Mailing List Archive

Embedded profile?
crossdev sets up an embedded profile by default:
ls -l make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 14 14:22 make.profile ->
/usr/portage/profiles/embedded/

This profile seems a bit outdated and also appears to create this error
msg:
emerge-x86_64-tm-linux-gnu -a openrc

* IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r3 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
USE="cxx minimal -ada -debug -doc -gpm -profile -static-libs -tinfo -trace
-unicode"
[ebuild N ] sys-process/psmisc-22.20 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
USE="-X -ipv6 -nls (-selinux)"
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/openrc-0.12.2 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
USE="netifrc -debug -ncurses -newnet -pam (-prefix) (-selinux)
-static-libs -tools -unicode"
[ebuild N ] net-misc/netifrc-0.1 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
* ARCH is not set... Are you missing the '/usr/x86_64-tm-linux-
* gnu/etc/portage/make.profile' symlink? Is the symlink correct? Is your
* portage tree complete?

I wonder, is the embedded profile maintained or is it just an leftover
that should be removed?
If not, could someone update it so it at least does not error out?

Jocke
Re: Embedded profile? [ In reply to ]
On 10/14/2013 07:26, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> crossdev sets up an embedded profile by default:
> ls -l make.profile
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 14 14:22 make.profile ->
> /usr/portage/profiles/embedded/
>
> This profile seems a bit outdated and also appears to create this error
> msg:
> emerge-x86_64-tm-linux-gnu -a openrc
>
> * IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
> * Use eselect news to read news items.

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild N ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r3 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> USE="cxx minimal -ada -debug -doc -gpm -profile -static-libs -tinfo -trace
> -unicode"
> [ebuild N ] sys-process/psmisc-22.20 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> USE="-X -ipv6 -nls (-selinux)"
> [ebuild N ] sys-apps/openrc-0.12.2 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> USE="netifrc -debug -ncurses -newnet -pam (-prefix) (-selinux)
> -static-libs -tools -unicode"
> [ebuild N ] net-misc/netifrc-0.1 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
>
> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
> * ARCH is not set... Are you missing the '/usr/x86_64-tm-linux-
> * gnu/etc/portage/make.profile' symlink? Is the symlink correct? Is your
> * portage tree complete?
>
> I wonder, is the embedded profile maintained or is it just an leftover
> that should be removed?
> If not, could someone update it so it at least does not error out?
>
> Jocke

The problem here is that with EAPI 5, profile-only variables were
introduced, one of which is ARCH. The embedded profile does not contain
an ARCH definition (because it isn't specific to any architecture), and
crossdev gets around this by putting it in the make.conf it generates in
/usr/{chost}/etc/make.conf. The bug, therefore, is in crossdev; it
should put the ARCH definition in
/usr/{chost}/etc/portage/profile/make.defaults instead. I think there
are some other variables that will need to be set in there as well
(USERLAND, LIBC, KERNEL, etc.).

--
♫Dustin
http://dustin.hatch.name/
Re: Embedded profile? [ In reply to ]
"Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@gmail.com> wrote on 2013/10/15 03:01:33:

> On 10/14/2013 07:26, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > crossdev sets up an embedded profile by default:
> > ls -l make.profile
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 14 14:22 make.profile ->
> > /usr/portage/profiles/embedded/
> >
> > This profile seems a bit outdated and also appears to create this
error
> > msg:
> > emerge-x86_64-tm-linux-gnu -a openrc
> >
> > * IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
> > * Use eselect news to read news items.
> >

> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > [ebuild N ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r3 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> > USE="cxx minimal -ada -debug -doc -gpm -profile -static-libs -tinfo
-trace
> > -unicode"
> > [ebuild N ] sys-process/psmisc-22.20 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> > USE="-X -ipv6 -nls (-selinux)"
> > [ebuild N ] sys-apps/openrc-0.12.2 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> > USE="netifrc -debug -ncurses -newnet -pam (-prefix) (-selinux)
> > -static-libs -tools -unicode"
> > [ebuild N ] net-misc/netifrc-0.1 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> >
> > Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
> > * ARCH is not set... Are you missing the '/usr/x86_64-tm-linux-
> > * gnu/etc/portage/make.profile' symlink? Is the symlink correct? Is
your
> > * portage tree complete?
> >
> > I wonder, is the embedded profile maintained or is it just an leftover
> > that should be removed?
> > If not, could someone update it so it at least does not error out?
> >
> > Jocke
> >
> The problem here is that with EAPI 5, profile-only variables were
> introduced, one of which is ARCH. The embedded profile does not contain
> an ARCH definition (because it isn't specific to any architecture), and
> crossdev gets around this by putting it in the make.conf it generates in

> /usr/{chost}/etc/make.conf. The bug, therefore, is in crossdev; it
> should put the ARCH definition in
> /usr/{chost}/etc/portage/profile/make.defaults instead. I think there
> are some other variables that will need to be set in there as well
> (USERLAND, LIBC, KERNEL, etc.).

Did some browsing of profiles and it seems to me that this most a profile
problem. The
embedded profile is incomplete and crossdev tries to work around this.
The base, arch etc. subprofiles appears to contain to much to be directly
usable by the
embedded profile.
I don't know how profile area is supposed to work but a
default/linux/amd64/13.0/embedded
profile seem to be the best fit ATM

Jocke
Re: Embedded profile? [ In reply to ]
14.10.2013 16:26, Joakim Tjernlund пишет:
> crossdev sets up an embedded profile by default:
> ls -l make.profile
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 14 14:22 make.profile ->
> /usr/portage/profiles/embedded/

This is default generic embedded profile. You should not use it and
switch to more specific one(as mentioned in previous message - you are
already did it).

--
Best regards, Sergey Popov
Gentoo developer
Re: Embedded profile? [ In reply to ]
Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se> wrote on 2013/10/15
16:27:43:

> "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@gmail.com> wrote on 2013/10/15 03:01:33:
> >
> > On 10/14/2013 07:26, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > > crossdev sets up an embedded profile by default:
> > > ls -l make.profile
> > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 14 14:22 make.profile ->
> > > /usr/portage/profiles/embedded/
> > >
> > > This profile seems a bit outdated and also appears to create this
> error
> > > msg:
> > > emerge-x86_64-tm-linux-gnu -a openrc
> > >
> > > * IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
> > > * Use eselect news to read news items.
> > >

> > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> > >
> > > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > > [ebuild N ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r3 to
/usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> > > USE="cxx minimal -ada -debug -doc -gpm -profile -static-libs -tinfo
> -trace
> > > -unicode"
> > > [ebuild N ] sys-process/psmisc-22.20 to
/usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> > > USE="-X -ipv6 -nls (-selinux)"
> > > [ebuild N ] sys-apps/openrc-0.12.2 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> > > USE="netifrc -debug -ncurses -newnet -pam (-prefix) (-selinux)
> > > -static-libs -tools -unicode"
> > > [ebuild N ] net-misc/netifrc-0.1 to /usr/x86_64-tm-linux-gnu/
> > >
> > > Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
> > > * ARCH is not set... Are you missing the '/usr/x86_64-tm-linux-
> > > * gnu/etc/portage/make.profile' symlink? Is the symlink correct?
Is
> your
> > > * portage tree complete?
> > >
> > > I wonder, is the embedded profile maintained or is it just an
leftover
> > > that should be removed?
> > > If not, could someone update it so it at least does not error out?
> > >
> > > Jocke
> > >
> > The problem here is that with EAPI 5, profile-only variables were
> > introduced, one of which is ARCH. The embedded profile does not
contain
> > an ARCH definition (because it isn't specific to any architecture),
and
> > crossdev gets around this by putting it in the make.conf it generates
in

> > /usr/{chost}/etc/make.conf. The bug, therefore, is in crossdev; it
> > should put the ARCH definition in
> > /usr/{chost}/etc/portage/profile/make.defaults instead. I think there
> > are some other variables that will need to be set in there as well
> > (USERLAND, LIBC, KERNEL, etc.).
>
> Did some browsing of profiles and it seems to me that this most a
profile
> problem. The
> embedded profile is incomplete and crossdev tries to work around this.
> The base, arch etc. subprofiles appears to contain to much to be
directly
> usable by the
> embedded profile.
> I don't know how profile area is supposed to work but a
> default/linux/amd64/13.0/embedded
> profile seem to be the best fit ATM

Although I think the current embedded profile needs some love, I
noticed that /usr/portage/profiles/embedded/make.defaults has:

# Variables that are set exclusively by the profile
# and not by user configuration files.
PROFILE_ONLY_VARIABLES="ARCH ELIBC IUSE_IMPLICIT KERNEL USERLAND
USE_EXPAND_IMPLICIT USE_EXPAND_UNPREFIXED USE_EXPAND_VALUES_ARCH
USE_EXPAND_VALUES_ELIBC USE_EXPAND_VALUES_KERNEL
USE_EXPAND_VALUES_USERLAND"

Removing ARCH from this list fixes the "ARCH is not set.." problem. This
is
a quick fix we could do for now. I don't know if this has any negative
implications though.

Jocke