Mailing List Archive

Slow modem connection in FAQ
Hi list

I write here, because I wonder such strange ansfer about question
"I have only slow modem connection at home.
Can I download sources somewhere else and add them to my system?"

Generally most time of gentoo installation is compilation time of packages,
I think it is fine idea to make download packages parallel with compilation.

So answer should be something like:

Open first console (or first chroot environment)

$ emerge --fetchonly what_you_want

Open second console (or second chroot environment)

$ emerge what_you_want

This make parallel compilation/download except first packet
emerged in what_you_want.

I think people already know this trick, but it is not show in FAQ

__
Regards
Staszek Gruszka

Re: Slow modem connection in FAQ [ In reply to ]
> This make parallel compilation/download except first packet
> emerged in what_you_want.
>
> I think people already know this trick, but it is not show in FAQ

This will not always work. It is possible (likely, in fact) that two
fetches for a given file begin simultaneously, leading to a corrupted
download. It would be better to just wait for parallel_fetch [1]

Cheers.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-portage-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg00669.html
--
Arun Raghavan
(http://nemesis.accosted.net)

Re: Slow modem connection in FAQ [ In reply to ]
> I write here, because I wonder such strange ansfer about question
> "I have only slow modem connection at home.
> Can I download sources somewhere else and add them to my system?"

Yes, you can. Download the sources and place them in
/usr/portage/distfiles (I believe) and portage should detect them when
compiling a ebuild.

Thanks,
Andrew Morritt

Re: Slow modem connection in FAQ [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 December 2005 18:53, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > This make parallel compilation/download except first packet
> > emerged in what_you_want.
> >
> > I think people already know this trick, but it is not show in FAQ
>
> This will not always work. It is possible (likely, in fact) that two
> fetches for a given file begin simultaneously, leading to a corrupted
> download. It would be better to just wait for parallel_fetch [1]

With FEATURES="distlocks" (enabled by default) it shouldn't be a problem.

> [1]
http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-portage-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg00669.html

This patch just integrates the 'emerge -f ... & emerge ...' trick directly
into emerge itself. There's essentially no difference between doing it
manually or emerge doing it for you other than the patch providing a sanity
check for FEATURES="distlocks" being enabled.

--
Jason Stubbs

Re: Slow modem connection in FAQ [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 of December 2005 13:56, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > This will not always work. It is possible (likely, in fact) that two
> > fetches for a given file begin simultaneously, leading to a corrupted
> > download. It would be better to just wait for parallel_fetch [1]
>
> With FEATURES="distlocks" (enabled by default) it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> > [1]
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-portage-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg00669.html
>
> This patch just integrates the 'emerge -f ... & emerge ...' trick directly
> into emerge itself. There's essentially no difference between doing it
> manually or emerge doing it for you other than the patch providing a sanity
> check for FEATURES="distlocks" being enabled.

Is there any reason for disable FEATURES="distlocks" ?
I think remove possibility disable it will make thinks clear and allow telling
newbie users how to install gentoo much faster with slow internet link.

--
Thanks
Staszek Gruszka

Re: Slow modem connection in FAQ [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 December 2005 22:52, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> Is there any reason for disable FEATURES="distlocks" ?
> I think remove possibility disable it will make thinks clear and allow
> telling newbie users how to install gentoo much faster with slow internet
> link.

It prevents being able to have DISTDIR on a samba share or anything else that
doesn't support advisory locking or hardlinks.

--
Jaosn Stubbs