a bit of an issue that took a bit to resolve. My suggestion comes based
on what I did to resolve the issue.

Please add a reference to the X Server Configuration Howto that the
individual may require emerging xf86-input-evdev prior to execution of
the X server. In my case, that package wasn't automatically emerged
when I emerged the Xorg server.

Thanks!
Roger S.
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
Hello Roger,

On 06/01/10 02:55, Roger A. Simoneau wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I've been in the process of upgrading (been a couple years). I ran into
> a bit of an issue that took a bit to resolve. My suggestion comes based
> on what I did to resolve the issue.
>
> Please add a reference to the X Server Configuration Howto that the
> individual may require emerging xf86-input-evdev prior to execution of
> the X server. In my case, that package wasn't automatically emerged
> when I emerged the Xorg server.

from what you describe I have the impression that status quo may need
fixing rather than documentation.

How come xf86-input-evdev is needed but not a dependency?
Is it a bug in the ebuild? Was your usage unusual in any way?
Could you research that for us and come back with more details?

Thanks, best,

Sebastian
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Hello Roger,
>

> On 06/01/10 02:55, Roger A. Simoneau wrote:
>
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I've been in the process of upgrading (been a couple years). I ran into
>> a bit of an issue that took a bit to resolve. My suggestion comes based
>> on what I did to resolve the issue.
>>
>> Please add a reference to the X Server Configuration Howto that the
>> individual may require emerging xf86-input-evdev prior to execution of
>> the X server. In my case, that package wasn't automatically emerged
>> when I emerged the Xorg server.
>>
> from what you describe I have the impression that status quo may need
> fixing rather than documentation.
>
> How come xf86-input-evdev is needed but not a dependency?
> Is it a bug in the ebuild? Was your usage unusual in any way?
> Could you research that for us and come back with more details?
>
> Thanks, best,
>

> Sebastian

I just did a reinstall on my system and it appears to have pulled in the
drivers correctly. This is what equery shows:

smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-mouse
* These packages depend on xf86-input-mouse:
x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_mouse ?
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse)
smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-evdev
* These packages depend on xf86-input-evdev:
x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_evdev ?
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev)
smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-keyboard
* These packages depend on xf86-input-keyboard:
x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_keyboard ?
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard)
smoker-new ~ #

Also, when I emerged xorg, it pulled in evdev, keyboard and mouse
drivers as I have them set in make.conf. It even pulled in my nvidia
drivers since it is set in make.conf as well.

The biggest issue I ran into was a bad set of binaries that I copied
from the old system. Other than that, the install instructions seemed
to have been fine. I followed them since it has been a few years since
I did a install. I did find myself sort of lost for a bit tho. After
the reboot part, its like the install docs ran dry. I had to go search
the doc list to find the X and KDE part. I think it should have a link
to KDE, gnome and maybe a couple other options such as Fluxbox or
something. Sort of guide a person at least a little. This is a link to
the page I viewed:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=12

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
On 06/01/10 11:49, Dale wrote:
> I had to go search
> the doc list to find the X and KDE part. I think it should have a link
> to KDE, gnome and maybe a couple other options such as Fluxbox or
> something. Sort of guide a person at least a little. This is a link to
> the page I viewed:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=12

Agreed. There is a link to "Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources" on
that page but with the current wording around it I'd never click it for
anything.

Maybe you can make a "patch" and open a bug for it?

Thanks,

Sebastian
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
> > How come xf86-input-evdev is needed but not a dependency?
> > Is it a bug in the ebuild?

Good question. As far as I know with regards my usage, it's fine...
however, it has been some time since I updated so it would probably be a
good idea to review all the USE settings available. My USE settings are
as follows:

"a52 aac acpi alsa -arts -avahi bash-completion branding bzip2 cairo
calendar cddb cdinstall cdr cracklib crypt cscope css dbus dri dvd dvdr
dvdread eds emboss encode esd evo exif fam ffmpeg fftw firefox ftp gd
gif gimp glut gnome gphoto2 gpm gsl gstreamer gtk hal hddtemp icc java
java6 jpeg jpeg2k kde kerberos krb4 ldap libcaca mad midi mikmod mmx mp3
mpeg mplayer musicbrainz nls nocd nsplugin nvidia ogg opengl -oss pam
pdf php perl png postgres ppds qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime scanner sdl
sockets spell sse sse2 ssl svg svga tcl tcp tcpd tiff tk truetype
unicode usb videos vim-syntax vorbis win32codecs X xcomposite xml
xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc zlib"

Additionally, the INPUT_DEVICES is set to "evdev".

The stage3 version I used (downloaded some time ago) is
stage3-i686-20100126.tar.bz2. Perhaps what I experienced is something
already corrected. There was an associating portage at the time as
well, downloaded on Feb 20th.

> > Also, when I emerged xorg, it pulled in evdev, keyboard and mouse
> > drivers as I have them set in make.conf.

That's interesting.... it raises a question - at least to myself - if
there's a particular USE setting to trigger evdev. Examination of
the /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc file shows no indication of such. Is
there some other indicator that should be part of the make.conf file
beyond the USE settings and the INPUT_DEVICES setting?

Final note: for my rebuild, I'm doing so on a separate partition, logged
in there so it should be a clean environment to work in.

Roger S.
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
>>> Also, when I emerged xorg, it pulled in evdev, keyboard and mouse
>>> drivers as I have them set in make.conf.
>>>
> That's interesting.... it raises a question - at least to myself - if
> there's a particular USE setting to trigger evdev. Examination of
> the /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc file shows no indication of such. Is
> there some other indicator that should be part of the make.conf file
> beyond the USE settings and the INPUT_DEVICES setting?
>
> Final note: for my rebuild, I'm doing so on a separate partition, logged
> in there so it should be a clean environment to work in.
>
> Roger S.

On my system, this is the line that tells portage to pull in the
keyboard and mouse drivers:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"

This line tells it I use nvidia drivers:

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv"

Nothing in my USE line that would pull them it that I can see. That
should also work on yours if you have those in your make.conf. Also,
you should get the same result if you unpack the tarball then do a
emerge --sync. This isn't in the guide but as soon as I do the chroot,
I sync and do a emerge -uvDNa world to make sure everything is up to
date. After that I get all the portage helpers, gentoolkit, eix and
friends then go back to the guide. I'm not sure I would recommend that
to be in the guide but it is how I always do it.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> On 06/01/10 11:49, Dale wrote:
>
>> I had to go search
>> the doc list to find the X and KDE part. I think it should have a link
>> to KDE, gnome and maybe a couple other options such as Fluxbox or
>> something. Sort of guide a person at least a little. This is a link to
>> the page I viewed:
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=12
>>
> Agreed. There is a link to "Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources" on
> that page but with the current wording around it I'd never click it for
> anything.
>
> Maybe you can make a "patch" and open a bug for it?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Sebastian

I don't even claim to know anything about xml. We're on the right list
so maybe one of the doc people will see this thread and make the needed
changes.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
On 06/02/10 04:39, Roger A. Simoneau wrote:
> Additionally, the INPUT_DEVICES is set to "evdev".

INPUT_DEVICES's content is expanded to use flags starting with
"input_device_", e.g. "input_device_evdev".

It should appear in USE_EXPAND for you:

# emerge --info --verbose | fgrep -i EXPAND | fgrep INPUT_DEVICES

The ebuild of x11-base/xorg-drivers is sensitive to that use flag.
Is it shown for

# equery depgraph --depth=1 x11-base/xorg-drivers | fgrep -i evdev

? Any insights so far?

Best,

Sebastian
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
> > # emerge --info --verbose | fgrep -i EXPAND | fgrep INPUT_DEVICES

> > # equery depgraph --depth=1 x11-base/xorg-drivers | fgrep -i evdev

Hey Sabastian;

The only item that showed up for the first query was INPUT_DEVICES,
nothing else.

The second query found 3 references to xf86...evdev.

Roger
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
On 06/03/10 03:09, Roger A. Simoneau wrote:
> The second query found 3 references to xf86...evdev.

How was evdev not installed when you first started Xorg?
Did you re-emerge things with different settings after?

Best,

Sebastian
Re: Xorg Documentation Suggestion [ In reply to ]
> > How was evdev not installed when you first started Xorg?

I really have no idea. I haven't changed any settings since I first
reported the anomaly.

> > Did you re-emerge things with different settings after?
Nope, but I did start a cleanup process last night after having read
through Dale's rundown on what he does.

I guess for the moment, I'll have to chalk the situation up to a really
bizzare anomaly. Once I've stepped everything, I'll be rebuilding again
(always do the process twice, once into a sandbox, the second into the
main). However, the rebuild will consist of the latest files at the
time I start that so at this point I don't really expect the issue to
resurface.

Roger S.