Mailing List Archive

Introducing myself...
Hello everybody!

My name is Lukas, I've been using Gentoo since 2004.3, instantly fell in
love ;-) , and now I feel like it's time for me to start contributing
something.

Because I especially like Gentoo for its excellent documentation, I thought,
maybe gentoo-doc would be a good place for me to participate.

I'm Swiss, so my mother tongue is german. My english is quite solid I think,
probably not good enough to actually write english docs (or at least not
withouth a native speaker proofreading it), but definitely good enough for
translating en->de.

My primary areas of interest are in networking (protocols, service
configuration, security), so for these topics I would actually understand
what I'm translating ;-)

I'm also capable of creating valid and semantically correct (X)HTML, if that's
of any use.

Ok, so much for that, if you need to know anything else or are just curious,
don't hesitate to ask. :)

I would love if somebody could give me a start, as I have no idea how to
begin ;-)

Best regards,
Lukas
Re: Introducing myself... [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 21:54, Lukas Graf wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> My name is Lukas, I've been using Gentoo since 2004.3, instantly fell in
> love ;-) , and now I feel like it's time for me to start contributing
> something.
>
> Because I especially like Gentoo for its excellent documentation, I
> thought, maybe gentoo-doc would be a good place for me to participate.
>
> I'm Swiss, so my mother tongue is german. My english is quite solid I
> think, probably not good enough to actually write english docs (or at least
> not withouth a native speaker proofreading it), but definitely good enough
> for translating en->de.
>
> My primary areas of interest are in networking (protocols, service
> configuration, security), so for these topics I would actually understand
> what I'm translating ;-)
>
> I'm also capable of creating valid and semantically correct (X)HTML, if
> that's of any use.
>
> Ok, so much for that, if you need to know anything else or are just
> curious, don't hesitate to ask. :)
>
> I would love if somebody could give me a start, as I have no idea how to
> begin ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Lukas
Hi Lukas,
since you expressed interested in working on german translations you should go
ahead and read this short howto [1]. There you'll find a general overview of
how our team works and how you can start contributing.
If you have further questions you could either see if someone in
#gentoo-doc-de on irc.freenod.net can help you (we like to idle) or join our
mailing list gentoo-doc-de [2] or simply ask me directly (since that's kinda
my job).
Hope to see commits from you soon, all the best,
Hendrik

[1] http://www.gentoo.de/proj/de/gtt/information.xml
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
Re: Introducing myself... [ In reply to ]
Lukas Graf wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> My name is Lukas, I've been using Gentoo since 2004.3, instantly fell in
> love ;-) , and now I feel like it's time for me to start contributing
> something.
>
> Because I especially like Gentoo for its excellent documentation, I thought,
> maybe gentoo-doc would be a good place for me to participate.

Hi Lukas, many thanks for your kind words.

> I'm Swiss, so my mother tongue is german. My english is quite solid I think,
> probably not good enough to actually write english docs (or at least not
> withouth a native speaker proofreading it), but definitely good enough for
> translating en->de.
>
> My primary areas of interest are in networking (protocols, service
> configuration, security), so for these topics I would actually understand
> what I'm translating ;-)

If you think that you can write a nice documentation for something like
that, feel free to do so (but coordinate your efforts with us,
preferably via the #gentoo-doc IRC channel on freenode).

> I'm also capable of creating valid and semantically correct (X)HTML, if that's
> of any use.

Not so much. We use a custom XML format [1] and a couple of XSLT
stylesheets to make our webpage look as nice as it does :)

> Ok, so much for that, if you need to know anything else or are just curious,
> don't hesitate to ask. :)

You might find those links [2] [3] [4] valuable.

> I would love if somebody could give me a start, as I have no idea how to
> begin ;-)

Looking for opened bugreports in our Bugzilla [5] is a good start
(search for those assigned to the "docs-team@gentoo.org" e-mail). If you
feel like willing to help, just go on, comment on them and provide
patches :).

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-tipsntricks.xml
[3] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-policy.xml