do so, I'm all for it. We desperately need the help.

Sincerely,

Josh
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Otherwise, I'll go ahead and take over the project.

I think you can go ahead :)

> There's a recent discussion on moving to git from CVS; maybe such a
> move would lower the barrier to community contribution. If it would
> do so, I'm all for it. We desperately need the help.

I don't see exactly how moving to git would lower the barrier?

I personally don't know git.

--
Camille Huot
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
On 11/01/10 17:01, Joshua Saddler wrote:
> Hi guys. As of today, Xavier Neys (neysx) has been retired by infra.
> So we need a new GDP lead. I've been poking people about this for a
> year or so now on IRC, asking if anyone was interested in taking
> over. Most folks have told me to just go ahead and do it, since
> I've kinda had that role, as a de facto position ever since neysx went
> MIA a long, long time ago.
>
> However, if anyone else has the inclination, skillz, time, etc. to
> take on the leadership role, please speak up. Otherwise, I'll go
> ahead and take over the project.
Go ahead! You're motivated which is a good start. :)

> On another note, we need some fresh blood. Translators can always use
> some folks, but we need s'more English speakers besides me to fix
> bugs and patch docs.
>
> There's a recent discussion on moving to git from CVS; maybe such a
> move would lower the barrier to community contribution. If it would
> do so, I'm all for it. We desperately need the help.

Honestly? I don't think git will make that big of a difference, but a
wiki system would certainly make me want to contribute more. I always
mess up the syntax and it ends up taking me twice as long as it should
to do documentation, which is a real de-motivator. It's not that the
syntax is hard, it's just that I so infrequently do documentation that I
forget things. :/

Anyway, good luck, you have my vote for project lead.
-Joe
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
On 14:01 Mon 01 Nov , Joshua Saddler wrote:
> Hi guys. As of today, Xavier Neys (neysx) has been retired by infra.
> So we need a new GDP lead. I've been poking people about this for a
> year or so now on IRC, asking if anyone was interested in taking
> over. Most folks have told me to just go ahead and do it, since
> I've kinda had that role, as a de facto position ever since neysx went
> MIA a long, long time ago.
>
> However, if anyone else has the inclination, skillz, time, etc. to
> take on the leadership role, please speak up. Otherwise, I'll go
> ahead and take over the project.

I thought you have already been the lead, ;)

> On another note, we need some fresh blood. Translators can always use
> some folks, but we need s'more English speakers besides me to fix
> bugs and patch docs.
>
> There's a recent discussion on moving to git from CVS; maybe such a
> move would lower the barrier to community contribution. If it would
> do so, I'm all for it. We desperately need the help.

+1

--
Zhang, Le
Gentoo/Loongson Developer
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
On 11/01/10 22:35, Camille Huot wrote:
> I don't see exactly how moving to git would lower the barrier?
>
> I personally don't know git.

Valid point. The thing is that with a decentralized version control
system you can create local commits and branches on the very same
"checkout" that you from a server you do _not_ have write access to.
You can take these commits and push them to another machine (called
"remote" in git).

So that difference especially counts for people who do not have
write/push access, i.e. people just starting to contribute.

Makes sense?

Best,

Sebastian

PS: I volunteer to teach the fundamentals of Git to any Gentoo dev
interested. Shouldn't take more than an hour. Skype, phone, IRC or Jabber.
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/01/10 17:01, Joshua Saddler wrote:
> > Hi guys. As of today, Xavier Neys (neysx) has been retired by infra.
> > So we need a new GDP lead. I've been poking people about this for a
> > year or so now on IRC, asking if anyone was interested in taking
> > over. Most folks have told me to just go ahead and do it, since
> > I've kinda had that role, as a de facto position ever since neysx went
> > MIA a long, long time ago.
> >
> > However, if anyone else has the inclination, skillz, time, etc. to
> > take on the leadership role, please speak up. Otherwise, I'll go
> > ahead and take over the project.
> Go ahead! You're motivated which is a good start. :)
>
> > On another note, we need some fresh blood. Translators can always use
> > some folks, but we need s'more English speakers besides me to fix
> > bugs and patch docs.
> >
> > There's a recent discussion on moving to git from CVS; maybe such a
> > move would lower the barrier to community contribution. If it would
> > do so, I'm all for it. We desperately need the help.
> >
> Honestly? I don't think git will make that big of a difference, but a
> wiki system would certainly make me want to contribute more. I always
> mess up the syntax and it ends up taking me twice as long as it should
> to do documentation, which is a real de-motivator. It's not that the
> syntax is hard, it's just that I so infrequently do documentation that I
> forget things. :/
>
> Anyway, good luck, you have my vote for project lead.
> -Joe

+1 here
If I want to contribute some stuff, I just go to gentoo wiki and write it
there. It is much much simpler. (
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Lenovo_Thinkpad_X60s)
If there is something related to control of the guides then maybe every wiki
page can be controlled by some managers of the global documentation.
At my work I have a local dokuwiki where I keep my notes and steps. The wiki
is just easy, and I do consider myself as a command line guy ;-)
So maybe we should really think about migrating to wiki format. It will be
much easier to communicate about pages, as the chatting is on the page
itself, and editing is really no brainer.

Regards,
Kfir
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
Previously you wrote:

> So maybe we should really think about migrating to wiki format. It will
> be much easier to communicate about pages, as the chatting is on the
> page itself, and editing is really no brainer.

I'm not part of the doc team. I write docs for myself, often
while I do the work. The above prose, has been proposed
numerous times, only to be shot down.

Seriously, separate wikis, one for the the
approve 'inner circle' and a separate wiki for us commoners,
would be keen and result in an explosion of useful
information. After all, isn't this what we have, except the
inner (doc) circle has no influence over the unofficial wiki?

After some time, the inner circle could find a way to
publish(convert) from either wiki to the form desired by the
inner circle (handbook?)....?

GIT is the future, so, when it is forced on me, sure, I'll
use it..... or just when something I really want, requires
me to read and learn about GIT in some detail......

James
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
> Seriously, separate wikis, one for the the
> approve 'inner circle' and a separate wiki for us commoners,
> would be keen and result in an explosion of useful
> information. After all, isn't this what we have, except the
> inner (doc) circle has no influence over the unofficial wiki?
>
> After some time, the inner circle could find a way to
> publish(convert) from either wiki to the form desired by the
> inner circle (handbook?)....?

Or why not simply have a way for the "official" docs team to mark a wiki
entry "approved" at a specific point in time? Wikiers could then continue
to edit it. A marker at the top could say "Reviewed on 2010-11-06 by
whomever@gentoo.org" and "edited 5 times since review:" with a hyperlink
to show a graphical diff between the current version and the approved
version.

-Mike
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:33:07 -0500
"Michael A. Smith" <michael@smith-li.com> wrote:

> > [... OT post ...]
>
> [... OT post ...]

Okay, wiki-type folks, first please go read any number of threads on
"wikis for Gentoo," both on gentoo-doc and gentoo-dev. And then take
your ideas to a new thread if desired; this is getting offtopic. :)
Re: A new lead [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 14:01:31 -0700
Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi guys. As of today, Xavier Neys (neysx) has been retired by infra.
> So we need a new GDP lead. I've been poking people about this for a
> year or so now on IRC, asking if anyone was interested in taking
> over. Most folks have told me to just go ahead and do it, since
> I've kinda had that role, as a de facto position ever since neysx
> went MIA a long, long time ago.
>
> However, if anyone else has the inclination, skillz, time, etc. to
> take on the leadership role, please speak up. Otherwise, I'll go
> ahead and take over the project.

All right . . . no objections, only "go for it" responses. (And the
obligatory silence.) I guess it's official. I'll be the new GDP lead.

Questions? Concerns? Comments? Ideas?
-> my inbox, or threads on this ML.

Patches?
-> bugzilla

Whines? Gripes?
-> /dev/null

. . . kidding. I'll listen to those, too. Whatever it is, I'll try to
get back to you ASAP. Email remains the best way to contact me at
this time, since I don't idle on IRC.

Thanks.