it shows what package each program belongs to).
I was wondering if it deserved a spot somewhere in the wiki page (maybe
with some
additional information, suggestions are more than welcome)
I attach the diagram in its current state:
[image: image.png]

Best regards,
- Tomas Fabrizio Orsi
Re: Suggestion: Flow diagram showing basic gentoo commands to help newcomers [ In reply to ]
On 20/07/2023 20.30, TOMAS FABRIZIO ORSI wrote:
> Hello gentoo doc mailing list.

Hi Tomas,

> Some time ago, I made a small flow diagram
> (link here: https://github.com/lima-limon-inc/gentoo-tools-cheat-sheet
> <https://github.com/lima-limon-inc/gentoo-tools-cheat-sheet>)
> that contains some simple, day to day tasks that need to be done
> in Gentoo.
> The diagram is by no means exhaustive, it only attempts to show
> "general" and
> simple tasks.
> The idea is to show 3rd party apps on a different color (and have an
> index where
> it shows what package each program belongs to).
> I was wondering if it deserved a spot somewhere in the wiki page (maybe
> with some
> additional information, suggestions are more than welcome)
> I attach the diagram in its current state:
> image.png

That is a very nice idea!

Some random remarks, without claim to completeness and correctness:

- I use "emerge --sync" instead of "emaint sync --auto", as it is
shorter. Not sure if its the canonical way these days.
- Instead of "Go to gpu-zugaina.org", I use "eix -R <name>". But this
requires running "eix-remote update" first.
- Not sure why there is an edge from "emerge -a" to "Check the guru
overlay".
- IMO there should be a security disclaimer as soon as an overlay is
installed.

- Flow