Mailing List Archive

Using guide.xsl stylesheet to format my own pages
Hi,
I'm a member of the Italian Translation Team and I'd like to know if I
can put on my public site html documents produced by using the
guide.xsl stylesheet that I'm using to test the documentation offline,
which has been produced by Sven Vermeulen (if I remember well).. As
you know, the output document has the Gentoo logo and some sponsors on
the page.. I'd like to use that output pages as they are, but I'd like
to know If I must ask someone for permission..

Thank you in advance,
Gianni

--
~-- Free Software Foundation Member #3844 ---~
~--------------------------------------------------------------~
Re: Using guide.xsl stylesheet to format my own pages [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:49:21PM +0100, Gianni Costanzi wrote:
> I'm a member of the Italian Translation Team and I'd like to know if I
> can put on my public site html documents produced by using the
> guide.xsl stylesheet that I'm using to test the documentation offline,
> which has been produced by Sven Vermeulen (if I remember well).. As
> you know, the output document has the Gentoo logo and some sponsors on
> the page.. I'd like to use that output pages as they are, but I'd like
> to know If I must ask someone for permission..

Legally or humane?

Legally you should adhere to the name/logo guidelines. Humane (which is more
important anyway) tells you that, if the documentation is meant for Gentoo
anyway (for instance because it is for testing, feedback requests, ...)
there is absolutely no problem.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

--
Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org
Gentoo Council Member

The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>
Re: Using guide.xsl stylesheet to format my own pages [ In reply to ]
Ok, thank you very much Sven.. If I'll use the guide.xsl it will be
only for something related to Gentoo, for me and my friends and not
for some commercial work :-) (btw, I've read the name/logo guidelines)

Thank you,
Gianni

2006/1/14, Sven Vermeulen <swift@gentoo.org>:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:49:21PM +0100, Gianni Costanzi wrote:
> > I'm a member of the Italian Translation Team and I'd like to know if I
> > can put on my public site html documents produced by using the
> > guide.xsl stylesheet that I'm using to test the documentation offline,
> > which has been produced by Sven Vermeulen (if I remember well).. As
> > you know, the output document has the Gentoo logo and some sponsors on
> > the page.. I'd like to use that output pages as they are, but I'd like
> > to know If I must ask someone for permission..
>
> Legally or humane?
>
> Legally you should adhere to the name/logo guidelines. Humane (which is more
> important anyway) tells you that, if the documentation is meant for Gentoo
> anyway (for instance because it is for testing, feedback requests, ...)
> there is absolutely no problem.
>
> Wkr,
> Sven Vermeulen
>
> --
> Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org
> Gentoo Council Member
>
> The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>

--
~-- Gentoo Documentation Project - Italian Translator --~
Re: Using guide.xsl stylesheet to format my own pages [ In reply to ]
Gianni Costanzi wrote:
> Ok, thank you very much Sven.. If I'll use the guide.xsl it will be
> only for something related to Gentoo, for me and my friends and not
> for some commercial work :-) (btw, I've read the name/logo guidelines)
>
> Thank you,
> Gianni
>
> 2006/1/14, Sven Vermeulen <swift@gentoo.org>:
>> Legally you should adhere to the name/logo guidelines. Humane (which is more
>> important anyway) tells you that, if the documentation is meant for Gentoo
>> anyway (for instance because it is for testing, feedback requests, ...)
>> there is absolutely no problem.
>>
>> Wkr,
>> Sven Vermeulen

Hi Gianni,

Thanks for asking. Sven said it all about using the current Gentoo look.
You might want to use a refreshed version of that Jurassic guide.xsl.
I created a new guide.xsl that supports recent additions to GuideXML including
the date formatting and localised inserts, all in a single file.
It is not much more than a dump of all the xsl that is used by guide.xsl, the
month names and all inserts, without metadoc checks and a few tweaks, mainly
in links.
As a full guide.xsl is a bit large, so I also removed support for all foreign
languages and made an English only one, and especially for you, one with
support for Italian :)

All languages: http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/g.xsl
English only: http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/g-en.xsl
w/ support for Italian: http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/g-it.xsl

/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
/
/\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/
Re: Using guide.xsl stylesheet to format my own pages [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much Xavier for the work you have done!
I appreciated also the italian version of the guide.xsl :D

PS: I'll forward your email also onto the italian mailing list :-)

Gianni

Gentoo Rulezzzz :-)