I'm cc'ing releng on this, but would request all replies to be kept to
doc only so as to a) have an archive of the discussion b) not to flood
releng un-necessarily.

Thanks and Regards,

--
Shyam Mani | <fox2mike@gentoo.org>
docs-team | http://gdp.gentoo.org
GPG Key | 0xFDD0E345
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 12:11 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
> One question: how many other arches have had their networkless installs moved to
> the GLI by default? Sure, I wrote the gtkfe/dialog to be arch-neutral, but
> depending on 2006.1 arch additions and/or screen/config process additions, it
> might need to be updated somewhat.

Provided that there are no more major bugs, we should be switching amd64
to using GLI this release.

Also, the GTK+ installer will have "modes" support. This is a selection
on the first screen for "standard" and "networkless" that disables any
options under networkless that might require a network connection. It
should reduce the number of bugs caused by people doing things like
selecting dcron when doing networkless, or anything else that would
cause a network to be required.

> Overall, I'd say we're in great shape, with hopefully minimal content changes to
> be made to the docs.

There will probably be a good bit of content changes due to modes
support. I'll try to get you guys a beta "advanced" copy of a LiveCD as
quickly as possible to help you guys work through the documentation.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 13:08 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
> > There will probably be a good bit of content changes due to modes
> > support. I'll try to get you guys a beta "advanced" copy of a LiveCD as
> > quickly as possible to help you guys work through the documentation.
> >
> Thanks very much for this heads-up, Chris. Yay! Sooner I get a copy (or a handy
> video like last time ;)), the sooner I can start making the changes to the
> networkless handbook.

Well, the main changes to the CD are in the device detection programs
(I've updated them all) and in the package versions on the CD. There
will be a newer installer, but you can "preview" it from the 2006.0 CD.
All you have to do is boot the CD, then open a console. From the
console, type:

/opt/installer/misc/updategtkfe

This automatically downloads the latest snapshot version and runs it.

We haven't made an "official" snapshot for 2006.1 of the Installer, so a
few things may change, but not much. For example, the "Extra packages"
screen needs a little work.

Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/06, Shyam Mani <fox2mike@gentoo.org> wrote:
> If you have suggestions for improvement in format etc or anything at
> all, now would be the time to speak up.

I don't know how useful this would be to other people, but one thing I
would like for the handbook is the ability at the start to select a
few options from a simple form saying what type of installation I'm
doing (x86, genkernel, lilo as the bootloader for example) and be
presented with a custom handbook that only shows the relevant sections
for what I want to do, rather than having to skip over large chunks
whenever I come to a fork where I only need to follow one path.

It's only an idea though, not sure how it would be implemented or
whether it would be worth the effort.

Paul
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 10:22 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:

> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> >>>
> >> Thanks very much for this heads-up, Chris. Yay! Sooner I get a copy (or a handy
> >> video like last time ;)), the sooner I can start making the changes to the
> >> networkless handbook.
> >
> > Well, the main changes to the CD are in the device detection programs
> > (I've updated them all) and in the package versions on the CD. There
> > will be a newer installer, but you can "preview" it from the 2006.0 CD.
> > All you have to do is boot the CD, then open a console. From the
> > console, type:
> >
> > /opt/installer/misc/updategtkfe
> >
> > This automatically downloads the latest snapshot version and runs it.
> >
> > We haven't made an "official" snapshot for 2006.1 of the Installer, so a
> > few things may change, but not much. For example, the "Extra packages"
> > screen needs a little work.
> >

> You found a way to update a LiveCD? You rock so hardcore. :D

Not exactly. The /opt/installer gets mounted as tmpfs and a new
snapshot is pulled down, installed, and ran. It works, but isn't the
best approach.

> And yeah, mostly my changes will be dependent on any new screens or if the order
> of screens (or order and naming of options within them) has changed.

I figured as much. This should be exactly what you need.

Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Hello Doc-Folks,

On 6/8/06, Paul Waring <pwaring@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how useful this would be to other people, but one thing I
> would like for the handbook is the ability at the start to select a
> few options from a simple form saying what type of installation I'm
> doing (x86, genkernel, lilo as the bootloader for example) and be
> presented with a custom handbook that only shows the relevant sections

This is actually a good idea -- I think the density of instructions is
a little overwhelming. Any comments on feasibility? Might require some
more fine-grained splitting of sections, but seems worth it in the
long haul.
--
Arun Raghavan
(http://nemesis.accosted.net)
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On 7/15/06, Arun Raghavan <arunisgod@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Doc-Folks,
>
> On 6/8/06, Paul Waring <pwaring@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know how useful this would be to other people, but one thing I
> > would like for the handbook is the ability at the start to select a
> > few options from a simple form saying what type of installation I'm
> > doing (x86, genkernel, lilo as the bootloader for example) and be
> > presented with a custom handbook that only shows the relevant sections
>
> This is actually a good idea -- I think the density of instructions is
> a little overwhelming. Any comments on feasibility? Might require some
> more fine-grained splitting of sections, but seems worth it in the
> long haul.

On second thought, there are only a few splittable sections that I
found -- did I miss anything?

? Installation medium
* Network setup
* Kernel config method
* Bootloader

-- Arun
Re: 2006.1 Handbook suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On 7/15/06, Arun Raghavan <arunisgod@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Doc-Folks,
>>
>> On 6/8/06, Paul Waring <pwaring@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I don't know how useful this would be to other people, but one thing I
>> > would like for the handbook is the ability at the start to select a
>> > few options from a simple form saying what type of installation I'm
>> > doing (x86, genkernel, lilo as the bootloader for example) and be
>> > presented with a custom handbook that only shows the relevant sections
>>
>> This is actually a good idea -- I think the density of instructions is
>> a little overwhelming. Any comments on feasibility? Might require some
>> more fine-grained splitting of sections, but seems worth it in the
>> long haul.
>
> On second thought, there are only a few splittable sections that I
> found -- did I miss anything?
>
> ? Installation medium
> * Network setup
> * Kernel config method
> * Bootloader
>
> -- Arun

That idea is about as old as the handbook.
Check http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/ again, it's been answered a long
time ago.
Besides, if you think the HB is too much for you, use the quick install guide
instead.

/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
/