E-Mail : blueness@gentoo.org
GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
GnuPG ID : D0455535
Re: Migration guide. [ In reply to ]
On 01/03/2013 08:45 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> Can people please comment on the PT_PAX to XATTR_PAX migration guide
> before I put it up on line
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/zzz/pax-migrate-xattr.xml

Everything looks good to me except the overlay instructions. The
suggestion to copy the overlay eclass on top of the portage one is a
little dubious. Can you sync afterwards?

You also mention adding the overlay and "make sure you set up your
repos.conf." I'm just not sure what you mean there, I've never used
repos.conf for anything. What am I supposed to do with it?

Unrelated: would it make sense at some point to set USE=xattr in the
profile if this is the way forward?

Oh and I think USE="ptpax xtpax" is redundant now, but you probably know
that.
Re: Migration guide. [ In reply to ]
On 01/03/2013 10:31 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 08:45 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>> Can people please comment on the PT_PAX to XATTR_PAX migration guide
>> before I put it up on line
>>
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/zzz/pax-migrate-xattr.xml
>>

> Everything looks good to me except the overlay instructions. The
> suggestion to copy the overlay eclass on top of the portage one is a
> little dubious. Can you sync afterwards?

I agree. I'll drop that suggestion. Its what I did for quick testing
but not appropriate for long term. It would not survive a sync.

> You also mention adding the overlay and "make sure you set up your
> repos.conf." I'm just not sure what you mean there, I've never used
> repos.conf for anything. What am I supposed to do with it?

In /etc/portage/repos.conf you should add

[DEFAULT]
class-overrides = hardened-dev

This causes the eclass from the overlay to override the default eclass
from the portage tree. man portage and you'll see. I'll add a blurb
about it in the howto.

> Unrelated: would it make sense at some point to set USE=xattr in the
> profile if this is the way forward?

Good point. I'll look into making it part of the profiles for all
hardened systems.

> Oh and I think USE="ptpax xtpax" is redundant now, but you probably know
> that.

It is and it isn't. I have IUSE="+ptpax +xtpax" in the ebuild. What I
wanted to say here was "don't turn off either because we'll need both
for the migration". I think I'll take out the USE="ptpax xtpax" and
just and an English sentence warning not to turn of either.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
Re: Migration guide. [ In reply to ]
On 01/04/2013 07:11 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:

>> You also mention adding the overlay and "make sure you set up your
>> repos.conf." I'm just not sure what you mean there, I've never used
>> repos.conf for anything. What am I supposed to do with it?
>
> In /etc/portage/repos.conf you should add
>
> [DEFAULT]
> class-overrides = hardened-dev
>
> This causes the eclass from the overlay to override the default eclass
> from the portage tree. man portage and you'll see. I'll add a blurb
> about it in the howto.

Ah, I see. Otherwise the hardened-dev ebuilds would use the hardened-dev
eclass, but ebuilds from other repos would use their own copy (or the
default copy).
Re: Migration guide. [ In reply to ]
Il 04/01/2013 16:51, Michael Orlitzky ha scritto:
> On 01/04/2013 07:11 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>>> You also mention adding the overlay and "make sure you set up your
>>> repos.conf." I'm just not sure what you mean there, I've never used
>>> repos.conf for anything. What am I supposed to do with it?
>> In /etc/portage/repos.conf you should add
>>
>> [DEFAULT]
>> class-overrides = hardened-dev
>>
>> This causes the eclass from the overlay to override the default eclass
>> from the portage tree. man portage and you'll see. I'll add a blurb
>> about it in the howto.
>>
> Ah, I see. Otherwise the hardened-dev ebuilds would use the hardened-dev
> eclass, but ebuilds from other repos would use their own copy (or the
> default copy).

I'm not sure this is still the case, somewhere in the internet is
written that now priority is given from the order of appareance in the
$PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
with the leftmost being the lowest priority and the rightmost the higher
priority.
Cannot give much more explanation, maybe portage guys can (including
history hopefully)

regards,
Francesco R.
Re: Migration guide. [ In reply to ]
On 01/04/2013 12:44 PM, vivo75@gmail.com wrote:
>>> In /etc/portage/repos.conf you should add
>>>
>>> [DEFAULT]
>>> class-overrides = hardened-dev
>>>
>>> This causes the eclass from the overlay to override the default eclass
>>> from the portage tree. man portage and you'll see. I'll add a blurb
>>> about it in the howto.
>>>
>> Ah, I see. Otherwise the hardened-dev ebuilds would use the hardened-dev
>> eclass, but ebuilds from other repos would use their own copy (or the
>> default copy).
>>

> I'm not sure this is still the case, somewhere in the internet is
> written that now priority is given from the order of appareance in the
> $PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
> with the leftmost being the lowest priority and the rightmost the higher
> priority.
> Cannot give much more explanation, maybe portage guys can (including
> history hopefully)
>
> regards,
> Francesco R.

You know, I haven't jumped into the code, but I've notice some "strange"
behavior with respect to stacking of overlays and eclasses. I
personally think overlays are not a good idea anyhow and are okay just
for testing and play.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology