Mailing List Archive

enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others.
Hi,

I ran into a problem yesterday and now that it is fixed, I wanted to
mention it here to see if you think the docs need to mention this. This
is a brief version. I built a new system that has a Nvidia card and a
LG monitor. I could not get the GUI to work and the nvidia drivers to
load properly. This is the relevant error:

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
found)

The problem turned out to be that CONFIG_SYSVIPC was missing in the
kernel. This is not just used by nvidia but it appears that at least in
some cases nvidia needs that in the kernel. This is not mentioned on
the nvidia driver docs page. I think it should be mentioned but it may
also be needed somewhere else and someone may want to test if ATI needs
the same option.

I'll leave it up to the experts to decide where this should be. If it
turns out that ATI needs this too, maybe it should be in the xorg
configure section to cover both Nvidia and ATI.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others. [ In reply to ]
Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
> I think that SYSVIPC should be enabled by everyone. Inter Process
> Communication in style of SystemV is good thing. My apps are using it
> so no one knows if it's not needed in n-number of developers. Also I
> like Shared Memory, Pipes, FIFO etc. This should be enabled in kernel
> by default.
>
> Mateusz M.

I don't disagree that other programs can use it but it took us all a
while to figure out why the nvidia drivers wasn't working. When the
problem started, I checked the things listed on the docs but did not
know to check this. This may very well need to be mentioned somewhere
else but it may need to be mentioned on the nvidia and possibly ATI
driver docs as well. This was a hair puller for sure and it is not
mentioned anywhere in the docs and we all know that Gentoo has some
awesome docs.

I don't mind filing a bug but wasn't sure if that was what was needed or
not. I certainly wouldn't want someone to go through the same as I
did. I was starting to look at hardware problems and buying things when
the fix was found. Bad thing is, new hardware would have done the same
thing.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others. [ In reply to ]
On 15/12/10 09:26, Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into a problem yesterday and now that it is fixed, I wanted to
> mention it here to see if you think the docs need to mention this. This
> is a brief version. I built a new system that has a Nvidia card and a
> LG monitor. I could not get the GUI to work and the nvidia drivers to
> load properly. This is the relevant error:
>
> (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
> found)
>
> The problem turned out to be that CONFIG_SYSVIPC was missing in the
> kernel. This is not just used by nvidia but it appears that at least in
> some cases nvidia needs that in the kernel. This is not mentioned on
> the nvidia driver docs page. I think it should be mentioned but it may
> also be needed somewhere else and someone may want to test if ATI needs
> the same option.
>
> I'll leave it up to the experts to decide where this should be. If it
> turns out that ATI needs this too, maybe it should be in the xorg
> configure section to cover both Nvidia and ATI.
>
> Let me know if you need more info.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Hi dale,

if it isn't properly checked during emerge, you should file a bug for
that. There is a eclass which can check during build whether needed
flags are enabled or not.

Cheers justin
Re: enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others. [ In reply to ]

Re: enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others. [ In reply to ]
@Dale - I think that XORG (xserver) ebuild should check SYSVIPC is enabled
and push some warnings on the screen like:

---
* Warning: SYSVIPC in your kernel configuration is not enabled. Some drivers
like nVidia properitary drivers
* depend on it and will not function properly when SYSVIPC disabled. Please
enable SYSVIPC to build and load
* that drivers.
---

or better push an error when building. As drivers still evaluate we don't
know what developer of some company will include Inter Process Communication
in projects and final builds of drivers.

Is there way to patch any kernel (like gentoo-sources) emerged with Gentoo
to enable this flag by default and set this as constant that cannot be
changed by user?

Mat.

--
Mateusz MierzwiƱski

Bluebox Software http://www.blueboxsoft.pl/mateusz-mierzwinski
Re: enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others. [ In reply to ]
Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
> @Dale - I think that XORG (xserver) ebuild should check SYSVIPC is
> enabled and push some warnings on the screen like:
>
> ---
> * Warning: SYSVIPC in your kernel configuration is not enabled. Some
> drivers like nVidia properitary drivers
> * depend on it and will not function properly when SYSVIPC disabled.
> Please enable SYSVIPC to build and load
> * that drivers.
> ---
>
> or better push an error when building. As drivers still evaluate we
> don't know what developer of some company will include Inter Process
> Communication in projects and final builds of drivers.
>
> Is there way to patch any kernel (like gentoo-sources) emerged with
> Gentoo to enable this flag by default and set this as constant that
> cannot be changed by user?
>
> Mat.

That sounds like a good idea too.

I don't want this to fall between the cracks. Has someone decided what
should be done and taken steps to make sure it is done? I didn't file a
bug report because I don't know what all else this will affect. I read
it affects more than just video drivers. According to someone else,
there are some packages that benefit/need this as well.

I just don't want someone else to go through what I did. I even bought
a new monitor because I thought it was messed up or something.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)