Mailing List Archive

Council meeting summary for 10 April 2008
Hi all,

Here is the summary from today's council meeting. The complete log will
show up at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/ shortly.

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: Council meeting summary for 10 April 2008 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 04:50:52PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Ways to track commit stats of various sorts came up, such as cia.vc
> and ohloh. cia seems to have too much downtime to rely on. ciaranm
> talked with ohloh people already. ohloh would require some
> modifications to ohcount to recognize ebuilds and eclasses, and a
> full copy of the cvs repository to start, but it seems worth
> exploring. Betelgeuse said he would tar up a copy of the gentoo-x86
> repo.
Having OhLoh would be nice, but over the course of the last year,
they've found that their system is not really capable of handling the
scope of the gentoo-x86 CVS tree.

Their system tries to get the full history every time, which is a design
issue. See the constant failures here:
http://www.ohloh.net/projects/gentoo/enlistments?query=gentoo-x86&sort=module_name&commit=Update

I did get in touch with them a year ago:
http://www.ohloh.net/forums/11/topics/183
This moved to private email, and I suggested some changes to how they
were doing it, as well as telling them how to fetch the gentoo-x86 tree
with rsync - but they (Robin Luckey) never got back to me beyond that.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
Re: Council meeting summary for 10 April 2008 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:21:20 -0700
"Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Having OhLoh would be nice, but over the course of the last year,
> they've found that their system is not really capable of handling the
> scope of the gentoo-x86 CVS tree.

As I understand it, they need a full history to start off. But once
they have that, it's just a case of pulling every commit, which they
should be able to handle. Jason Allen said today that a tarball of the
repo should probably be enough to get it working.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Council meeting summary for 10 April 2008 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:28:43AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:21:20 -0700
> "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Having OhLoh would be nice, but over the course of the last year,
> > they've found that their system is not really capable of handling the
> > scope of the gentoo-x86 CVS tree.
> As I understand it, they need a full history to start off. But once
> they have that, it's just a case of pulling every commit, which they
> should be able to handle. Jason Allen said today that a tarball of the
> repo should probably be enough to get it working.
That's why I setup them up with the ability to rsync it, and they never
got back to me on that, nor used it ever.

Re: Council meeting summary for 10 April 2008 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:37:31 -0700
"Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> That's why I setup them up with the ability to rsync it, and they
> never got back to me on that, nor used it ever.

Hrm, curious. They seem interested and alive currently. Perhaps it's
worth another shot...

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Council meeting summary for 10 April 2008 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:41:09AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:37:31 -0700
> "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > That's why I setup them up with the ability to rsync it, and they
> > never got back to me on that, nor used it ever.
> Hrm, curious. They seem interested and alive currently. Perhaps it's
> worth another shot...
Get Robin Lackey @ OhLoh to mail me again then. I'm busy the next week
as I'm at the MySQL conference in Santa Clara, but it's just a matter of
giving him the access details again.

Re: Council meeting summary for 10 April 2008 [ In reply to ]
Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:37:31 -0700
> "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> That's why I setup them up with the ability to rsync it, and they
>> never got back to me on that, nor used it ever.
>
> Hrm, curious. They seem interested and alive currently. Perhaps it's
> worth another shot...

I also queried them on the forum earlier this year, since none of my
commits were listed. Here's the link (I do think this is worth looking
into - note that the response what that they did not do CVS...):

http://www.ohloh.net/forums/10/topics/1278

-Joe