Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: gcc-4.6 / bionic [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> So, I was also wondering if anyone had any Aarch64 gentoo-embedded
> examples to put out for review or into the gentoo handbook?

That's actually a really good question - i.e. what is the state of Aarch64
in Gentoo?

Does the Gentoo project have dedicated hardware to use? Checking out
://packages, there is an arm64 category at least, but I have no idea as to
how far support has propagated through the portage tree for it, or whether
there is an arm64 overlay floating around somewhere.

http://packages.gentoo.org/?arches=all

Re: gcc-4.6 / bionic [ In reply to ]
On 05/21/14 07:06, Christopher Friedt wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com
> <mailto:wireless@tampabay.rr.com>> wrote:
>
> So, I was also wondering if anyone had any Aarch64 gentoo-embedded
> examples to put out for review or into the gentoo handbook?
>
> That's actually a really good question - i.e. what is the state of
> Aarch64 in Gentoo?
>
> Does the Gentoo project have dedicated hardware to use? Checking out
> ://packages, there is an arm64 category at least, but I have no idea as
> to how far support has propagated through the portage tree for it, or
> whether there is an arm64 overlay floating around somewhere.
>
> http://packages.gentoo.org/?arches=all

Hello Christopher

Armin76 has this [1] . Also see Linaro [2]; Linaro is the
cutting edge of arm64 development. [3]

[1]
http://armin762.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/new-aarch64arm64-stage3-available/

[2] http://www.linaro.org/news/linaro-forms-security-working-group/

[3]
https://docs.google.com/a/linaro.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AroPySpr4FnEdEwwZkhrZ1VYUEg2LTlQZzR0RlhzM3c#gid=3

hth,
James
Re: gcc-4.6 / bionic [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 13:07 -0500, wireless wrote:
> On 05/21/14 07:06, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com
> > <mailto:wireless@tampabay.rr.com>> wrote:
> >
> > So, I was also wondering if anyone had any Aarch64 gentoo-embedded
> > examples to put out for review or into the gentoo handbook?
> >
> > That's actually a really good question - i.e. what is the state of
> > Aarch64 in Gentoo?
> >
> > Does the Gentoo project have dedicated hardware to use? Checking out
> > ://packages, there is an arm64 category at least, but I have no idea as
> > to how far support has propagated through the portage tree for it, or
> > whether there is an arm64 overlay floating around somewhere.
> >
> > http://packages.gentoo.org/?arches=all

> Hello Christopher
>
> Armin76 has this [1] . Also see Linaro [2]; Linaro is the
> cutting edge of arm64 development. [3]
>
> [1]
> http://armin762.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/new-aarch64arm64-stage3-available/
>
> [2] http://www.linaro.org/news/linaro-forms-security-working-group/
>
> [3]
> https://docs.google.com/a/linaro.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AroPySpr4FnEdEwwZkhrZ1VYUEg2LTlQZzR0RlhzM3c#gid=3
>
> hth,
> James

Aside from the iPhone 5s, there isn't really a lot of hardware generally
available with arm64 on it. There is the X-Gene X-C1, though it's $5000
USD - I'm planning on getting one, but I'm still waiting on an email
from AppliedMicro telling me where I can actually purchase it.
Re: gcc-4.6 / bionic [ In reply to ]
On 05/30/14 00:16, Steev Klimaszewski wrote:

> Aside from the iPhone 5s, there isn't really a lot of hardware generally
> available with arm64 on it. There is the X-Gene X-C1, though it's $5000
> USD - I'm planning on getting one, but I'm still waiting on an email
> from AppliedMicro telling me where I can actually purchase it.

Vendors of silicon (SOC) have large companies in line before the small
companies and open source dev community. Things will change, be patient.
Do your research, before you purchase the board to ensure it does what
you want and is compatible with opensource work. There is a lot of
"smoke and mirrors" out there with 64 bit arm. The best thing to do is
contact an FAE (Field Application Engineer) from your favorite vendor,
such as Avnet, TI, Digikey, etc) specifically ask the vendor for open
source linux stacks which are available and verify the download
before purchase.

Here are some keywords (CortexA57, A15, cortex-A15, aarch64, Omap5,
Omap5430) among other to perform your google searches for 64 bit arm dev
boards. Also check over at the linaro site. Arndale is very popular,
but a myriad of SoC vendors have place silicon with various developers
in many different companies.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/samsung-launches-arndale-community-board/

http://www.ti.com/tool/omap5432-evm?DCMP=omap-5432evm-130521&HQS=omap-5432evm-b-sw

Sorry, I have not kept up with the latest on 64 bit arm development boards.

hth,
James

1 2 3  View All