--
Regards, Matti Bickel
Signed/Encrypted email preferred (key 4849EC6C)
Re: Last rites: x11-wm/ion2 [ In reply to ]
Matti Bickel wrote:
> Hi,
> as previously mentioned, ion2 is currently broken (bug #167468) and
> going away in favour of the soon to be stable x11-wm/ion3.
>
> It will be p.masked and removed in 30 days unless someone speaks up and
> solves the issues surrounding slotted lua among others (see the bug for
> details).
didn't we yank ion from the tree because of upstream license problems?

--taco

Re: Last rites: x11-wm/ion2 [ In reply to ]
Mike Doty wrote:
> Matti Bickel wrote:
>> Hi,
>> as previously mentioned, ion2 is currently broken (bug #167468) and
>> going away in favour of the soon to be stable x11-wm/ion3.
>>
>> It will be p.masked and removed in 30 days unless someone speaks up and
>> solves the issues surrounding slotted lua among others (see the bug for
>> details).
> didn't we yank ion from the tree because of upstream license problems?

That's what I'd thought, too:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-559010.html

Did something change? Has upstream stopped being stupid? Is he an actual
human being now? Or is someone forking the code (but retaining the ion3
name)?
Re: Last rites: x11-wm/ion2 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 17:54 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
> Mike Doty wrote:
> > Matti Bickel wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> as previously mentioned, ion2 is currently broken (bug #167468) and
> >> going away in favour of the soon to be stable x11-wm/ion3.
> >>
> >> It will be p.masked and removed in 30 days unless someone speaks up and
> >> solves the issues surrounding slotted lua among others (see the bug for
> >> details).
> > didn't we yank ion from the tree because of upstream license problems?
>
> That's what I'd thought, too:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-559010.html
>
> Did something change? Has upstream stopped being stupid? Is he an actual
> human being now? Or is someone forking the code (but retaining the ion3
> name)?

Ehh... the Last Rites was for ion2, not ion3...

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Re: Last rites: x11-wm/ion2 [ In reply to ]
Dnia 11-09-2007, wto o godzinie 18:36 -0700, Chris Gianelloni
napisał(a):
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 17:54 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
> > Mike Doty wrote:

> > > didn't we yank ion from the tree because of upstream license problems?
> >
> > That's what I'd thought, too:
> >
> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-559010.html
> >
> > Did something change? Has upstream stopped being stupid? Is he an actual
> > human being now? Or is someone forking the code (but retaining the ion3
> > name)?
>
> Ehh... the Last Rites was for ion2, not ion3...

"as previously mentioned, ion2 is currently broken (bug #167468) and
going away in favour of the soon to be stable x11-wm/ion3."

So "in favour of ion3" right?
--
,-----------------------------.
| Dawid Węgliński |
Re: Last rites: x11-wm/ion2 [ In reply to ]
Dawid Węgliński wrote:
> Dnia 11-09-2007, wto o godzinie 18:36 -0700, Chris Gianelloni
> napisał(a):

>>> That's what I'd thought, too:
>>>
>>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-559010.html
>>>
>>> Did something change? Has upstream stopped being stupid? Is he an actual
>>> human being now? Or is someone forking the code (but retaining the ion3
>>> name)?
>> Ehh... the Last Rites was for ion2, not ion3...
>>
> "as previously mentioned, ion2 is currently broken (bug #167468) and
> going away in favour of the soon to be stable x11-wm/ion3."
>
> So "in favour of ion3" right?

Yeah, that's what I noticed. The weird thing is that it *was* pulled
from the tree entirely some time ago, so it can't be stabilized.

Is this just an old email suddenly sent out by the server? I got a
couple of ancient (months to 1 year+) messages the other day....maybe
the mail server needs kicking. It certainly keeps prompting me for my
password every time I check; bah.

mabi: 'sup? :)
Re: Last rites: x11-wm/ion2 [ In reply to ]
Mike Doty <kingtaco@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Matti Bickel wrote:
> > Hi,
> > as previously mentioned, ion2 is currently broken (bug #167468) and
> > going away in favour of the soon to be stable x11-wm/ion3.
> >
> > It will be p.masked and removed in 30 days unless someone speaks up and
> > solves the issues surrounding slotted lua among others (see the bug for
> > details).
> didn't we yank ion from the tree because of upstream license problems?

We did. That was an oversight on my part, as i still serve ion3 from my
dev-overlay over at overlays.gentoo.org. Bad habits telling everyone to
use that one instead, sorry.

The license still hasn't changed, so this situation will remain.
However, ion2 is definitly broken, as the bug explains.