Mailing List Archive

writing a doc about portage

Re: writing a doc about portage [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 06 of December 2005 10:34 Ricardo Loureiro wrote:
> I'm currently doing an implementation of portage on a lab environment
> as the final project of my graduation, and it involves putting
> portage on a relational database and using it to calculate
> dependencies, etc. As you may imagine, i'm pretty much re-writing
> some portage parts, and I will have to write how portage works on the
> final report.

Just out of couriosity - are you working together with gentoo-portage folks?

> Since I was unable to find much info apart from the dev's handdbook,
> is there interest in writing a doc for gentoo about this? I
> understand portage is going to change, and much of how it works will
> be outdated soon, but since I have to write it anyway and I have the
> change of writing it in english, is there any interest from
> gentoo-doc team on this?

Sure ;-), new documents are always more than welcome. If you do that in
GuideXML, we'll appreciate it, but any common text format is okay as well.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: writing a doc about portage [ In reply to ]
> On Tuesday 06 of December 2005 10:34 Ricardo Loureiro wrote:
>> I'm currently doing an implementation of portage on a lab environment
>> as the final project of my graduation, and it involves putting
>> portage on a relational database and using it to calculate
>> dependencies, etc. As you may imagine, i'm pretty much re-writing
>> some portage parts, and I will have to write how portage works on the
>> final report.
>
> Just out of couriosity - are you working together with gentoo-portage
> folks?

No. I sent an email when I started the project to gentoo-dev back in
August[1] and it was clear that such project would not benefict gentoo
itself but something like gentoo-server. My decision was to not bother
klieber until I had something real, ehich I hope to have by the end of
January.

>> Since I was unable to find much info apart from the dev's handdbook,
>> is there interest in writing a doc for gentoo about this? I
>> understand portage is going to change, and much of how it works will
>> be outdated soon, but since I have to write it anyway and I have the
>> change of writing it in english, is there any interest from
>> gentoo-doc team on this?
>
> Sure ;-), new documents are always more than welcome. If you do that in
> GuideXML, we'll appreciate it, but any common text format is okay as well.

Cool, I'll do it in GuideXML (I used to be a pt-PT translator). Thanks on
the feedback.

[1]-http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/30631

Ricardo Loureiro