Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: gcc-upgrading.xml
Marcelo Goes wrote:
> vanquirius 06/03/01 01:54:04
>
> Modified: xml/htdocs/doc/en gcc-upgrading.xml
> Log:
> 3.4.4->3.4.5, add "(Please substitute "i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5" with the GCC
> version and CHOST settings you've upgraded to:)" to all codelists that
> have gcc-config in them. Reported by Justin R Eylander
> <jeylande at cs dot indiana dot edu> via e-mail.

Hi,
I'm not sure if it was a lucky change :(, gcc-3.4.5 is not stable on all
arches:

jkt@slon ~ $ grep KEYWORDS /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.4.5*
/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.4.5-r1.ebuild:KEYWORDS="-* arm ~mips sh
~x86"
/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.4.5.ebuild:KEYWORDS="-* ~amd64 ~arm
~hppa ~ia64 mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 sh sparc x86"

And BTW, <note>s mentioning the need to substitute the CHOST/version
stuff *were* already included so the present state of the guide tells it
twice. Could you please fix that?

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: gcc-upgrading.xml [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 3/1/06, Jan Kundrát <jkt@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not sure if it was a lucky change :(, gcc-3.4.5 is not stable on all
> arches:

3.4.5 may not be stable on all arches, but it is in x86. Our example
is for an i686 compiler, so whomever is not using x86 will have to
adapt the code anyway. Now it at least works for someone with a
copy+paste, as opposed to not working for anyone.

> And BTW, <note>s mentioning the need to substitute the CHOST/version
> stuff *were* already included so the present state of the guide tells it
> twice. Could you please fix that?

Hmmm, I agree that for an intelligent person it may seen redundant,
but looking at the note:

"Note: This assumes that you have CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" set. If
you are using another CHOST, please use the appropriate gcc-config
line."

a) It only mentions CHOST, not gcc version
b) The piercing red text explains exactly what to do, while the note
is more of an explanation

Comments?

Cheers,
Marcelo
--
Marcelo Góes
marcelogoes@gmail.com

Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: gcc-upgrading.xml [ In reply to ]
Marcelo Góes wrote:
> 3.4.5 may not be stable on all arches, but it is in x86. Our example
> is for an i686 compiler

Er, good point, sorry.

> Hmmm, I agree that for an intelligent person it may seen redundant,
> but looking at the note:
>
> "Note: This assumes that you have CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" set. If
> you are using another CHOST, please use the appropriate gcc-config
> line."
>
> a) It only mentions CHOST, not gcc version
> b) The piercing red text explains exactly what to do, while the note
> is more of an explanation
>
> Comments?

I've removed the <note>s.

Cheers,