Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
On 01/27/13 15:32, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> [20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
> [21] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux

I'm using these profiles (in case your question referred to them).

Regards,
Matthias-Christian
Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
I use the base, with multilib and without, the others are expendable in my
opinion.

Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
I'm using [20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib.
If it will be discontinued, please let us know about the proper
replacement profile.

Regards:
Dw.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
On 01/28/2013 03:17 PM, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
> I'm using [20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib.
> If it will be discontinued, please let us know about the proper
> replacement profile.
>
> Regards:
> Dw.

To be clear, all the profiles that show up with eselect profiles will
remain as is, and will continue to get love!

You'd have to go out of your way to used these sub-profiles! You'd have
to manually create the sym link to them. If you have never done this,
then don't worry.

A bit of history, these sub-profiles were inherited from the older set
of profiles whose deprecation was started by Gordon (gengor) and ended
by me. I kept these sub-profiles around because they were there in the
old set when I migrated. But over time I began to realize their
uselessness. Time to clean shop.

Re: Cleaning up the hardened profiles [ In reply to ]
On 01/28/2013 04:28 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> On 01/28/2013 03:17 PM, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
>> I'm using [20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib.
>> If it will be discontinued, please let us know about the proper
>> replacement profile.
>>
>> Regards:
>> Dw.
>>

> To be clear, all the profiles that show up with eselect profiles will
> remain as is, and will continue to get love!
>
> You'd have to go out of your way to used these sub-profiles! You'd have
> to manually create the sym link to them. If you have never done this,
> then don't worry.
>
> A bit of history, these sub-profiles were inherited from the older set
> of profiles whose deprecation was started by Gordon (gengor) and ended
> by me. I kept these sub-profiles around because they were there in the
> old set when I migrated. But over time I began to realize their
> uselessness. Time to clean shop.

Okay, the following subprofiles have been marked deprecated in favor of
their parent profiles:

hardened/linux/amd64/desktop
hardened/linux/amd64/developer
hardened/linux/amd64/server
hardened/linux/ia64/desktop
hardened/linux/ia64/developer
hardened/linux/ia64/server
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc32/desktop
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc32/developer
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc32/server
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/32bit-userland/desktop
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/32bit-userland/developer
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/32bit-userland/server
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/64bit-userland/desktop
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/64bit-userland/developer
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/64bit-userland/server
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/desktop
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/developer
hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/server
hardened/linux/x86/desktop
hardened/linux/x86/developer
hardened/linux/x86/minimal
hardened/linux/x86/server

So, for example hardened/linux/amd64/desktop will not default to
hardened/linux/amd64.

I'll wait for screaming, and when I hear none, I will remove these from
the tree in about 1 month.

Also, I will be adding version 13.0 hardened profiles soon, but only for
amd64 and x86. These will be for testing only and will not show up in
eselect profile .... Once we're satisfied that 13.0 is okay with
hardened, I'll switch the regular profiles over. The average user
should not even notice the change. I'm leaning towards a 6 month period
for testing for 13.0.