Removing obsolete guides
I'd like to remove the obsolete guides in /doc/en/. They're all properly
marked with disclaimer="obsolete", and with the exception of
nx-guide.xml, none of them appear in list.xml. They don't work anymore
and have no business cluttering up our tree. Redirects are pointless too
for these old docs, as any links that may have existed to them elsewhere
on the net are years out of date.

Any objections?
Re: Removing obsolete guides [ In reply to ]
Josh Saddler wrote:
> I'd like to remove the obsolete guides in /doc/en/. They're all properly
> marked with disclaimer="obsolete", and with the exception of
> nx-guide.xml, none of them appear in list.xml. They don't work anymore
> and have no business cluttering up our tree. Redirects are pointless too
> for these old docs, as any links that may have existed to them elsewhere
> on the net are years out of date.
>
> Any objections?

You forgot to list the files you want to remove.

$ grep -e 'disclaimer="obsolete' *xml|grep -v redirect|cut -d: -f1|cat -b
1 colinux-howto.xml
2 ldap-howto.xml
3 management-structure.xml
4 nx-guide.xml

1 looks dead to me.

2 has two bugs assigned to it, one being a blocker, the doc is not listed in
the index

3:
"""<impo>
<brite>As of May 2005, this document is no longer valid but kept for historical
purposes.</brite>
</impo>
"""
should be clear enough

4 has been useless since day 1

/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
/
/\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/
Re: Removing obsolete guides [ In reply to ]
Xavier Neys wrote:
> Josh Saddler wrote:
>> I'd like to remove the obsolete guides in /doc/en/. They're all properly
>> marked with disclaimer="obsolete", and with the exception of
>> nx-guide.xml, none of them appear in list.xml. They don't work anymore
>> and have no business cluttering up our tree. Redirects are pointless too
>> for these old docs, as any links that may have existed to them elsewhere
>> on the net are years out of date.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> You forgot to list the files you want to remove.
>
> $ grep -e 'disclaimer="obsolete' *xml|grep -v redirect|cut -d: -f1|cat -b
> 1 colinux-howto.xml
> 2 ldap-howto.xml
> 3 management-structure.xml
> 4 nx-guide.xml

Ah, so I did, thanks for the list.

> 1 looks dead to me.

Yup, I'll kill this one.

> 2 has two bugs assigned to it, one being a blocker, the doc is not listed in
> the index

I'm currently trying to drum up interest in it among the devs who are
more knowledgable about it. Give it one last shot (or maybe two) before
killing it.

> 3:
> """<impo>
> <brite>As of May 2005, this document is no longer valid but kept for historical
> purposes.</brite>
> </impo>
> """
> should be clear enough

I think the "historical purposes" bit isn't valid anymore -- CVS is our
history, and we have many more docs that were removed but are still
available. CVS is forever! We should just use that and nuke the file.

> 4 has been useless since day 1

I agree wholeheartedly.

For now, I'll kill off 1 and 4. Thanks for your thoughts, keep 'em coming.
Re: Removing obsolete guides [ In reply to ]
Josh Saddler wrote:
> Any objections?

If I recall correctly, our practice was to never remove anything that we
used to document.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Removing obsolete guides [ In reply to ]
Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Josh Saddler wrote:
>> Any objections?
>
> If I recall correctly, our practice was to never remove anything that we
> used to document.

In the two plus years that I've been helping out with the GDP, I
personally have never heard of any such policy, nor did I find anything
in our projspace docs.

Given the 61 (and counting) dead files in viewCVS, that practice does
not seem to reflect reality. It makes sense to me to get rid of out of
Re: Removing obsolete guides [ In reply to ]
Josh Saddler wrote:
> Jan Kundrát wrote:
>> Josh Saddler wrote:
>>> Any objections?
>> If I recall correctly, our practice was to never remove anything that we
>> used to document.
>
> In the two plus years that I've been helping out with the GDP, I
> personally have never heard of any such policy, nor did I find anything
> in our projspace docs.
>
> Given the 61 (and counting) dead files in viewCVS, that practice does
> not seem to reflect reality. It makes sense to me to get rid of out of
> date, invalid docs. As I said, CVS history is forever. :)

There's dead & dead. Many of the deleted files are oopsies or files that have
been replaced by another one, moved elsewhere or integrated into the handbook.

Sure CVS keeps them all, but it's not as handy for anyone who wants to have a
peek at it for whatever reason.
Keep in mind that any removed file means a few more 404s.
We only remove the very very dead or dangerous ones, and the oopsies.