it does mean we'll have to re-seed ebuilds with KEYWORDS=aarch64, but that's
just how it goes.
-mike
Re: creating a new aarch64 keyword [ In reply to ]
Mike,

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 12:03:52PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> originally i was going to reuse ARCH=arm for aarch64 (and that's what the code
> in the tree is doing now). however, after playing with things and debating it
> in my head, i think we should create a new ARCH=aarch64.
>
> reasons:
> - aarch64 is not a simple extension over arm at the ISA level like x86_64 is
> over i686. it's a new ISA.
> - hand written assembly language cannot be shared at all -- with x86_64, you
> could sometimes write code that the assembler would automatically turn into
> the right output (64bit/x32/32bit).
> - the aarch64 gcc port itself does not support arm -- you need a complete
> second toolchain
> - the way the hardware is being designed, it is possible to have a CPU that
> only supports aarch64 (no arm at all)

Agreed. What platform (if any) are you developing/testing on?

thx,

Jason.
Re: creating a new aarch64 keyword [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 09 January 2014 12:03:52 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> originally i was going to reuse ARCH=arm for aarch64 (and that's what the
> code in the tree is doing now). however, after playing with things and
> debating it in my head, i think we should create a new ARCH=aarch64.
>
> reasons:
> - aarch64 is not a simple extension over arm at the ISA level like x86_64
> is over i686. it's a new ISA.
> - hand written assembly language cannot be shared at all -- with x86_64,
> you could sometimes write code that the assembler would automatically turn
> into the right output (64bit/x32/32bit).
> - the aarch64 gcc port itself does not support arm -- you need a complete
> second toolchain
> - the way the hardware is being designed, it is possible to have a CPU
> that only supports aarch64 (no arm at all)
>
> it does mean we'll have to re-seed ebuilds with KEYWORDS=aarch64, but
> that's just how it goes.

i ended up renaming to KEYWORDS=arm64:
- it's the name Debian has picked
- it's the name the kernel uses
- the CrOS guys have a preference for that over aarch64
- when you sort KEYWORDS, these will end up next to each other

since it really doesn't matter to us (it's bikeshedding either way), i just
went with it
-mike
Re: creating a new aarch64 keyword [ In reply to ]
On Friday 10 January 2014 17:02:17 Jason Cooper wrote:
> Agreed. What platform (if any) are you developing/testing on?

personally i am just cross-compiling / using the reference sim right now
-mike