[2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar
[3] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS
[4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS
Re: MIPS32 Rootfs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:34 AM, Manuel Lauss
<manuel.lauss@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hello!
>
> For the last few years I've been "maintaining" a small Gentoo installation
> for
> FPU-less little-endian MIPS32 processors (my main target is the "Alchemy"
> line).
>
> I've put up a tarball of the actual filesystem as well as a collection of
> individual packages at [1] and [2]. The rootfs is ~2GB unpacked, and
> includes everything required to do the Gentoo thing. (List of files
> at [3] and [4]).
>
> I'll keep updating the snapshots at irregular intervals.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day,
> Manuel Lauss
>
> [1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2
> [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar
> [3]
> http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS
> [4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS

Hey.. Manuel:
Great!
I've tried to cross build Gentoo for mips32 few times ago,
Already have a stage1 image, but never go that far...
What you've archived here is quite positive to me.
Thanks

Dennis
Re: MIPS32 Rootfs [ In reply to ]
Manuel Lauss wrote:
> Hello!
>
> For the last few years I've been "maintaining" a small Gentoo installation for
> FPU-less little-endian MIPS32 processors (my main target is the "Alchemy" line).
>
> I've put up a tarball of the actual filesystem as well as a collection of
> individual packages at [1] and [2]. The rootfs is ~2GB unpacked, and
> includes everything required to do the Gentoo thing. (List of files
> at [3] and [4]).
>
> I'll keep updating the snapshots at irregular intervals.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day,
> Manuel Lauss
>
> [1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2
> [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar
> [3] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS
> [4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS

Very cool.

Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
codebase works with?

Have you ever tried your distro with the 32 bit MicroChip
(Mips) offering?

Here it looks as though MicroChip intends to support the
Mips M14K core. Is this part of your codebase of support?

http://www.mips.com/news-events/newsroom/?i=43320

James
Re: MIPS32 Rootfs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Manuel Lauss wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > For the last few years I've been "maintaining" a small Gentoo
> installation for
> > FPU-less little-endian MIPS32 processors (my main target is the "Alchemy"
> line).
> >
> > I've put up a tarball of the actual filesystem as well as a collection of
> > individual packages at [1] and [2]. The rootfs is ~2GB unpacked, and
> > includes everything required to do the Gentoo thing. (List of files
> > at [3] and [4]).
> >
> > I'll keep updating the snapshots at irregular intervals.
> >
> > Thanks and have a nice day,
> > Manuel Lauss
> >
> > [1] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2
> > [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar
> > [3]
> http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-100204.tar.bz2.CONTENTS
> > [4] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf-packages-100204.tar.CONTENTS
>

> Very cool.
>
> Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
> codebase works with?
>
> Have you ever tried your distro with the 32 bit MicroChip
> (Mips) offering?
>
> Here it looks as though MicroChip intends to support the
> Mips M14K core. Is this part of your codebase of support?
>
> http://www.mips.com/news-events/newsroom/?i=43320
>

> James

HI James:
Quote from MIPS INC:
The new MIPS32® M14KTM and M14KcTM cores are the first MIPS32-compatible
cores that also execute the new microMIPSTM instruction set architecture
(ISA)

I have little experience here. If you are using some generic compile
flags, say "-EL -mips32 -msoft-float", then the result rootfs should words
for 14K core, also 4kec/24K

Cheers

Dennis
Re: MIPS32 Rootfs [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
> codebase works with?

It should work on any little-endian MIPS32 core. As I explained in the
original posting, my target systems are the "Alchemy" line which are
FPU-less MIPS32r1 cores. The whole system is built with a softfloat
toolchain to avoid the in-kernel CP1 emulator (which is sloooow).

I'll keep updating it; so if you need any other apps or use flags set then
I'll he be more than happy to provide them (I let a few boards compile stuff
overnight as a stability test).

Thanks,
Manuel Lauss
Re: MIPS32 Rootfs [ In reply to ]
Manuel Lauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
>> codebase works with?
>
> It should work on any little-endian MIPS32 core. As I explained in the
> original posting, my target systems are the "Alchemy" line which are
> FPU-less MIPS32r1 cores.

I should have stated that I know little of MIPS arch. I do
not know the differences, subtle or published between the
M14K and the Mips32 (vanilla() cores. I mostly asked because
I know of several folks that are looking for some form of
open source embedded linux for the Microchip 32 bit
processors. Since you indicate that it should work, I'll
send these folks to your links.

> The whole system is built with a softfloat
> toolchain to avoid the in-kernel CP1 emulator (which is sloooow).
>
> I'll keep updating it; so if you need any other apps or use flags set then
> I'll he be more than happy to provide them (I let a few boards compile stuff
> overnight as a stability test).
>
> Thanks,
> Manuel Lauss

thanks,
James
Re: MIPS32 Rootfs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 7:00 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Manuel Lauss wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Do you have a listing of 32 bit mips dev boards your
>>> codebase works with?
>>
>> It should work on any little-endian MIPS32 core.  As I explained in the
>> original posting, my target systems are the "Alchemy" line which are
>> FPU-less MIPS32r1 cores.
>

> I should have stated that I know little of MIPS arch. I do
> not know the differences, subtle  or published between the
> M14K and the Mips32 (vanilla() cores. I mostly asked because
> I know of several folks that are looking for some form of
> open source embedded linux for the Microchip 32 bit
> processors. Since you indicate that it should work, I'll
> send  these folks to your links.

I don't know the PIC32, but the target CPU needs to have an MMU,
this collection is based on glibc, not uclibc.

Manuel Lauss