Mailing List Archive

Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 4 September 2006
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 4 September 2006.

==============
1. Gentoo news
==============

net-misc/bcm4400 removal
------------------------

Developer Daniel Drake[1] wrote in to mention that the net-misc/bcm4400
package in portage has been deprecated and will be removed from the tree
soon. The package has been superceded by the maintained in-kernel drivers.
Users using this package should migrate to using the in-kernel drivers as
soon as possible on any affected machines.

1. dsd@gentoo.org

KDE 3.4 removal
---------------

Carsten Lohrke[2] of the Gentoo KDE team wishes to inform users that the
versions of KDE 3.4 will be removed from the tree in a couple days. The
KDE 3.5 release has been marked stable on every architecture with KDE
support for some time, and the KDE team would like to remove 3.4 to allow
them to better focus on the much-improved 3.5 versions and beyond. KDE 3.4
lacks upstream support and includes several problems, including
incompatibility with recent X.Org implementations.

2. carlo@gentoo.org

media-video/nvidia-glx and media-video/nvidia-kernel removal

As most people using the binary nVidia drivers are aware, the
media-video/nvidia-glx and media-video/nvidia-kernel packages have been
deprecated for some time in favor of x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers and
x11-drivers/nvidia-legacy-drivers. The nvidia-legacy-drivers package
supports nVidia cards from the TNT through the GeForce 5 line, and some
GeForce 6 series cards. The nvidia-drivers package supports cards from the
GeForce 3 series and up. The older drivers are scheduled for removal on
September 29. The newer drivers support newer hardware, and the current
drivers in testing support xorg-x11-7.1, while the older drivers have
gotten no new updates.

To switch to the newer drivers, do the following:

| Code Listing 1.1: |
|Switching to x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers |
| |
|(This should be done from a command prompt and outside of X) |
|# emerge --unmerge media-video/nvidia-glx media-video/nvidia-kernel |
|# rmmod nvidia |
|(To install the legacy drivers, replace nvidia-drivers) |
|# emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers |
|# modprobe nvidia |
| |

Once you start/restart X, you will be using the new drivers.

UK Linux Awards 2006 nominations open
-------------------------------------

LinuxUser and Developer Magazine[3] has opened their nominations for their
fourth annual UK Linux Awards. You can nominate, vote, and book tables at
the site[4] for this year's awards. Gentoo looks forward to hearing the
winners of this year's awards and wishes all nominees the best of luck.

3. http://www.linuxuser.co.uk
4. http://www.linuxawards.co.uk

Free Linux Disk project fundraiser
----------------------------------

The Free Linux Disk project is having a fundraiser[5] to purchase
equipment to improve their ability to produce Linux media in a timely
manner. The project ships disks from several community-based
distributions, as well as many free commercially-backed distributions.
Their goal is to raise $4500 CDN to purchase a rImage 2000i[6] disk
duplicator to meet the current demands.

5. http://www.freelinuxdisk.org/news.php?id=19
6.
http://www.rimage.com/support_products_detail_objectname_Rimage2000i.html

GWN seeking writers
basis. A strong grasp of written English is required. We would also like
to see more submissions for the "Tips and Tricks" section, so if you have
an amazing tip or trick you use on Gentoo, send it in and we will publish
it in an upcoming GWN.

If you think that you might be interested in helping out, please email the
GWN staff at gwn-feedback@gentoo.org[7].

7.

=======================
2. Gentoo International
=======================

Australia: Software Freedom Day, Canberra

On Software Freedom Day[8] in Canberra Australia (held early on 9th
September), CLUG[9] members (including Gentoo developer Daniel Black) will
be handing out Linux CDs including the Gentoo 2006.1 CD. They will be
giving software demonstrations, providing information about free software,
raising awareness about Australian software freedom legal issues[10],
providing information about local support groups, and getting you on your
penguin feet with a Linux installation.

8. http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/teams/oceania/au/canberra
9. http://clug.org.au/
10. http://www.linux.org.au/law/

======================
3. Gentoo in the press
======================

DesktopLinux.com (29 Aug 2006)
------------------------------

The results of DesktopLinux.com's 2006 Desktop Linux Market survey, taken
from over 15,000 Linux users from the web site, are in and have been
tallied. Gentoo Linux scored fourth place overall, which was surprising to
author Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, with 9.6 percent of users preferring
Gentoo to other Linux distributions on their desktops.

* http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5816278551.html

Techgage (30 Aug 2006)
----------------------

Author Rob Williams puts Gentoo's latest release, Gentoo Linux 2006.1,
through the paces and writes about the new version of the Gentoo Linux
Installer[11] as well as the LiveCD environment. Rob also goes on to
identify several improvements in the media over 2006.0's release.

11. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer

* http://www.techgage.com/article/gentoo_20061

Software in Review (1 Sep 2006)
-------------------------------

Jem Matzan's review of Gentoo Linux 2006.1 starts off with a more general
overview of Gentoo Linux before delving into his review of the new
release. After his introduction, he highlights some of the new features of
the 2006.1 release, then proceeds to perform an installation. After this,
he proceeds to write about things that he disliked about the
installation's default choices and lists several areas where he felt that
the installation from the Installer was lacking. His conclusion has a list
of improvements that he would like to see made to the installation media.

* http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/50/1/

Internetnews.com (1 Sep 2006)
-----------------------------

Sean Michael Kerner's article for Internetnews.com lists many changes in
the new release, as well as a few words from Gentoo's own Christel
Dahlskjaer[12] about the release.

12. christel@gentoo.org

* http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3629816

=========================
4. Gentoo developer moves
=========================

Moves
-----

The following developers recently left the Gentoo project:

* none this week

Adds
----

The following developers recently joined the Gentoo project:

* Hubert Mercier (anigel) forums

Changes
-------

The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo project:

* Bjarke Istrup Pedersen (GurliGebis) joined net-irc/java

==================
5. Gentoo security
==================

X.org and some X.org libraries: Local privilege escalations

X.org, libX11, xdm, xf86dga, xinit, xload, xtrans, and xterm are
vulnerable to local privilege escalations because of unchecked setuid()
calls.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[13]

13. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200608-25.xml

Wireshark: Multiple vulnerabilities
-----------------------------------

Wireshark is vulnerable to several security issues that may lead to a
Denial of Service and/or the execution of arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[14]

14. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200608-26.xml

Motor: Execution of arbitrary code
----------------------------------

Motor uses a vulnerable ktools library, which could lead to the execution
of arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[15]

15. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200608-27.xml

PHP: Arbitary code execution
----------------------------

PHP contains a function that, when used, could allow a remote attacker to
execute arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[16]

16. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200608-28.xml

===========
6. Bugzilla
===========

Summary
-------

* Statistics
* Closed bug ranking
* New bug rankings

Statistics
----------

The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[17]) to record and
track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
development team. Between 27 August 2006 and 03 September 2006, activity
on the site has resulted in:

17. http://bugs.gentoo.org

* 869 new bugs during this period
* 462 bugs closed or resolved during this period
* 26 previously closed bugs were reopened this period

Of the 11007 currently open bugs: 40 are labeled 'blocker', 124 are
labeled 'critical', and 523 are labeled 'major'.

Closed bug rankings
-------------------

The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
are:

* Gentoo Release Team[18], with 33 closed bugs[19]
* Xavier Neys[20], with 26 closed bugs[21]
* Gentoo KDE team[22], with 23 closed bugs[23]
* AMD64 Project[24], with 22 closed bugs[25]
* Gentoo Games[26], with 21 closed bugs[27]
* media-video herd[28], with 16 closed bugs[29]
* Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[30], with 12 closed bugs[31]
* Gentoo Security[32], with 11 closed bugs[33]
18. release@gentoo.org
19.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=release@gentoo.org
20. neysx@gentoo.org
21.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=neysx@gentoo.org
22. kde@gentoo.org
23.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=kde@gentoo.org
24. amd64@gentoo.org
25.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=amd64@gentoo.org
26. games@gentoo.org
27.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=games@gentoo.org
28. media-video@gentoo.org
29.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=media-video@gentoo.org
30. base-system@gentoo.org
31.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=base-system@gentoo.org
32. security@gentoo.org
33.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=security@gentoo.org

New bug rankings
----------------

The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:

* Default Assignee for New Packages[34], with 41 new bugs[35]
* Default Assignee for Orphaned Packages[36], with 13 new bugs[37]
* Gentoo KDE team[38], with 10 new bugs[39]
* Gentoo Sound Team[40], with 9 new bugs[41]
* Java team[42], with 7 new bugs[43]
* Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[44], with 7 new bugs[45]
* Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[46], with 6 new bugs[47]
* media-video herd[48], with 5 new bugs[49]
34. maintainer-wanted@gentoo.org
35.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=maintainer-wanted@gentoo.org
36. maintainer-needed@gentoo.org
37.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=maintainer-needed@gentoo.org
38. kde@gentoo.org
39.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=kde@gentoo.org
40. sound@gentoo.org
41.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=sound@gentoo.org
42. java@gentoo.org
43.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=java@gentoo.org
44. gnome@gentoo.org
45.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=gnome@gentoo.org
46. base-system@gentoo.org
47.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=base-system@gentoo.org
48. media-video@gentoo.org
49.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-08-27&chfieldto=2006-09-03&assigned_to=media-video@gentoo.org

===============
7. GWN feedback
subscribed under.

==================
9. Other languages
==================

The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:

* Chinese (Simplified)[51]
* Danish[52]
* Dutch[53]
* English[54]