I can't use Athlon's packages on Via C3, because I got 'Illegal
instruction' error

Thanks.
Re: compilation for other target [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 10:16, Vitaly Ivanov wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> How can I compile tbz2 packages for Via C3 or Pentium III on Athlon XP?

Your going to have to be quite a bit more detailed here if you want an
intelligent response.

Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer
Re: compilation for other target [ In reply to ]
Ned Ludd wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 10:16, Vitaly Ivanov wrote:
>

>>Hello All!
>>
>>How can I compile tbz2 packages for Via C3 or Pentium III on Athlon XP?
>>

>Your going to have to be quite a bit more detailed here if you want an
>intelligent response.
>
>Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>

>>CFLAGS="-O3 -march=c3 -mmmx -m3dnow -funroll-loops -pipe"
>>CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
>>
>>I can't use Athlon's packages on Via C3, because I got 'Illegal
>>instruction' error
>>
>>Thanks.

Ok. I'm really quite because I have problems with English language.

But my first question, fully describe my problem:
How to create architecture-optimized .tbz2 packages by
'emerge --buildpkgonly category/package-name'
on fast computer for the lot of slow computes with different CPU.

I try to describe my thinks, questions and probles. Please sorry my
English.

Our company has about ~200 computers, ~10 with Windows only, all other
~190 with Gentoo Linux,
include notebooks. Imagine the day of update... All computer do 'emerge
sync && emerge -upvD world`
This is similar to hell!

I setup local portage mirror
All computers has SYNC="rsync://gentoo.company.ru/gentoo-portage"
option in theirs make.conf

The next. All computers export theirs 'world' files to main gentoo server.
This server merge these files, sort and uniq then download packages
and export via http.

All computers has GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.company.ru/gentoo-packages/"
option in theirs make.conf
The hell become purgatory, not paradise yet. Because all computers do
equal things,
they compile same packages.

I want to build architecturie-optimized .tbz2-packages for all
architecturies
(PentiumII, PentiumIII, PentiumIV, Via C3) on my coool gentoo server.
(My main question how to do it?)
And all computers will add
PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://gentoo.company.ru/rsync/releases/x86/2004.2/<architecture>/"
option to theirs make.conf
and hell will become paradise :-)

Any ideas?
Thanks to all!
Re: compilation for other target [ In reply to ]
umm ok I read your email. Now tell us where an embedded solution fits
in?

We don't provide support or hand holding. Mailing lists like gentoo-user
are for that.
We mostly develop for our own needs and share our work as WYSIWYG
And right now what you see is on the mirrors
http://gentoo.prz.rzeszow.pl/experimental/x86/embedded/stages/

Sorry if this seems short or rude in in way shape or form but our team
lacks the resources otherwise. If you would like for us to support your
via-c3 (stage building or custom firmware) assuming it fit's within the
scope of something one of our developers wants to support then you or
your company can donate one to the project or a developer.

-good luck.

Re: compilation for other target [ In reply to ]
I ask them. They don't know how to help me and forward me to Embedded
mailing list.
May be besause you compile packages on one host for another targets.

Sorry for disturb.
And thanks for your time.

Re: compilation for other target [ In reply to ]
Le Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:56:12 +0400
Vitaly Ivanov <im@rle.ru> écrivait :

> >> Our company has about ~200 computers, ~10 with Windows only, all
> >> other ~190 with Gentoo Linux,
> >> include notebooks. Imagine the day of update... All computer do
> >> 'emerge sync && emerge -upvD world`
> >> This is similar to hell!

What about having only one computer who emerge sync and distribute
/usr/portage via nfs to the others.

I do that here and it works fine with machines as different as a laptop,
2 PCs, a PPC and a sparc.

my 2 roubles

CPHIL

--
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws
of nature!