Mailing List Archive

Project Update: qt-4
Just a quick update on the happens in the x11-libs/qt world, as I'm introducing some
changes that will probably affect people in the not-to-distant future.

Since Qt is starting to get rather, ahem, big, I've decided that with the
introduction of version 4.4 it's a good time to try and split it down into more
manageable chunks. I'm introducing a few new packages that are designed to break
out some of the major pieces into their own packages. I present:

x11-libs/qt
x11-libs/qt-dbus ( Breaking out into its own package )
x11-libs/qt-phonon ( New for 4.4, a wrapper around various sound modules )
x11-libs/qt-qt3support ( Breaking out into its own package )
x11-libs/qt-webkit ( New for 4.4, Qt's integrated WebKit support )

There may be some more of these as time goes on and necessity/desire dictate.

The main motivation behind doing this is to make the package a little more
manageable, in that it's not one huge monolithic package with a million use flags
dictating which modules get built. This should make dependant package maintenance
nicer, as you can just depend on the necessary packages and not have to resort to
the built_with_use trickery that we all love so much.

As well, we gain in the same vein as the split KDE style packages, that updates and
security fixes don't require a recompilation of all of the non-affected modules.

There are still lots of goodies that need to be tested. I'm sure there are
edge-case USE flag scenarios that may need to be accounted for, performance tweaks
to be made, and other things I haven't thought of. If you're into bleeding edge,
I'd love to have you try out some of these new packages and see if you've got any
failures or ideas for making them better.

As usual, this stuff is all package.masked right now pending lots of tweaks and
changes in the short term. My guess is that it will hit portage proper by the end
of 1Q2008. Hopefully we can have it all happy by then.

Feel free to file any bug reports you can find or think of. Patches are especially
encouraged.

Thanks,
Caleb

Re: Project Update: qt-4 [ In reply to ]
Caleb Tennis wrote:
> Since Qt is starting to get rather, ahem, big, I've decided that with the
> introduction of version 4.4 it's a good time to try and split it down into more
> manageable chunks. I'm introducing a few new packages that are designed to break
> out some of the major pieces into their own packages. I present:
>
> x11-libs/qt
> x11-libs/qt-dbus ( Breaking out into its own package )
> x11-libs/qt-phonon ( New for 4.4, a wrapper around various sound modules )
> x11-libs/qt-qt3support ( Breaking out into its own package )
> x11-libs/qt-webkit ( New for 4.4, Qt's integrated WebKit support )

Great news. Why don't you split everything, though? In qt-4.3.0-r2, I
see Core, Gui, Network, OpenGL, Sql, Script, Svg, Xml, Designer,
UiTools, Assistant, 3Support, Test and DBus and can certainly imagine
that at least putting the Gui out would make sense for console-based Qt
applications.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Project Update: qt-4 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:05 -0500, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> Just a quick update on the happens in the x11-libs/qt world, as I'm introducing some
> changes that will probably affect people in the not-to-distant future.
>
> Since Qt is starting to get rather, ahem, big, I've decided that with the
> introduction of version 4.4 it's a good time to try and split it down into more
> manageable chunks. I'm introducing a few new packages that are designed to break
> out some of the major pieces into their own packages. I present:
>
> x11-libs/qt
> x11-libs/qt-dbus ( Breaking out into its own package )
> x11-libs/qt-phonon ( New for 4.4, a wrapper around various sound modules )
> x11-libs/qt-qt3support ( Breaking out into its own package )
> x11-libs/qt-webkit ( New for 4.4, Qt's integrated WebKit support )
>
> There may be some more of these as time goes on and necessity/desire dictate.
>
> The main motivation behind doing this is to make the package a little more
> manageable, in that it's not one huge monolithic package with a million use flags
> dictating which modules get built. This should make dependant package maintenance
> nicer, as you can just depend on the necessary packages and not have to resort to
> the built_with_use trickery that we all love so much.
>
> As well, we gain in the same vein as the split KDE style packages, that updates and
> security fixes don't require a recompilation of all of the non-affected modules.
>
> There are still lots of goodies that need to be tested. I'm sure there are
> edge-case USE flag scenarios that may need to be accounted for, performance tweaks
> to be made, and other things I haven't thought of. If you're into bleeding edge,
> I'd love to have you try out some of these new packages and see if you've got any
> failures or ideas for making them better.
>
> As usual, this stuff is all package.masked right now pending lots of tweaks and
> changes in the short term. My guess is that it will hit portage proper by the end
> of 1Q2008. Hopefully we can have it all happy by then.
>
> Feel free to file any bug reports you can find or think of. Patches are especially
> encouraged.
>
> Thanks,
> Caleb

How about splitting qmake out to help with the WebKitGtk stuff, so we
don't have to dep on qt?

Or can't this be done as easy as the other parts?
--
Patrick Ohearn
Email: pat@ge3k.net

Re: Project Update: qt-4 [ In reply to ]
> Great news. Why don't you split everything, though? In qt-4.3.0-r2, I
> see Core, Gui, Network, OpenGL, Sql, Script, Svg, Xml, Designer,
> UiTools, Assistant, 3Support, Test and DBus and can certainly imagine
> that at least putting the Gui out would make sense for console-based Qt
> applications.

I'm definitely considering this. At the very least I'd like to make a qt-core
package with all of the non-GUI stuff in it, then have a gui package that has
everything else. It's a work in progress, but I'm hoping we can get it to this kind
of thing soon.

Caleb

Re: Project Update: qt-4 [ In reply to ]
> How about splitting qmake out to help with the WebKitGtk stuff, so we
> don't have to dep on qt?

In theory it can be done very easily, because qmake doesn't rely on any Qt
libraries. However, it DOES rely on all sorts of .prf and configure time option
files that are installed to the file system. But I'm hoping to get a very minimal
package together that will mitigate the need for a big Qt install for builing
WebKitGtk, yes.

Caleb

Re: Project Update: qt-4 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:37 -0500, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> > How about splitting qmake out to help with the WebKitGtk stuff, so we
> > don't have to dep on qt?
>
> In theory it can be done very easily, because qmake doesn't rely on any Qt
> libraries. However, it DOES rely on all sorts of .prf and configure time option
> files that are installed to the file system. But I'm hoping to get a very minimal
> package together that will mitigate the need for a big Qt install for builing
> WebKitGtk, yes.
>
> Caleb

Cool, thanks for the information :).
--
Patrick Ohearn
Email: pat@ge3k.net

Re: Project Update: qt-4 [ In reply to ]
This is a followup that I am now committing "qt4-build.eclass" with a lot of the
redundant functions for building Qt4 put into it.

The only packages that use/depend on it are currently masked, so feel free to
comment here with things you'd like to see changed in the eclass.

Caleb