--
Documentation & PR project leader

The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>
Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:04:36 +0200 Sven Vermeulen <swift@gentoo.org>
wrote:
| We already have interesting documents in our repository that are based
| on various forum threads. I'm going to start to convert interesting
| forum threads to gentoo documentation (when I receive confirmation
| from the original authors to have it released under the cc-by-sa 2.0
| license); I'll inform you guys about the documents when they come
| along.

I hope you check the accuracy *very* carefully. There's some really
nasty misinformation in a lot of those forums threads...

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 12:51:45PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> I hope you check the accuracy *very* carefully. There's some really
> nasty misinformation in a lot of those forums threads...

Certainly. I'm only going to focus on threads which I have sufficient
knowledge on. I'm perfectly aware about the false information that's
written in some (read: many) threads, I just don't have the time to go
correct them all manually (I'll leave that up to the community :)

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]

Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:04:36 +0200, Sven Vermeulen <swift@gentoo.org> wrote:
> We already have interesting documents in our repository that are based on
> various forum threads. I'm going to start to convert interesting forum
> threads to gentoo documentation (when I receive confirmation from the
> original authors to have it released under the cc-by-sa 2.0 license);

I thought gentoo-wiki.com did this for forum threads whereas the main
gentoo.org web site was for rubber-stamped, up-to-date documentation?
(at least that's the response I got when I asked about it at the UK
meet).

Paul

Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 04:42:17PM +0000, Paul Waring wrote:
> I thought gentoo-wiki.com did this for forum threads whereas the main
> gentoo.org web site was for rubber-stamped, up-to-date documentation?
> (at least that's the response I got when I asked about it at the UK
> meet).

I actually never really took the time to check out gentoo-wiki (it's not an
official Gentoo project even though the name might suggest it). I'm not sure
but I believe the gentoo-wiki uses the FDL as license for it's
documentation. The Gentoo Documentation Project requires the CC-BY-SA
license. And since a wiki might make it difficult to track authors it's
quite difficult to take information from the wiki and publicize it on
gentoo.org

But that's not why I don't take the wiki as a source...

I frequently visit the forums for information; people tend to be less
bounded by rules on the forum and therefore easily write whatever they feel
like writing about. Sometimes this leads to very interesting information.
I focus on the forums mainly because I'm used to them. So it's not like I
hate the wiki :)

The forums, for me, provide a place to see what the users find most
difficult with Gentoo or it's installation process. It gives me a good
feeling about how the community thinks, what they want and how they act.
Based on various threads I can create a document that helps people as much
as possible.

The wiki is a place where knowledgeable users try to write documentation on
aspects they find important enough to share with the rest of the world.
While this certainly is a noble target, it isn't always based on the
problems users have.

I don't copy information from the "Documentation, Tips & Tricks" section of
the forums; I copy information from the other forums, from lengthy threads
which are eventually resolved by some magical yet thoughtfull idea that a
user brought. And sometimes the answer is so damned clearly stated that I
can only ask the user's permission to reproduce it fully in a document.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]

Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 07:53:16PM +0200, Christian Hartmann wrote:
> | I actually never really took the time to check out gentoo-wiki
>
> Don't you think it would be a good thing(tm) to do so before continuing?

Yes, you're right. I've taken a look at the Wiki and the available
documents. There are quite a few HOWTOs out there, but I don't think the
subjects I had in mind are listed there (although I'll definitely take a
look once I've settled my mind on one).

> | (it's not an
> | official Gentoo project even though the name might suggest it).
>
> Who cares? It's working. Users like it. Users contribute.

Actually that was a reply to the sentiment that the wiki is for
documentation "staging" while gentoo.org is for "production". What I meant
to say is that it is not. It can, and some documentation developers might,
but it's not set in stone.

I personally can't since I develop documentation while I'm disconnected from
the hive^WInternet.

> I don't like wikis but I see that wikis like gentoo-wiki.com are working
> and growing and are really a big contribution. So why not make it an
> official project?

It's up to the infrastructure team if they want to support a Wiki, but I'm
not in favor of it as it's too easy to have wrong information listed (there
is hardly any quality control). I can only accept it in case updates are
reviewed by developers before submitted to the live documents.

> Whatever.. IMHO you're wasting resouces. Resources that would better be
> used to make existing docs better or create (the often requested)
> presentations that could be used at fairs etc.

I only write new documents when I cannot find existing documents to improve.
I'm far from knowledgeable on many topics, so many documentation bugs are
waiting on bgo for someone else to take a look at (see also our roadmap
[1]).

I'm working on presentations, but that's a rather difficult job without good
content :)

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/roadmap.xml

Re: Convert forum threads to documentation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 02:50:36PM +0200 or thereabouts, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> It's up to the infrastructure team if they want to support a Wiki,

I'm not opposed to supporting a wiki, but someone is going to have to write
a GLEP to describe how it's going to be used, who's going to take advantage
of it, etc. Basically, why it's a Good Thing to have.

We don't subscribe to the "if you build it, they will come" mentality.

--kurt