Mailing List Archive

Re: Binary package error
On 07/25/2012 01:58 AM, Molnár Péter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have this problem with glibc that when I tried to re-emerge it from a
> binary package, it has failed with the following error message:
>
> * Your system still has old SSP __guard symbols. You need to
> * rebuild all the packages that provide these files first:
> * //lib64/libhistory.so.5
> * //lib64/libreadline.so.5
> * //usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8
> * //usr/lib64/libltdl.so.3
> * //usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
> * //usr/lib64/libgmp.so.3
> * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.12.2 failed (setup phase):
> * old __guard detected
>
> What I don't get, is that I have previously rebuilt every package on the
> packager box before uploading it to my binary package repo. So how can
> this still be a problem?

Ok, I have figured it out. So these are leftovers from earlier versions,
but how come these were not removed when I updated those packages?

Molnár Péter <mp428@hszk.bme.hu>
Re: Binary package error [ In reply to ]
Molnár Péter <mp428@hszk.bme.hu> writes:

> On 07/25/2012 01:58 AM, Molnár Péter wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have this problem with glibc that when I tried to re-emerge it from a
>> binary package, it has failed with the following error message:
>>
>> * Your system still has old SSP __guard symbols. You need to
>> * rebuild all the packages that provide these files first:
>> * //lib64/libhistory.so.5
>> * //lib64/libreadline.so.5
>> * //usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8
>> * //usr/lib64/libltdl.so.3
>> * //usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
>> * //usr/lib64/libgmp.so.3
>> * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.12.2 failed (setup phase):
>> * old __guard detected
>>
>> What I don't get, is that I have previously rebuilt every package on the
>> packager box before uploading it to my binary package repo. So how can
>> this still be a problem?
>
> Ok, I have figured it out. So these are leftovers from earlier
> versions, but how come these were not removed when I updated those
> packages?
>
> cheers

Because removing these libraries before the packages using them are
rebuilt would break your system to such an extent that you would not be
able to build packages. So an elog when building these packages tells
you to run revdep-rebuild and then delete the old library versions. With
portage 2.2's preserved-libs feature, the old libs are deleted
automatically once all the dependent packages are re-built to use the
new lib.
Re: Binary package error [ In reply to ]
On 07/25/2012 07:27 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
> Because removing these libraries before the packages using them are
> rebuilt would break your system to such an extent that you would not be
> able to build packages. So an elog when building these packages tells
> you to run revdep-rebuild and then delete the old library versions. With
> portage 2.2's preserved-libs feature, the old libs are deleted
> automatically once all the dependent packages are re-built to use the
> new lib.

Okay, thank you!

Molnár Péter <mp428@hszk.bme.hu>