Mailing List Archive

Re: Gentoo Linux Localization Guide
I’m currently mostly taking a rest from my Gentoo related activities
and working on my master’s thesis, but I commented your suggestion
below and forwarded it to gentoo-doc’s mailing list for someone to pick
up. For future improvements I suggest using our bugzilla issue tracker
<http://bugs.gentoo.org>, which is most likely to reach the active
developers fastest.

2007-09-27, WJ Hill sanoi:

> In Section 3, under the sub-sections 'What are locales?' and
> 'Environment variables for locales' the text seems to me to imply
> that a locale is only of the form ab_CD or ab_CD@euro (especially the
> text under 'Environment variables for locales'). However, under
> sub-sections 'Generating Specific Locales' and 'Generating locales
> for glibc', locales of the form en_US.ISO-8859-15 and en_GB.UTF-8 are
> given as examples. This left me wondering whether a locale of the form
> en_US.ISO-8859-15 and en_GB.UTF-8 is permissible in the directory
> /usr/share/locale and in the files /etc/env.d/02locale and ~/.bashrc
> mentioned in the guide. Are they?

Yes, in most of the current GNU systems some arbitrary @variants
and .charsets are supported, though they are not as widely supported
nor standardised as language and country codes AFAIK. There’s also
standard for four letter script marker, which is even less commonly
supported, but which one might want to note.

But I wonder if explaining these in detail will make it even more
confusing? Possibly just mentioning that suffixing .iso-8859-x, .utf-8
or such names or @euro is also permissible is enough.

--
Flammie, Gentoo Linux Documentation’s Finnish head translator, Finnish
overlay keeper and more <http://dev.gentoo.org/~flammie>.