Mailing List Archive

Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 17 January 2005
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 17 January 2005.

==============
1. Gentoo News
==============

Gentoo name and logo usage guidelines
-------------------------------------

As many might have noticed from last week's front page news item, the
Gentoo Foundation and Gentoo Technologies have drafted a document on
Gentoo name and logo usage[1] containing legalese instructions when people
and projects are allowed to use the Gentoo name and/or logo. To make those
as easily understandable as possible, here's a summary of the general
ideas behind those guidelines.
1. http://www.gentoo.org/news/20050111-namelogo.xml

The Gentoo trademark is described as follows:

| Code Listing 1.1: |
|Gentoo Trademark |
Description----------------------------------------------------------------
---------
| |
|Computer software, namely operating system software that automatically |
|configures and optimizes performance on the underlying hardware and is |
adapted
|for a large number of usage scenarios and applications, namely, secure |
servers,
|development workstations, professional desktops, gaming systems and |
embedded
|solutions. |
| |

Section 4[2] and Section 6[3] describe when people and projects are
allowed to use the Gentoo name in content that falls under the description
of the Gentoo trademark. These last words are very important - when you
use Gentoo in any meaning other than the description given above, then
this document does not apply to you. So you're free to talk about the
Gentoo penguin[4] or start an insurance company called "Gentoo Insurance".
2. http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/name-logo.xml#doc_chap4
3. http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/name-logo.xml#doc_chap6
4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Penguin

So, when are you allowed to use "Gentoo" in a project or content that does
relate to operating system software (including the Gentoo operating system
specifically)?

We ask project managers not to call their project "Gentoo" or have
"Gentoo" in its name. Otherwise users might get confused where to go for
official information, support or feedback. We also ask that, if you use
"Gentoo" in any other way (i.e. not within the name of a project) that
still relates to operating system software, that you clearly mention that
Gentoo is a registered trademark and that whatever you use "Gentoo" for is
not part of the Gentoo project and not directed or managed by the Gentoo
project or the Gentoo Foundation. It is common practice to add a â„¢ symbol
behind "Gentoo" and mention "Gentoo is a registered trademark of Gentoo
Technologies, Inc." at the end of your document.

Hold it! Does that mean we can't create a site that helps Gentoo users?
Surely not, that's not our intention. The more Gentoo community sites we
see, the happier we are. Section 6[5] grants explicit approval to
community sites to use the "Gentoo" name in their project name if they
acknowledge the "Gentoo" trademark and follow the conditions stated:
5. http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/name-logo.xml#doc_chap6

* Each page must clearly state that the site is not officially part of
the Gentoo project. This informs their users that they should not try to
get feedback or support from the Gentoo project about that project -
chances are very likely that the Gentoo developers don't know how to deal
with their requests.
* The website may not look like an official Gentoo website. The layout
used by the Gentoo website (both the current and the upcoming new layout)
are only to be used by official Gentoo websites. Using the same (or a
similar) layout might confuse users about the origin of the website and
where to go with feedback or comments.

So far about the Gentoo name. What about the "g" logo?

When you plan on using the Gentoo logo on a software/hardware product for
commercial purposes, we ask you not to have the Gentoo logo as the
primary, largest logo on the product. People who then use this product
will know that the product contains or is based on Gentoo, but that
support and feedback should be directed to you.

What about other products, such as merchandise? We currently deny any use
of the Gentoo logo or artwork on such products for commercial purposes.
The foundation will grant approval to parties on a case-by-case basis to
sell such material, most likely to receive some funding from the sales, or
to allow projects that help Gentoo to fund their actions (such as
conferences) with the sales of these products.

You are free to use the Gentoo logo for any non-commercial purpose as long
as the logo is used to refer to the Gentoo project. For instance, you can
use the Gentoo logo to accompany an article about Gentoo, or on Gentoo
LiveCDs you give away on conferences.

Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish translations, mailing list for German GWN
installed
---------

The new year started with excellent news for people in some non-English
environments who would like to read the GWN in their own language:
Building on the success of the French, Russian and Turkish GWN who
re-emerge in the final days of last year, two other language versions were
softly woken from their year-long sleep, and put up with fresh material to
the Gentoo website:

* Marcelo Góes and Fernando Vaz have started the Brazilian Portuguese
translation project again, the first issue (10 January 2005[6]) has been
published just last week. They've requested additional help via a Forum
thread[7], please join them if you can contribute!
* After an equally long silence, a team of Spanish translators has begun
working on their version, with the same 10 January issue[8] as their first
being fresh out of the blocks, too, signed by five initial collaborators
(Demóstenes, Andrés Pereira, Víctor Argüelles, Miles Lubin and Alexander
Moreno).
6. http://www.gentoo.org/news/br/gwn/20050110-newsletter.xml
7. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=277628
8. http://www.gentoo.org/news/es/gwn/20050110-newsletter.xml

A warm welcome to our new translator teams! If you would like to
contribute to a GWN version in your own language, please send a short note
to gwn-feedback@gentoo.org.

Note: We have received offers to translate the GWN to Esperanto, Basque,
Romanian and other languages. We'd love to let volunteers start working on
those versions, but require a sufficient number of translators to be
available in the first place. In order to provide a consistent service, at
least three to five translators are recommended for each language.

Meanwhile, a long-standing request by readers of the German GWN has been
answered. On top of being available at the official Gentoo website, the
German version will be delivered to subscribers of a mailing list set up
last week. Distribution will start from the current issue, if you would
like to subscribe, send a message to gentoo-gwn-de-subscribe@gentoo.org
and follow instructions.

==============
2. Future zone
==============

Project goals for 2005
----------------------

Continued from last week's GWN[9], this section today keeps track of more
goals set forth for some Gentoo projects again. After Release Engineering,
Kernel, and Gentoo/BSD defined their goals last week, here's what else is
on the agenda for the next months:
9. http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20050111-newsletter.xml#doc_chap2

Portage

* Stabilize portage-2.0
* Finalize a plan for (CVS-)HEAD portage features
* Roll out a useful API
* Release new versions with extensive changes

Web-app

* Improve turn-around time on responses to security bugs
* Publish a Gentoo webserver handbook (in progress)
* Release webapp-config v2, and vhost-config v1 (in progress)
* Remove webapp-apache.eclass from Portage
* Find more maintainers for our packages

Documentation project

* Pull in developers/contributors: contributors for non-x86, contributors
for Gentoo projects, maintainers for existing documentation
* Reintroduce status updates for all team members
* Improve documentation on GuideXML
* "Writing Style" documentation
* Audit the existing documentation
* More USE-case documentation (e.g. "Virtual Mailhosting Guide")
* Documentation project update

Forensics Herd

* Include more packages
* Develop a bootable CD for network and disk forensic tools

Embedded

* Include more packages
* Solve bugs related to packages

Netmon

* Catch up on bugs
* Recruit more people
* Integrate gentoo-security announcements and nessus

Managers' meetings

* Rotate schedules across timezones so that more developers may
participate
* Discuss usefulness of these meetings and implement needed changes
* Assign task to get logs put up on the web

GLEPs

* Possibly recruit another GLEP editor
* Consider allowing plain-text GLEPs

==================
3. Gentoo security
==================

Dillo: Format string vulnerability
----------------------------------

Dillo is vulnerable to a format string bug, which may result in the
execution of arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[10]
10. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-11.xml

TikiWiki: Arbitrary command execution
-------------------------------------

A bug in TikiWiki allows certain users to upload and execute malicious PHP
scripts.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[11]
11. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-12.xml

pdftohtml: Vulnerabilities in included Xpdf

pdftohtml includes vulnerable Xpdf code to handle PDF files, making it
vulnerable to execution of arbitrary code upon converting a malicious PDF
file.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[12]
12. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-13.xml

mpg123: Buffer overflow
-----------------------

An attacker may be able to execute arbitrary code by way of specially
crafted MP2 or MP3 files.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[13]
13. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-14.xml

UnRTF: Buffer overflow
----------------------

A buffer overflow in UnRTF allows an attacker to execute arbitrary code by
way of a specially crafted RTF file.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[14]
14. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-15.xml

Konqueror: Java sandbox vulnerabilities
---------------------------------------

The Java sandbox environment in Konqueror can be bypassed to access
arbitrary packages, allowing untrusted Java applets to perform
unrestricted actions on the host system.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[15]
15. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-16.xml

KPdf, KOffice: More vulnerabilities in included Xpdf

KPdf and KOffice both include vulnerable Xpdf code to handle PDF files,
making them vulnerable to the execution of arbitrary code if a user is
enticed to view a malicious PDF file.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[16]
16. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-17.xml

KDE FTP KIOslave: Command injection
-----------------------------------

The FTP KIOslave contains a bug allowing users to execute arbitrary FTP
commands.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[17]
17. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-18.xml

imlib2: Buffer overflows in image decoding

Multiple overflows have been found in the imlib2 library image decoding
routines, potentially allowing the execution of arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[18]
18. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-19.xml

o3read: Buffer overflow during file conversion

A buffer overflow in o3read allows an attacker to execute arbitrary code
by way of a specially crafted XML file.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[19]
19. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-20.xml

HylaFAX: hfaxd unauthorized login vulnerability

HylaFAX is subject to a vulnerability in its username matching code,
potentially allowing remote users to bypass access control lists.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[20]
20. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-21.xml

poppassd_pam: Unauthorized password changing

poppassd_pam allows anyone to change any user's password without
authenticating the user first.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[21]
21. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-22.xml

Exim: Two buffer overflows
--------------------------

Buffer overflow vulnerabilities, which could lead to arbitrary code
execution, have been found in the handling of IPv6 addresses as well as in
the SPA authentication mechanism in Exim.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[22]
22. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-23.xml

tnftp: Arbitrary file overwriting
---------------------------------

tnftp fails to validate filenames when downloading files, making it
vulnerable to arbitrary file overwriting.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[23]
23. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-24.xml

=========================
4. Heard in the community
=========================

Web forums
----------

Flurry of fits over GCC update

GCC 3.3.5 was marked stable for keyword="x86" last week, but caused major
uproar because of highly unpleasant side-effects. The symptoms include
errors when compiling some libraries like Gtk+-2, which in turn lead to a
few dozen duplicate bug reports in Bugzilla, and an equally frenetic
activity in the Forums. The fix is simple enough, but people are still
puzzled how something like this could have happened in the first place:

* Problems after upgrade gcc to 3.3.5 (solution)[24]
24. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=278673

gentoo-user
-----------

Linux and TV tuner cards

Linux supports various TV Tuner cards, but no one ever said it was
trivial! This massive thread leads up our coverage of the gentoo-user list
this week, and it involves a Gentoo user using a WinTV card. Read this
thread for an important lesson learned on using and configuring with make
menuconfig!

* BT848 driver.[25]
25. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/114954

Soliciting initial advice

Just about everyone has a few stories regarding their first installation
of Gentoo. While Gentoo's install has undoubtedly improved by leaps and
bounds over the past few years, Linux users migrating from other
mainstream distributions like SuSE and Fedora are often intimidated with
the "daunting" task of installing the operating system from source. One
potential Gentoo recruit solicited advice fom the list this week, with a
handful of great tips in the tow.

* before beginning[26]
26. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/114817

gentoo-dev
----------

Encrypted root file system

Paranoid? Trying to hide something? This thread gives you lots of good
hints on encrypting even your root filesystem to keep your data away from
bad people

* Encrypted root file system[27]
27. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/24099

Ideas for desktop TLP goals?

Donnie Berkholz[28] asks "Where would you like to see the Gentoo desktop
go? What's been done poorly, what's been done well?"
28. spyderous@gentoo.org

* Ideas for desktop TLP goals?[29]
29. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/23973

2005.0 cleanups

Mike Frysinger[30] In preparation for the 2005.0 release, Mike Frysinger
warns that some of the older profiles (2004.0 mostly) will be removed with
the appearance of 2005.0. Please update your profiles!
30. vapier@gentoo.org

* 2005.0 spring cleanup[31]
31. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/24097

=======================
5. Gentoo International
=======================

USA: Gentoo booth at the Linux World Expo in Boston, MA (14 to 17 February)

Preparations for Gentoo's presence from 14 to 17 February 2005 at the
Linux World Expo, Boston edition[32], are well under way. Architectures on
display will include x86 and others, with a possibility of including a few
MacMinis. There's a Forum thread[33] for people looking for directions to
the booth (and possibly to announce their intentions to visit the show),
and if you need help with accommodation or other tips, Bostonian Andrew
Fant[34] has volunteered to serve as a local coordinator and pivot for
informations.
32. http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12BOS05A
33. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=278336
34. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/24064

UK: Gentoo UK conference online registration open

Online registration for the second Gentoo UK conference on 12 March 2005
is now possible via Stuart Herbert's web space[35] at dev.gentoo.org.
According to Stuart, there are even a few slots for presentations still
available to interested developers.
35. http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/2005/

======================
6. Gentoo in the press
======================

Linux Format (Issue #62, January 2005)
--------------------------------------

The UK based magazine's print version has an article on "the ultimate
distros". Ranking Gentoo 6th among 15 distributions under scrutiny, their
peculiar judgement of Gentoo including a not entirely satisfactory
assessment of its usefulness has already triggered some repercussions in
the Gentoo Forums[36].
36. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=280195

===========
7. Bugzilla
===========

Summary
-------

* Statistics
* Closed bug ranking
* New bug rankings

Statistics
----------

The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[37]) to record and
track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
development team. Between 09 January 2005 and 16 January 2005, activity on
the site has resulted in:
37. http://bugs.gentoo.org

* 968 new bugs during this period
* 500 bugs closed or resolved during this period
* 31 previously closed bugs were reopened this period

Of the 7959 currently open bugs: 116 are labeled 'blocker', 229 are
labeled 'critical', and 567 are labeled 'major'.

Closed bug rankings
-------------------

The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
are:

* AMD64 Porting Team[38], with 40 closed bugs[39]
* Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[40], with 32 closed bugs[41]
* Gentoo Security[42], with 31 closed bugs[43]
* Gentoo KDE team[44], with 19 closed bugs[45]
* Jeremy Huddleston[46], with 18 closed bugs[47]
* Java team[48], with 16 closed bugs[49]
* Net-Mail Packages[50], with 13 closed bugs[51]
* media-video herd[52], with 12 closed bugs[53]
38. amd64@gentoo.org
39.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=amd64@gentoo.org
40. base-system@gentoo.org
41.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=base-system@gentoo.org
42. security@gentoo.org
43.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=security@gentoo.org
44. kde@gentoo.org
45.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=kde@gentoo.org
46. eradicator@gentoo.org
47.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=eradicator@gentoo.org
48. java@gentoo.org
49.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=java@gentoo.org
50. net-mail@gentoo.org
51.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=net-mail@gentoo.org
52. media-video@gentoo.org
53.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=media-video@gentoo.org

New bug rankings
----------------

The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:

* AMD64 Porting Team[54], with 22 new bugs[55]
* Gentoo Sound Team[56], with 18 new bugs[57]
* Gentoo X-windows packagers[58], with 15 new bugs[59]
* Net-Mail Packages[60], with 15 new bugs[61]
* Gentoo Kernel Bug Wranglers and Kernel Maintainers[62], with 15 new
bugs[63]
* Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[64], with 14 new bugs[65]
* OpenOffice Team[66], with 12 new bugs[67]
* Gentoo KDE team[68], with 12 new bugs[69]
54. amd64@gentoo.org
55.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=amd64@gentoo.org
56. sound@gentoo.org
57.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=sound@gentoo.org
58. x11@gentoo.org
59.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=x11@gentoo.org
60. net-mail@gentoo.org
61.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=net-mail@gentoo.org
62. kernel@gentoo.org
63.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=kernel@gentoo.org
64. gnome@gentoo.org
65.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=gnome@gentoo.org
66. openoffice@gentoo.org
67.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=openoffice@gentoo.org
68. kde@gentoo.org
69.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-09&chfieldto=2005-01-16&assigned_to=kde@gentoo.org

==================
8. Tips and tricks
==================

Gentoo bugzilla search plugin for Firefox

Are you using the little search input field on the upper right of your
Firefox browser window? Most people do, and most of most people use it
only to google for search terms. A little lesser known is the possibility
to add plugins for limited searches at specific websites - or the Gentoo
bug report system, for that matter. This extremely useful little add-on
was concocted by developer Mike Frysinger[70], and hunts for your search
terms in the overview of bug reports at Gentoo's central Bugzilla.
70. vapier@gentoo.org

| Code Listing 8.1: |
|Download two files from the Mozilla searchplugin |
repository-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------
| |
|# wget http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/Gentoo-Bugs.{src,png} |
| |

Next, copy those files to the path where Firefox looks for plugins to use.
Be root if you do this, or prepend the following command with sudo:

| Code Listing 8.2: |
|Install searchplugin in the appropriate |
directory------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
| |
|# cp Gentoo-Bugs.src Gentoo-Bugs.png |
/usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/searchplugins/(or sudo if not done as root)
| |

That's it. Kill any open Firefox windows, restart Firefox, there you go:
Gentoo bug hunting at your fingertips.

===========================
9. Moves, adds, and changes
===========================

Moves
-----

The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:

* None this week

Adds
----

The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:

* Kai Zimmermann (kzimmerm) - media-video

Changes
-------

The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
project:

* None this week

=====================
10. Contribute to GWN
=====================

Interested in contributing to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Send us an
email[71].
71. gwn-feedback@gentoo.org

subscribed under.

===================
13. Other languages
===================

The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:

* Danish[73]
* Dutch[74]
* English[75]
* German[76]