Category's metadata.xml could be used too (for example,
sys-kernel/metadata.xml should contain a link to kernel-guide.xml,
this document need to be updated really, gentoo-dev-sources have died
for months and should be removed from the doc).
I'd like to know doc team's comment first before post it to
gentoo-dev. Any comment?
--
Bi Cờ Lao

Re: linking between portage and relevant documents [ In reply to ]
pclouds wrote:
> Hi,
> While translating documents, i found that several documents have not
> updated to reflect current packages in portage (sorry i forgot most of
> them).

That's not very helpful then.
If you find that a doc that needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed, as simple
as that. Please file a bug, a patch, send a mail, whatever.

> I would like to suggest making a link between a document and
> relevant packages. Then we could encourage devs to check these
> documents when they update packages and suggest doc team to fix docs.
> It'd also be useful for users if we publish these info on
> packages.g.o, show links to documents revelant to packages.
> These info could be stored in package's metadata.xml (for example
> alsa* package's metadata.xml would have a link to alsa-guide.xml).
> Category's metadata.xml could be used too (for example,
> sys-kernel/metadata.xml should contain a link to kernel-guide.xml,
> this document need to be updated really, gentoo-dev-sources have died
> for months and should be removed from the doc).
> I'd like to know doc team's comment first before post it to
> gentoo-dev. Any comment?

Adding a <doc> tag to metadata.xml has been discussed recently on -dev.
Once the guys in charge of metadata.xml have implemented support for it, and
once the devs have added the info to their packages' metadata.xml, and once
the guys in charge of p.g.o use it, it will magically work.
None of that is in the hands of GDP.

/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
/ French & Internationalisation Lead
\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en
/\
Re: linking between portage and relevant documents [ In reply to ]
On 12/18/05, Xavier Neys <neysx@gentoo.org> wrote:
> pclouds wrote:
> > Hi,
> > While translating documents, i found that several documents have not
> > updated to reflect current packages in portage (sorry i forgot most of
> > them).
>
> That's not very helpful then.
> If you find that a doc that needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed, as simple
> as that. Please file a bug, a patch, send a mail, whatever.
Ok, so here what i've still remembered:
- colinux-howto.xml needs to be updated. It uses 2.4 and said that
2.6 is not possible. 2.6 is possible now. Also there is another way to
setup networking in colinux (as described in
http://wiki.colinux.org/cgi-bin/coLinuxNetworking#head-50014b6fc00ec98d0eaac65e39346e5bbfe41a37)
- gentoo-kernel.xml: please remove gentoo-dev-sources and updated
other sources if needed (i don't use them so i can't tell)
- utf-8.xml said that nano does not support utf-8 but i heard in
gentoo-dev that nano has supported utf-8. Please verify.

> > I would like to suggest making a link between a document and
> > relevant packages. Then we could encourage devs to check these
> > documents when they update packages and suggest doc team to fix docs.
> > It'd also be useful for users if we publish these info on
> > packages.g.o, show links to documents revelant to packages.
> > These info could be stored in package's metadata.xml (for example
> > alsa* package's metadata.xml would have a link to alsa-guide.xml).
> > Category's metadata.xml could be used too (for example,
> > sys-kernel/metadata.xml should contain a link to kernel-guide.xml,
> > this document need to be updated really, gentoo-dev-sources have died
> > for months and should be removed from the doc).
> > I'd like to know doc team's comment first before post it to
> > gentoo-dev. Any comment?
>
> Adding a <doc> tag to metadata.xml has been discussed recently on -dev.
> Once the guys in charge of metadata.xml have implemented support for it, and
> once the devs have added the info to their packages' metadata.xml, and once
> the guys in charge of p.g.o use it, it will magically work.
> None of that is in the hands of GDP.

If <doc> was added to metadata.dtd, who would be responsible for
maintaining it? Ebuild maintainers or doc team?
--
Bi Cờ Lao

Re: linking between portage and relevant documents [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 20:19 +0900, pclouds wrote:
> If <doc> was added to metadata.dtd, who would be responsible for
> maintaining it? Ebuild maintainers or doc team?

The DTD is maintained by pauldv. Individual entries in metadata.xml
would be up to the individual ebuild writers, as many of the GDP do not
have access to gentoo-x86 and something like this should be left up to
the maintainers, as they know the packages best.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead