Mailing List Archive

Expanding categories' descriptions
Hello,

I believe it's necessary to bring this matter here. I think it's a good
idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found in the corresponding
/metadata.xml/ files) with more accurate descriptions of which packages
are welcome to fit in which categories.

The current descriptions are very vague and aren't probably in the best
shape to bring users' a good idea what certain category is about and
what packages are to be found there.

This can also be an issue for (new) ebuild-writers (either
user-contributing ebuilds or just gentoo developers that are not sure
about it).

This is of course checked by a gentoo developer if new ebuilds are to be
submitted via the bugzilla, but I still think we should provide a better
understanding of the categories.

If expanding the /metadata.xml/ files does not seem a good idea, we
should at least make a little bit more comprehensive description
somewhere in the /gentoo.org/doc// or /wiki.gentoo.org/ pages.

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Denis M. (Phr33d0m)
Re: Expanding categories' descriptions [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 30 March 2013 16:17:49 Denis M. wrote:
> Hello,

please do not send html e-mails
-mike
Re: Expanding categories' descriptions [ In reply to ]
On Mar 30, 2013 9:18 PM, "Denis M." <god@politeia.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I believe it's necessary to bring this matter here. I think it's a good
idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found in the corresponding
metadata.xml files) with more accurate descriptions of which packages are
welcome to fit in which categories.

Hi Denis,

You should suggest this on gentoo-dev mailinglist.

Wkr,
Sven