Mailing List Archive

DRobbins 2007.0 review
This is a followup from
http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=236711&cid=19324981
and (beware the wrap)
http://www.funtoo.org/drobbins/blog/2007/05/gentoo-linux-20070-review-
first.html

Nightmorph mentioned posting comments in regard to the documentation
angle here, so here I am. I've been lurking and don't /think/ I'm
rehashing old discussions, but if so, just tell me. Anyway, repeating
the comment I made in the link, so folks don't have to go read it of they
don't want to...

In trying to reply to the issues as I did, well, let's just say I'd have
been confused trying to read the present install documentation as a
Gentoo newbie (it was confusing enough as it was, knowing what was in the
old handbook and trying to see if it was in the current one, then finding
there was a 2007.0 one as well). It can be sorted out, but it's not
easy, and whats worse, with both a 2007.0 handbook, and a general Gentoo
Linux handbook, if someone goes for help and refers or is referred to the
handbook, it's quite possible the person wanting help and the person
trying to help will each be reading different "handbooks", and not even
realize it until much confusion has ensued.

- For 2007.1, full integration of the old Gentoo Handbook into the new
Gentoo 2007.x handbook should be complete, so there's only one "handbook"
and people won't get confused. It looks like it was already headed that
way, but unfortunately hadn't been completed. Probably trim the parts
other than installation from the old one as they appear to be in the new
one already, and retitle the remaining installation "Manual
Installation", or "Installation without the installer" or something
similar.

- Modify the existing Installation Documentation listing
( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=install ) or create a new
one suitable to be the primary installation documentation landing point.
Off the top of my head, that means moving the Installation Related
Resources up, eliminating or condensing and possibly moving to the bottom
the intro and doc repository paragraphs.

- Further modifying the Installation Docs listing, reorder the list so
commonly needed resources are at the top. Leave the handbook first (but
as I said, make sure there's only one "handbook", or at least deprecate
and move a second one down under "Other", if it continues to exist),
followed by the quick-install guide, tips and tricks, and alternate
install methods. Only those four under the first/main header.
Everything else under "Other Related".

- Consider making all four entries in the main install section language/
arch-landers of their own, much as the two handbooks are already
handled. Thus, the quick install guide link on the main lander will link
a (generic) quick install guide lander, which would in turn have the
existing x86, sparc, and gfbsd guides, among others. The G/amd64 FAQ and
chroot howtos, currently linked from the amd64 project, may be possible
candidates for linking on the tips and tricks lander. The LVM2, GRUB
error collection, USB, and Bluetooth guides may fit here as well, as may
the MIPS guide. Of course, if this is done, the descriptions for quick
install and tips on the main installation lander page would need expanded
to mention them, as appropriate.

- Gentoo 1.4 upgrade could probably by now be removed or moved to a
"deprecated" lander. The 2.6 kernel upgrading guide may need to hang
around for awhile, but could be moved to either the deprecated lander
with G/1.4 or an upgrade lander, with the Gentoo upgrading guide.

- Other possible landers if an alternate organization is chosen might
include hardware (bluetooth, USB, MIPS, etc) and system software landers
(GRUB, kernel 2.6 upgrading and genkernel guides, etc).

- Given the studies demonstrating a dramatic drop in usability and
simplicity when the number of choices exceeds 4-7, (coincidentally or
not, seven is said to be the number of "memory elements" an average
person seems to be able to hold in active instant memory at once, before
things start dropping out), if we could reduce the number of immediate
choices on the main Installation Documentation lander page to seven or
less, using secondary landers as suggested above, I believe it would
dramatically increase the usability of such a lander page. Thus, that'd
be a worthwhile goal, IMO.

After fixing up the main installation docs lander page:

- In all installation documentation other than the single Installation
Docs lander, replace the possibly many references to related install
documents with a single (or single per chapter anyway, in the case of the
old/manual method handbook, given the length) but likely higher
prominence reference to the Install Docs main lander. This will simplify
wording in multiple resources, while pointing all readers at the single
common installation docs landing point, with the benefits that brings in
terms of consistent and maintainable documentation.

If this is done, I believe it will make finding the proper documentation
easier and less confusing, and therefore, with luck, will increase the
number of folks reading it. With the installer getting better, it's not
like newbies necessarily /have/ to read it any more, to get a working
install, but I believe we'll all be happier if people continue to read
the docs anyway, and it follows that making that easier to do is a goal
worth pursuing. Hopefully, this proposal, or anyway the discussion that
might follow telling me why it's not as great as I think it is (;.;)
before getting any feedback, will advance that goal.

Either way, if I may be of help... =8^)

Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Duncan wrote:

> In trying to reply to the issues as I did, well, let's just say I'd have
> been confused trying to read the present install documentation as a
> Gentoo newbie (it was confusing enough as it was, knowing what was in the
> old handbook and trying to see if it was in the current one, then finding
> there was a 2007.0 one as well). <snip>

A few months ago I posted an alternative solution to the Gentoo newbie
confusion problem. I have put together the following Gentoo installation
materials which are specifically designed to guide newbies through the Gentoo
installation process in a thorough and unambiguous way:

http://206.21.94.60/tkosan/distancelearning/etec150/lectures/

I recently tested these materials with a group of 25 high school students in a
distance learning course and all but one was able to successfully install
Gentoo. I have also had a 13 year old use the materials to install Gentoo with
very few problems.

I think that the current documentation that Nightmorph has put together is well
suited to more experienced users. For example, I like the different paths that
the documentation present at various points because it allows me to see
alternatives that I often did not know existed.

Instead of replacing the handbook, or radically altering it, my intent with the
newbie materials is to have a newbie use them to successfully install Gentoo
and then they should blow their installation away and do a reinstall from
scratch using the normal Handbook.

Ted

Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 20:04 -0700, Ted Kosan wrote:
> I think that the current documentation that Nightmorph has put together is well
> suited to more experienced users. For example, I like the different paths that
> the documentation present at various points because it allows me to see
> alternatives that I often did not know existed.
>
> Instead of replacing the handbook, or radically altering it, my intent with the
> newbie materials is to have a newbie use them to successfully install Gentoo
> and then they should blow their installation away and do a reinstall from
> scratch using the normal Handbook.

See, here's the funny thing about the Handbook. We can never please
everybody. The Handbook used to be a single document. There were many
problems with new users being confused by all of the choices presented
to them in the Handbook, so the arch-specific items were moved into
arch-specific files and the networkless Handbook was split from the
networked Handbook. Now people are talking about merging them again,
which seems like a serious step backwards.

Why not just rename the "2007.0 Handbook" into the "2007.0 Networkless
Installation Guide" or something similar? After all, the versioned
Handbooks are only good for the release they correspond to and it won't
mean going back to having a single and confusing Handbook. All that is
really needed is a link to the networkless guide for people to follow if
they're planning on a networkless install, assuming it isn't there
already.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Chris wrote:

> See, here's the funny thing about the Handbook. We can never please
> everybody. The Handbook used to be a single document. There were many
> problems with new users being confused by all of the choices presented
> to them in the Handbook, so the arch-specific items were moved into
> arch-specific files and the networkless Handbook was split from the
> networked Handbook. Now people are talking about merging them again,
> which seems like a serious step backwards.
>
> Why not just rename the "2007.0 Handbook" into the "2007.0 Networkless
> Installation Guide" or something similar? After all, the versioned
> Handbooks are only good for the release they correspond to and it won't
> mean going back to having a single and confusing Handbook. All that is
> really needed is a link to the networkless guide for people to follow if
> they're planning on a networkless install, assuming it isn't there
> already.

My position on why newbies have never been pleased with the Handbook in any of
its forms is that the Handbook was never designed specifically for Linux
newbies. Since the content in the Handbook is not designed for Linux newbies,
it doesn't matter whether this content is placed into one large document or
split into separate documents, it is not going to meet their needs :-)

This is why I created a completely separate set of Gentoo Linux installation
instructions that are specifically designed for Linux newbies. These materials
patiently explain what each step of the installation process is doing and why.

The materials have already been tested with 25 high school students and they
represent a solid, proven solution to the Gentoo newbie problem that is ready
to use right now.

Anyway, here is a link to these materials again in case anyone is interested in
taking a closer them:

http://206.21.94.60/tkosan/distancelearning/etec150/lectures

Thanks :-)

Ted
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> posted
1180737662.17690.94.camel@workbox.quova.com, excerpted below, on Fri, 01
Jun 2007 15:41:02 -0700:

> Why not just rename the "2007.0 Handbook" into the "2007.0 Networkless
> Installation Guide" or something similar? After all, the versioned
> Handbooks are only good for the release they correspond to and it won't
> mean going back to having a single and confusing Handbook. All that is
> really needed is a link to the networkless guide for people to follow if
> they're planning on a networkless install, assuming it isn't there
> already.

Renaming, so there's just one "Handbook", would indeed help.

What I'm left wondering, however, is why this:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2007.0/index.xml

(which /does/ say it's networkless only) then includes the non-
installation parts of the handbook, Working with Gentoo, Working with
Portage, and Gentoo Network Configuration (on what's supposed to be for
networkless?)?

If it's not intended to be the whole handbook, only the networkless
installation guide, why does it /look/ like the whole handbook?

A second question is one raised in the DRobbins review, but now relating
to documentation. I still don't know which "handbook" he was following,
but the installer CD he was using didn't have stages or sources. The
"Networkless"/dated "handbook" talks about prebuilt packages on the CD,
while the general handbook says two different things in different
places. In chapter 2, it explains that the minimal CD simply boots the
system and prepares the network, where everything else comes from "live",
while the Installer LiveCD contains everything needed to install Gentoo,
networkless if needed/desired. However, it then states that stage
tarballs need to downloaded separately (how, if it's networkless), which
would seem to make a lie of the "everything needed" claim. If everything
needed is included, a separate stage-X download is by definition NOT
required, as it's "included" as part of "everything". Chapter Five
mentions a THIRD kind of CD, the "Universal" CD (Um... why wasn't this
third choice mentioned earlier, in the section where people were actually
supposed to be choosing install media?), which is said to include the
stage tarballs, and thus would truly include "everything needed". Again
it says the other CDs, Minimal and LiveCD, don't include the necessary
tarballs. Again, how can the claim of "everything needed" /possibly/ be
true, if the needed tarballs aren't included?

So which is it? Does the LiveCD include "everything needed" as claimed,
or does it require a NOT included stage tarball, as claimed elsewhere?

What it looks like to me is that the LiveCD installer is new and now
emphasized on the media choices page of the main handbook, and in the
networkless install (2007.0) "handbook", and the universal CD was
possibly dropped, but general handbook chapter 5 wasn't updated to
reflect the new situation. Even when updated, however, there's still the
issue of saying "everything needed" is included on the installer CD, when
it apparently isn't, since according to both the main handbook and the
DRobbins review, the stage tarball must be downloaded separately. (His
comment was that a fully functional GNOME including Evolution was on the
CD, but not the stage tarball, which he thought would be a more sensible
use of the space required for the GNOME install. Perhaps an X installer,
but something lighter than GNOME, so the stage tarball could be
included. The point I'm making, however, is that if an additional stage
tarball is required, don't say "everything needed" is included, quite
separate from whether the full GNOME environment including Evolution is a
wise use of the space.)

So anyway, yes, renaming the networkless install to something other than
"Handbook is certainly one good step, IMO, so there's only one
"Handbook", but it's only one step. Maybe kill the additional parts
(Working with portage and etc) from what is now the Networkless Install
guide, so that's /all/ it is, would seem wise to me also (tho there are
arguments that could be made to keep them). The above confusion over
media and "everything needed" must be addressed too.

That would (IMO) straighten out the immediate confusion. Beyond that,
doing the single landing point for all things install documentation
related I think is also a good thing, but not as vital, so even if
undertaken, could be a longer term project.

Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Duncan wrote:
> [...]

> wording in multiple resources, while pointing all readers at the single
> common installation docs landing point, with the benefits that brings in
> terms of consistent and maintainable documentation.
>

> If this is done, I believe it will make finding the proper documentation
> easier and less confusing, and therefore, with luck, will increase the
> number of folks reading it. With the installer getting better, it's not
> like newbies necessarily /have/ to read it any more, to get a working
> install, but I believe we'll all be happier if people continue to read
> the docs anyway, and it follows that making that easier to do is a goal
> worth pursuing. Hopefully, this proposal, or anyway the discussion that
> might follow telling me why it's not as great as I think it is (;.;)
> before getting any feedback, will advance that goal.

The only thing Daniel has revealed in his brief review is that *he* is
too advanced for the long-format handbooks. All he needs is the quicker
checklist form of the handbooks (the existing quick install guides)
since he has the process more or less memorized. I've spoken with Daniel
about this a few times now on both his blog and on IRC. The GDP
disagrees with what he thinks needs to be done.

A new user, both new to installing Gentoo and new to Linux, needs the
longer format handbooks that we have now. The reason why those go into
their detail is that users *will need to know* some basic terminology
and linux commands. They won't know what the hell they're doing if they
follow a one-page guide and then reboot into their system. When they run
into trouble, they'll have no idea what phrases like "chroot the
tarball" and other jargon mean when they ask for help in the forums and
on IRC.

Dunno what the hell you're talking about by "integration", but I will
say this: users need the Portage handbooks and the ever-critical
networking handbook too. They aren't going away. The handbook structure
will stay as-is. Changing it will not help the most central problem
we're up against: that users simply *do not read* documents, period.
It's not in their nature. No amount of restructuring or other
handholding will change that for them; they have to take the plunge into
the technical world of Gentoo on their own.

The only thing that might be changed is the naming convention of the
networkless vs. networked handbooks. While messages about which one you
should read are everywhere, somehow users still manage to miss the right
one, either because PEBKAC or other reasons.
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Josh Saddler wrote:

> Changing it will not help the most central problem
> we're up against: that users simply *do not read* documents, period.
> It's not in their nature. No amount of restructuring or other
> handholding will change that for them; they have to take the plunge into
> the technical world of Gentoo on their own.

In the college freshman course I taught with the Handbook over the past few
years, everyone read the Handbook ( I know because I was in the computer lab
looking over their shoulders while they were reading it ) but only around 2 in
each class of 25 were able to successfully install Gentoo without significant
assistance.

My observation of students that attempt to install Gentoo on their own (
outside of this class and without assistance ) is that very few of them are
successful.

I agree that most people do not read the documentation and this is why they
fail. My experience indicates, however, that a significant percentage of
people are reading the Handbook but are still failing because the materials in
the Handbook are not meeting their needs.

Ted
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
RE: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
I just finished my undergrad. About two years ago I took up Gentoo as a student on my own and the handbook was the best linux doc I'd ever seen at that point. My first hand experience helping classmates is similar to yours however. There is a huge gap to be bridged for windows / mac / gnome / kde users to get into gentoo. Huge like, what's a kernel and why should I configure it, or the fact that tar.bz2 is a compressed file tree, not an executable install file ala windows setup.exe. I seriously had a classmate ask me half way through the semester of my operating systems course how to change the current directory. He never used DOS growing up, like most kids my age.

Things like chroot, tar and symbolic links are demonstrated but their practical application is not well explained. Do you annoy the savvy or help the newbies?

Chad

Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Michael wrote,

> One wonders if the handbook should meet those needs. It may be the commission
> of the handbook to teach the uninitiated how to install Gentoo, but need it
> be
> a requirement that they be able to install Gentoo without help?

I like the Handbook and I think the Handbook is very good for what it is
designed for. But it was not designed for use by Linux newbies and I do not
think it should it be.

> It's not feasible to try
> to write a single document to try to compete with that.

Well, I have already written a single document that is designed to allow Linux
newbies to install Gentoo without help. The document has been tested under
controlled conditions and it works reasonably well :-)

If this document was offered as an option for newbies to work through before
moving on to the Handbook, my experience indicates that the percent of newbies
who are able to successfully install Gentoo should increase significantly.

Ted

RE: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Chad wrote:

> I just finished my undergrad. About two years ago I took up Gentoo as a
> student on my own and the handbook was the best linux doc I'd ever seen at
> that point. My first hand experience helping classmates is similar to yours
> however. There is a huge gap to be bridged for windows / mac / gnome / kde
> users to get into gentoo. Huge like, what's a kernel and why should I
> configure it, or the fact that tar.bz2 is a compressed file tree, not an
> executable install file ala windows setup.exe. I seriously had a classmate
> ask me half way through the semester of my operating systems course how to
> change the current directory. He never used DOS growing up, like most kids
> my age.
>
> Things like chroot, tar and symbolic links are demonstrated but their
> practical application is not well explained. Do you annoy the savvy or help
> the newbies?

My position is that the Handbook is well suited for the savvy and that Linux
newbies need their own, separate document that is specifically designed to meet
their needs. Listed below are most of the pieces of information that I found
newbies needed more help with while installing Gentoo. The document I created
explains each of these topics and I found that ( in most cases ) this is all
that needs to be done to help newbies bridge the gap between
windows/mac/gnome/kde and the Gentoo Handbook.

Thanks :-)

Ted

- What is GNU?
- What are the main parts of an operating system and what does each part do?
- What is a GNU/Linux distribution?
- What is VMware?
- What is a .iso file?
- What does the ifconfig program do?
- What does the ping command do?
- What is a file?
- What is a filesystem?
- What is a hierarchal filesystem?
- What is a directory?
- What does the cd command do?
- What does the pwd command do?
- What does the ls command do?
- What does the -l option do when passed to the ls command?
- What is a symbolic link?
- In an ls long listing, how does one know which entries are files, directories
and links?
- What is the purpose of the /mnt directory?
- What is a path?
- What is a path separator?
- What is contained in the /bin directory?
- What does the "more" command do?
- What does a "pipe" do and what is its symbol?
- What does the -a option do when passed to the ls command?
- What is the purpose of the /proc directory?
- What is the purpose of the /etc directory?
- What is the purpose of the /home directory?
- What is abstraction and why is it useful?
- What is an interface and how is an interface related to abstraction?
- What is a block device?
- What is a character device?
- What is the purpose of the /dev directory?
- What does partitioning a hard drive do to it?
- What did we use the hda1 partition for?
- What did we use the hda2 partition for?
- What did we use the hda3 partition for?
- What is a hard drive cylinder?
- What "type code" is given to Linux partitions?
- What is the main difference between the Ext2 filesystem and the Ext3
filesystem?
- What command is used to place the Ext2 filesystem on a partition?
- What is the purpose of a swap partition?
- Where did we mount the /dev/hda3 partition in the CD's directory hierarchy?
- Where did we mount the /dev/hda1 partition in the CD's directory hierarchy?
- What command is used to set the motherboard's clock chip?
- What does the .tar file extension mean?
- What does the .bz2 file extension mean?
- What does it mean when a file has a .tar.bz2 extension?
- What does the wget command do?
- What is a message digest?
- What command did we use to determine the MD5 message digest for a file.
- Why are message digests used with large download files on the Internet?
- What is contained in a Gentoo stage3 file?
- What does the tar command's 'j' option mean?
- What is the portage tree?
- Where is the portage tree in the directory hierarchy?
- List 3 packages that are in the games-mud category in the portage tree.
- What is the difference between the / top-level root directory and the /root
directory?
- What does the chroot command do?
- What does DHCP do?
- How can you tell how long your computer has been running?
- What is a dumb terminal and why are they called 'dumb'?
- What is a teletype?
- What is a shell?
- What is a terminal emulator and why were they invented?
- How do you switch between virtual terminals in Gentoo linux?
- What is a shell environment variable?
- Which environment variable holds the command line prompt configuration?
- Which command is used to change a shell's environment variables?
- What keys need to be pressed to save a file in the nano text editor?
- What keys need to be pressed to exit the nano text editor?
- If you are on a Linux system, and you want to obtain information about what a
command does, how can you do this from the command line?
- What is ASCII?
- What is the decimal ASCII number for a capital letter 'A'?
- What are USE flags used for?
- What does the 'less' command do that the 'more' command cannot do?
- What 2 files contain descriptions of the USE flags and where are these files
located in the directory hierarchy?
- Into which file are USE flags placed so that they can be seen by portage?
- Which directory holds the timezone information for all of the world's
timezones?
- Which package was emerged that contained the Linux source code?
- What command runs the kernel configuration utility program?
- What does the lspci command do?
- What is a kernel module?
- What is the difference between arrow braces <> and square braces [] in the
menuconfig program?
- In the menuconfig program, how does one exit from the current menu?
- What effect does placing a period in front of a filename have?
- What is the filename of the file that the menuconfig program saves the kernel
configuration in?
- When the kernel is compiled, what is the name of the file that is created and
where is it located?
- What is the purpose of the fstab file?
- What is a system service?
- What does the syslog-ng service do?
- What is grub?
- What command creates a user account?
- What is the command that sets a password?
<end>
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Ted Kosan wrote:
> My position is that the Handbook is well suited for the savvy and that Linux
> newbies need their own, separate document that is specifically designed to meet
> their needs. Listed below are most of the pieces of information that I found
> newbies needed more help with while installing Gentoo. The document I created
> explains each of these topics and I found that ( in most cases ) this is all
> that needs to be done to help newbies bridge the gap between
> windows/mac/gnome/kde and the Gentoo Handbook.
>

> - What is [foo]

And all that is found by Googling, as it should be. We create documents
specifically for Gentoo Linux, for when there is a
distribution-specific way of doing something. General Linux info that is
not specific to Gentoo does not belong; go elsewhere for that. We have
done an admirable job about getting users up to speed on some of the
Linux basics as they pertain to Gentoo in our handbook; that is all they
need. Keep in mind that we treat even certain Linux fundamentals quite
differently from how they're used in other distros.

I (personally :))don't think we'll be using your document anytime soon.
Our handbook serves its purpose, which is to introduce someone to Gentoo
Linux.

I was a complete newcomer to Linux; Gentoo was the first distro that I
successfully installed (having unsuccessfully used crappy Ubuntu LiveCDs
late in 2004). That was in '05. I had never used the command line
before. Gentoo was a plunge into the deep end of the pool for me, but as
soon as I installed it, I was able to keep it and use it as my primary
(within a few months *only*) OS.

That's a testament to how well our handbook and other documents are put
together, as well as the quality of support I received a few times on
the forums. I believe our handbook meets our requirements, which is
introducing potential users to Gentoo. Complete newbies to Linux in
general need a specific resources *just for that*, as I've said before:
there are plenty of "Linux for Dummies" and "Spring into Linux"-type
books at local bookstores. I won't recommend that users who find Gentoo
too hard try books for Ubuntu etc.; I think that they are both within
reach even for newcomers ... as I once was.
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
I have been for a year on gentoo and I recently subscribed to this list. To
introduce myself, I am a psychologist with no studies in computing and I have
been using gentoo for a year now. I very much apologise if I am telling
something out of context.

A Divendres 01 Juny 2007, Ted Kosan va escriure:
> A few months ago I posted an alternative solution to the Gentoo newbie
> confusion problem. I have put together the following Gentoo installation
> materials which are specifically designed to guide newbies through the
> Gentoo installation process in a thorough and unambiguous way:

I have been reading your materials and I find them really good. In fact, I
will give your materials to a friend of mine (if this is all right with you)
so she can install gentoo on her own.

A Dimecres 06 Juny 2007, Josh Saddler va escriure:
> I was a complete newcomer to Linux; Gentoo was the first distro that I
> successfully installed (having unsuccessfully used crappy Ubuntu LiveCDs
> late in 2004). That was in '05. I had never used the command line
> before. Gentoo was a plunge into the deep end of the pool for me, but as
> soon as I installed it, I was able to keep it and use it as my primary
> (within a few months *only*) OS.

My first experience is similar to this one. I had no idea what I was doing
when I first installed gentoo and no understanding of, for example, what
chroot meant. I find the handbook really really good as I was able to
successfully install gentoo without grasping the meaning of what I was doing
while, at the same time, enabling me to understand it afterwards. At the same
time, I believe that Ted materials have information I wish I had when I first
installed gentoo: they are not general materials on "gnu/linux" but a
detailed explanation on how to install gentoo giving some context on what is
being done.

Ted: please, let me know if it is all right with you if I make private copies
of the text.

Cheers!

--
Joanet
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Joanet:

> At the same time, I believe that Ted materials have information I
> wish I had when I first installed gentoo: they are not general
> materials on "gnu/linux" but a detailed explanation on how to
> install gentoo giving some context on what is
> being done.
>
> Ted: please, let me know if it is all right with you if I make private copies

> of the text.

The latest version of my Gentoo Newbie ebook has been placed under a Creative
Commons license so you will be free to make as many copies of it as you would
like :-)

I am currently updating the book to work with Gentoo release 2007.0 for an
online class of 10-17 year olds I am teaching.

The updates should be finished within a week and here is the site that will
house the updated version of the book when it is ready:

http://gentoonewbie.org

Ted

Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Your Gentoo Newbie ebook might be just what I need! this Friday I will
be helping a friend of mine (and Linux newbie) to install Gentoo. Where
can I find the old copies? Please let me know when you release the
latest version so I add the news to my website
(theopensourceactivist.com)

Regards,

Aniruddha

Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
Aniruddha wrote:

> Your Gentoo Newbie ebook might be just what I need! this Friday I will
> be helping a friend of mine (and Linux newbie) to install Gentoo. Where
> can I find the old copies? Please let me know when you release the
> latest version so I add the news to my website
> (theopensourceactivist.com)

Here are the old copies:

http://206.21.94.60/tkosan/distancelearning/etec150/lectures/linux

I will let you know when the update is available :-)

Ted
Re: DRobbins 2007.0 review [ In reply to ]
2007/9/4, Ted Kosan <tkosan@yahoo.com>:
> Aniruddha wrote:
>
> > Your Gentoo Newbie ebook might be just what I need! this Friday I will
> > be helping a friend of mine (and Linux newbie) to install Gentoo. Where
> > can I find the old copies? Please let me know when you release the
> > latest version so I add the news to my website
> > (theopensourceactivist.com)
>
> Here are the old copies:
>
> http://206.21.94.60/tkosan/distancelearning/etec150/lectures/linux
>
> I will let you know when the update is available :-)

I have had a look at your guide, it seems really well done.
Congratulations

Marcello