to manually review the ebuilds for any packages and add their dependencies to
the package list.

Granted this is trivial to fix by removing the -O option from clst_myemergeopts
in this file, but wouldn't this be better off as a option somewhere? Or am I
missing something here? Having catalyst build the dependencies worked quite
well for me.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Catalyst building dependencies [ In reply to ]
Hi,
I am on the same way and found some problems regarding embedded target .
My aim : provide a system to be embedded in a compact flash with X11
installed.

I tried to look at embedded target creation and I am now thinking that
embedded target does not work as we expect for an embedded system and is not
well supported .

I finally decided to look at livecd stages : Seems better for this kind of
operation :
You first create a portage snapshot
Then, You create a livecd stage1 with all your needed packages
Third, you create a livecd stage2 with your kernel preferences / system
customisation + the previous stage1

I found interesting information here :
http://gentoo-wiki.comHOWTO_Small_Footprint_Gentoo_on_USB

We can share together knowledge on this project if you agree .

At the moment I have got snapshot.spec running
livecd1 stage creation (I am on the way to add my needed packages : X11 and
some other stuffes)

If you need my spec files please advice.

Best Regards
Steph

Re: Catalyst building dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 05:57:33AM -0500, Ed Plese wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been experimenting with using catalyst to build an embedded system,
> and noticed that it is hardcoded in embedded-chroot.sh for catalyst to not
> build the dependencies for any packages. With this being the case you'd have
> to manually review the ebuilds for any packages and add their dependencies to
> the package list.
>
> Granted this is trivial to fix by removing the -O option from clst_myemergeopts
> in this file, but wouldn't this be better off as a option somewhere? Or am I
> missing something here? Having catalyst build the dependencies worked quite
> well for me.

It was done that way by design. Currently there is no dependancy tree
for embedded images. For example, if you build a system with busybox,
emerge will still attempt to install sed, awk, getty, and other
applications already provided by busybox.
The -O flag is there so that people can customize the image exactly
the way they want it to work.

Re: Catalyst building dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:18:04PM +0200, S.Ancelot wrote:
> Hi,
> I am on the same way and found some problems regarding embedded target .
> My aim : provide a system to be embedded in a compact flash with X11
> installed.
>

> I tried to look at embedded target creation and I am now thinking that
> embedded target does not work as we expect for an embedded system and is not
> well supported .

and how do you expect it to work ?

Re: Catalyst building dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 15:02, David Bryson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 05:57:33AM -0500, Ed Plese wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been experimenting with using catalyst to build an embedded system,
> > and noticed that it is hardcoded in embedded-chroot.sh for catalyst to not
> > build the dependencies for any packages. With this being the case you'd have
> > to manually review the ebuilds for any packages and add their dependencies to
> > the package list.
> >
> > Granted this is trivial to fix by removing the -O option from clst_myemergeopts
> > in this file, but wouldn't this be better off as a option somewhere? Or am I
> > missing something here? Having catalyst build the dependencies worked quite
> > well for me.
> >

> It was done that way by design. Currently there is no dependancy tree
> for embedded images. For example, if you build a system with busybox,
> emerge will still attempt to install sed, awk, getty, and other
> applications already provided by busybox.

Those sed/gawk/getty should only be built in the development
environment. With ROOT=/foo emerge -K busybox should only install the
busybox pkg to the target ROOT

DEPEND="virtual/libc
!amd64? ( uclibc? ( dev-libs/uclibc ) )
>=sys-apps/sed-4"
RDEPEND="!static? ( virtual/libc )"
--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer
Re: Catalyst building dependencies [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:18:04PM +0200, S.Ancelot wrote:
> >
> > I tried to look at embedded target creation and I am now thinking that
> > embedded target does not work as we expect for an embedded system and is
> > not well supported .
>
> and how do you expect it to work ?

The main problem at this time is that it creates a system inside ROOT
directory , not a chrooted environment like "livecd-stage" does.

example : unable to build fontconfig in embedded target
I want to install fontconfig package , but when building fontconfig ,
configure looks for "freetype-config" inside "host" compiling system !!!

So, my opinion is that it should work like livecd stage1 and 2 :
stage1 creates your system packages from a chrooted environment (and
fontconfig is installing )
stage2 add customised boot / kernel support for embedding the system in the
desired target