Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-office/magicpoint: ChangeLog magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild
On 09:58 Mon 24 Sep , Christian Faulhammer (opfer) wrote:
> opfer 07/09/24 09:58:29
>
> Modified: ChangeLog
> Added: magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild
> Log:
> version bump, a lot of bugfixes; on Gentoo side we have better Emacs support; in total fixing bugs 150312, 83313 and 186754
> (Portage version: 2.1.3.9)

> # no parallel make possible!
> make -j1 Makefiles || die "emake failed"
> make clean || die "emake clean failed"
> make BINDIR=/usr/bin LIBDIR=/etc/X11 || die "emake failed"
> use emacs && cp contrib/*.el "${S}" && \
> elisp-compile *.el || die "elisp-compile failed"
> }
>
> src_install() {
> make \
> DESTDIR="${D}" \
> BINDIR=/usr/bin \
> LIBDIR=/etc/X11 \
> install || die "make install"
>
> make \
> DESTDIR="${D}" \
> DOCHTMLDIR=/usr/share/doc/${PF} \
> MANPATH=/usr/share/man \
> MANSUFFIX=1 \
> install.man || die "emake install.man failed"

Why not emake for all of these?

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-office/magicpoint: ChangeLog magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild [ In reply to ]
Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org>:

> On 09:58 Mon 24 Sep , Christian Faulhammer (opfer) wrote:
> > opfer 07/09/24 09:58:29
> >
> > Modified: ChangeLog
> > Added: magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild
> > Log:
> > version bump, a lot of bugfixes; on Gentoo side we have better
> > Emacs support; in total fixing bugs 150312, 83313 and 186754
> > (Portage version: 2.1.3.9)
>
> > # no parallel make possible!
> > make -j1 Makefiles || die "emake failed"
> > make clean || die "emake clean failed"
> > make BINDIR=/usr/bin LIBDIR=/etc/X11 || die "emake failed"
[...]
> > make \
[...]
> > make \
[...]
> Why not emake for all of these?

Because it fails, magicpoint's build system is really old and weird.
The comment above should state that, but the leftover -j1 I tried would
confuse the reader. Plus the stupid die comments.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-office/magicpoint: ChangeLog magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild [ In reply to ]
On Monday 24 September 2007, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org>:
> > On 09:58 Mon 24 Sep , Christian Faulhammer (opfer) wrote:
> > > opfer 07/09/24 09:58:29
> > >
> > > Modified: ChangeLog
> > > Added: magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild
> > > Log:
> > > version bump, a lot of bugfixes; on Gentoo side we have better
> > > Emacs support; in total fixing bugs 150312, 83313 and 186754
> > > (Portage version: 2.1.3.9)
> > >
> > > # no parallel make possible!
> > > make -j1 Makefiles || die "emake failed"
> > > make clean || die "emake clean failed"
> > > make BINDIR=/usr/bin LIBDIR=/etc/X11 || die "emake failed"
>
> [...]
>
> > > make \
>
> [...]
>
> > > make \
>
> [...]
>
> > Why not emake for all of these?
>
> Because it fails, magicpoint's build system is really old and weird.
> The comment above should state that, but the leftover -j1 I tried would
> confuse the reader. Plus the stupid die comments.

most people associate "emake" with "run in parallel" when in reality, that is
merely one of the things it provides

if something doesnt work in parallel, you use `emake -j1` ... using `make`
generally doesnt make sense anywhere
-mike
Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-office/magicpoint: ChangeLog magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>:

> > Because it fails, magicpoint's build system is really old and
> > weird. The comment above should state that, but the leftover -j1 I
> > tried would confuse the reader. Plus the stupid die comments.
> most people associate "emake" with "run in parallel" when in reality,
> that is merely one of the things it provides
> if something doesnt work in parallel, you use `emake -j1` ... using
> `make` generally doesnt make sense anywhere

I know the difference, but thanks. That comment has been added because
I tried it with emake -j1...it still failed, so I chose to use make.
And then forgot to remove the comment.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-office/magicpoint: ChangeLog magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild [ In reply to ]
On Monday 24 September 2007, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>:
> > > Because it fails, magicpoint's build system is really old and
> > > weird. The comment above should state that, but the leftover -j1 I
> > > tried would confuse the reader. Plus the stupid die comments.
> >
> > most people associate "emake" with "run in parallel" when in reality,
> > that is merely one of the things it provides
> > if something doesnt work in parallel, you use `emake -j1` ... using
> > `make` generally doesnt make sense anywhere
>
> I know the difference, but thanks. That comment has been added because
> I tried it with emake -j1...it still failed, so I chose to use make.
> And then forgot to remove the comment.

i dont see how (in the normal case) `emake -j1` would fail where `make` does
not ... they expand to the same effective behavior

`emake -j1` would generally turn into `make -j2 -j1` which has the same
behavior as the default `make`
-mike
Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-office/magicpoint: ChangeLog magicpoint-1.12a.ebuild [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>:

> > I know the difference, but thanks. That comment has been added
> > because I tried it with emake -j1...it still failed, so I chose to
> > use make. And then forgot to remove the comment.
> i dont see how (in the normal case) `emake -j1` would fail where
> `make` does not ... they expand to the same effective behavior
> `emake -j1` would generally turn into `make -j2 -j1` which has the
> same behavior as the default `make`

To prove you wrong, I tried it again...commit is on the way.
Whatever happened the first time...

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>