Mailing List Archive

Re: Printing Guide correction/addition suggestion
eric & rosi wrote:
> I would like to help with gentoo, as I use it and love it, but I don't
> see a corrections link for:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#hplip
>
> First off, great guide, worked fine < 5 minutes to get printing (less
> compile time).
>
> Printer is an HP PSC 1210, so I installed cups/started cups, then
> hplip. However, in the cups web interface, the driver did Not appear
> right away, in fact the incorrect one which tries to go straight to the
> usb printer was the only one that showed up at first ??
>
> A re-install of cups (and restart), and the correct driver appeared.
>
> I un-installed each product and tried again to diagnose what is actually
> required:
> Only a restart of cupsd ( WITH hplip started) is required. This
> problem is re-creatable after installing and can be re-created any
> number of times.
>
> As it potentially can confuse people to see only the wrong straight-USB
> option and not the right one, can I reccommend changing the following line:
> --------------------------------
> When the emerge process has finished, the printer drivers will be
> available through the CUPS web interface.
> --------------------------------
> TO:
> ---------------------------------
> When the emerge process has finished, the printer drivers will be
> available through the CUPS web interface (a restart of cups is required
> after hplip is started).
> ----------------------------------
>
> NOTE: This order dependency is not true to use Defined printers, order
> is only important for adding a printer.
>
> I tested this twice, and I believe it to be correct.
> All product versions are current stable branch ( no ~ flags for these
> products).
>
> HTH
>
> Eric Aksomitis
> aksomitis@mail.com

Thank you for reporting this. Errors, corrections and suggestions in
Gentoo documentation can be submitted in our bug tracking system at:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Documentation

I've forwarded this to the Gentoo Documentation Project.

Thanks again

--Curtis