Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades.
El 11/10/11 20:55, Markos Chandras escribió:
> On 10/11/11 19:50, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Today I have found that build dependencies are left in the system
> > but won't be upgraded when running emerge -vauD1 world. This can be
> > inconvenient since security issues fixed in those left over
> > packages won't be applied properly. So, is there any reason for
> > this behaviour? Shouldn't build dependencies either be cleaned with
> > --depclean after building or be upgraded to avoid possible issues?
>
> > Sorry if this gets in here twice, I used an incorrect account.
>

> Maybe you want the --with-bdeps parameter along with the -D one?. man
> emerge -> section Options -> parameter -D
That makes sense but then the problem is on the poor documentation we
have in the Internet.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
Here no mention to that option is made
Nor is in:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml

And in fact no mention to the option is made in the doc space at all. I
may also be wrong here but I don't recall finding it when I started with
portage and no notice was issued since then so either I misunderstood
it, kinda likely by then, or it was added later. And the fact it wasn't
commented at all in the documentation didn't help.

The question now is anybody thinks this shouldn't appear in the
handbook? If nobody has a problem I'll prepare a patch.

PS: howarang thanks for the point I found it really odd this was missing.
Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
(klondike) <klondike@gentoo.org> wrote:
> El 11/10/11 20:55, Markos Chandras escribió:
>> On 10/11/11 19:50, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > Today I have found that build dependencies are left in the system
>> > but won't be upgraded when running emerge -vauD1 world. This can be
>> > inconvenient since security issues fixed in those left over
>> > packages won't be applied properly. So, is there any reason for
>> > this behaviour? Shouldn't build dependencies either be cleaned with
>> > --depclean after building or be upgraded to avoid possible issues?
>>
>> > Sorry if this gets in here twice, I used an incorrect account.
>>

>> Maybe you want the --with-bdeps parameter along with the -D one?. man
>> emerge -> section Options -> parameter -D
> That makes sense but then the problem is on the poor documentation we
> have in the Internet.
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
> Here no mention to that option is made
> Nor is in:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
>
> And in fact no mention to the option is made in the doc space at all. I
> may also be wrong here but I don't recall finding it when I started with
> portage and no notice was issued since then so either I misunderstood
> it, kinda likely by then, or it was added later. And the fact it wasn't
> commented at all in the documentation didn't help.
>
> The question now is anybody thinks this shouldn't appear in the
> handbook? If nobody has a problem I'll prepare a patch.
>
> PS: howarang thanks for the point I found it really odd this was missing.

Hi there,

You may find --complete-graph to be useful also.

Matthew W. Summers
Gentoo Foundation Inc.
Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades. [ In reply to ]
El 11/10/11 21:36, Alec Warner escribió:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
> (klondike) <klondike@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe you want the --with-bdeps parameter along with the -D one?. man
>>> emerge -> section Options -> parameter -D
>> That makes sense but then the problem is on the poor documentation we
>> have in the Internet.
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
>> Here no mention to that option is made
>> Nor is in:
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
>>
>> And in fact no mention to the option is made in the doc space at all. I
>> may also be wrong here but I don't recall finding it when I started with
>> portage and no notice was issued since then so either I misunderstood
>> it, kinda likely by then, or it was added later. And the fact it wasn't
>> commented at all in the documentation didn't help.
>>
>> The question now is anybody thinks this shouldn't appear in the
>> handbook? If nobody has a problem I'll prepare a patch.
>>
>> PS: howarang thanks for the point I found it really odd this was missing.
>>

> FYI: there are a truckload of options that are available in portage
> but are not documented in the handbook. I'm not really sure
> replicating the portage manpages in the handbook is necessarily a good
> way to move forward. Ideally we would direct users to just read the
> manpages.
Antarus, an user who has read the whole installation handbook and is new
to the distro should by then have a lot of new ideas in mind to direct
them to man pages written in a more technical way creating even more
confusion. Add to to that any search on how to update / upgrade Gentoo
and you will find the same set of commands almost always:
$ emerge -u world
$ emerge -uD world
With no references to other parameters at all. Which can make users
assume that it is a safe default. If you look in the docs I provided
you'll see it is the case.
Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
(klondike) <klondike@gentoo.org> wrote:
> That makes sense but then the problem is on the poor documentation we
> have in the Internet.
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
> Here no mention to that option is made
> Nor is in:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml

There you go, updated in handbook and in Gentoo FAQ. The Gentoo
Upgrading guide itself refers to the handbook section but doesn't talk
about the command itself, so there was no need in updating that file.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen