guys, I'll say so in the bug and leave it as-is.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
Re: Not placing /proc in /etc/fstab [ In reply to ]
Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> stuff

I agree; I think it should continue to be documented. /sbin/rc's
behavior has changed and continues to change over time. It's better to
leave it in where it _may_ be unnecessary in some cases than to take it
out entirely.

May as well go ahead and mark that bug reso worksforme or wontfix.
Re: Not placing /proc in /etc/fstab [ In reply to ]
On Friday 27 July 2007, Josh Saddler wrote:
> Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> > stuff
>
> I agree; I think it should continue to be documented. /sbin/rc's
> behavior has changed and continues to change over time. It's better to
> leave it in where it _may_ be unnecessary in some cases than to take it
> out entirely.
>
> May as well go ahead and mark that bug reso worksforme or wontfix.

going from the "not doing it automatically" to the "doing it automatically" is
transparent for everyone ... baselayout hasnt required /proc in /etc/fstab in
a *very* *very* long time (if ever actually). if we were to start requiring
people to put critical stuff into /etc/fstab where we didnt before then we'd
certainly open a docs bug and make it get tracked and such, so i dont think
that's an issue at all.

i'd remove any mention of /proc /sys /dev /dev/shm from the handbook since a
user trying to tweak these mount options would be mightly confused by them
being blatantly ignored by default.
-mike
Re: Not placing /proc in /etc/fstab [ In reply to ]
On 7/28/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> i'd remove any mention of /proc /sys /dev /dev/shm from the handbook since a
> user trying to tweak these mount options would be mightly confused by them
> being blatantly ignored by default.

Also true.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
Re: Not placing /proc in /etc/fstab [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 28 July 2007, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On 7/28/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > i'd remove any mention of /proc /sys /dev /dev/shm from the handbook
> > since a user trying to tweak these mount options would be mightly
> > confused by them being blatantly ignored by default.
>
> Also true.

thinking about it, i'll update our default /etc/fstab to give some hints along
these lines ... but the way baselayout works is that anyone upgrading will
never see these as /etc/fstab is only installed if it didnt exist ...
-mike