Mailing List Archive

x86 flags
Hello,

Well, I got a alix.2D3+b board with an onboard Geode LX.

I intend to set up embedded Gentoo on this system,
eventually.

But first, I want to set up some old x86 hardware
on 4G CF cards, along with the Alix and TS boards, just to
get all of the hardware up and working. I have these (old
PC) systems {AMD-K6, i586, Pentium2, p3 and p4} and these
SBC {Alix.2D3-B (Geode) and TS-5500 (AMD elon-SC520)}.

I want to set up a simple gentoo install on
a 4G CF that will boot all of the machines above,
test hardware and then get individual, optimized
embedded gentoo running on these platforms some time in
the future. I have several of the CF cards, so a single
image that boots all of the aforementioned hardware, is the
goal.

Here is my proposed make.conf (generic x86) settings:

CHOST="i586-PC-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
USE="-* -nls ncurses ssl crypt berkdb perl pcre \
python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog "

Maybe add these flags {fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 pge}
or will that be redundant?

Any refinements or suggestions that will work across
the broad range of x86 machines are most welcome.

Later, once I start building embedded gentoo from a cross
compiled environment, I still want to keep the same flag
settings across all of these x86 variants, loosing some
performance, but being able to use a singular set of
binaries on these minimalist (x86) systems.

Your comments and observations are most welcome.

James
Re: x86 flags [ In reply to ]
wireless wrote:
> Well, I got a alix.2D3+b board with an onboard Geode LX.
>
> I intend to set up embedded Gentoo on this system,
> eventually.

If you like you can also look at coreboot, which supports the board.

> Here is my proposed make.conf (generic x86) settings:
>
> CHOST="i586-PC-linux-gnu"

Note: Make pc lowercase instead.

> CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
> USE="-* -nls ncurses ssl crypt berkdb perl pcre \
> python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog "
>
> Maybe add these flags {fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 pge}
> or will that be redundant?
>
> Any refinements or suggestions that will work across
> the broad range of x86 machines are most welcome.

What I do for any build is look carefully at the profile and override
any things I don't like in there. It might make sense to just create
a new profile.

> Your comments and observations are most welcome.

Not much to comment on for now. I guess you've seen these pages about
Gentoo on ALIX:

http://www.twam.info/tag/alix3d3

(Note that ALIX.2 and ALIX.3 boards are almost completely identical
from a software point of view.)

//Peter
Re: x86 flags [ In reply to ]
Previously you wrote:

> What I do for any build is look carefully at the profile and override
> any things I don't like in there. It might make sense to just create
> a new profile.

/etc/profile ????
/usr/portage/profiles ????

Some more details would be keen here.
I've never hacked a custom profile

/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0/server ???

> I guess you've seen these pages about Gentoo on ALIX:
> http://www.twam.info/tag/alix3d3

NO, but this page is excellent!

> (Note that ALIX.2 and ALIX.3 boards are almost completely identical
> from a software point of view.)

Nice to know.

James
Re: x86 flags [ In reply to ]
wireless wrote:
> > What I do for any build is look carefully at the profile

I build a stage4 with catalyst, so things may be a little different
for me. In a catalyst stage I always set the profile to use in the
.spec file. You'll probably also have to choose a profile at some
point, even if it's just about creating the /etc/make.profile
symlink.

> > and override any things I don't like in there. It might make
> > sense to just create a new profile.
..
> Some more details would be keen here.
> I've never hacked a custom profile
>
> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0/server ???

Yes, something like this. I'm not sure what would be a good location
to store them in for you. Maybe you should keep them in an overlay.

//Peter